center manager DR's business

tieguy

Banned
I do not see how driver releasing a business package saves you time? If the business was closed then he should not have left it. It is a potential claim for sure.

If he in fact handed it to a person then why not get the signature? You can't tell me the 5-10 seconds it takes to get the signature saved the time to deliver the other 20.

Even if he Driver Released 15-20 business stops it would have only saved like a couple minutes. What happens when that box comes up missing? A claim that is what. The shipper could care less about our staffing! They will say you mean you went there and met someone, why the hell not get the signature?!? Now we may have lost both the shipper and the receiver!!

We have all kinds of issues on our routes including our fellow loop drivers. Broken down trucks, accidents, road construction, misloads to deliver, out of the way OCA's, bad loads and so forth. We are professionals who care about our customers AND our company welfare. We care more about our customers than you because they are like our extended family and friends. We want to do what best for them and we are not going to "cut corners" and damage service quality just to avoid a miss on a printout.

I thank you for admitting it is a double standard.
your argument again focuses on one aspect of service and ignores the potential missed services that may have occured in this scenario. Otherwise I don't disagree that they should try to deliver every packaage correctly.

Unfortunately we will never know the true factors involved in the decision since we only have the deranged to inform us.

UPSNewbie

I do not see how driver releasing a business package saves you time? If the business was closed then he should not have left it. It is a potential claim for sure.

If he in fact handed it to a person then why not get the signature? You can't tell me the 5-10 seconds it takes to get the signature saved the time to deliver the other 20.

Even if he Driver Released 15-20 business stops it would have only saved like a couple minutes. What happens when that box comes up missing? A claim that is what. The shipper could care less about our staffing! They will say you mean you went there and met someone, why the hell not get the signature?!? Now we may have lost both the shipper and the receiver!!

We have all kinds of issues on our routes including our fellow loop drivers. Broken down trucks, accidents, road construction, misloads to deliver, out of the way OCA's, bad loads and so forth. We are professionals who care about our customers AND our company welfare. We care more about our customers than you because they are like our extended family and friends. We want to do what best for them and we are not going to "cut corners" and damage service quality just to avoid a miss on a printout.

I thank you for admitting it is a double standard.

your argument again focuses on one aspect of service and ignores the potential missed services that may have occured in this scenario. Otherwise I don't disagree that they should try to deliver every packaage correctly.

Unfortunately we will never know the true factors involved in the decision since we only have the deranged to inform us.

He said it rather bluntly...

screaming chicken, you could quite possibly be telling the truth, but you certainly don't present it. Resorting to name calling doesn't help your case one bit. Makes you seem like you are being unearthed with your huge fabrication to stir the poo-pot.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The reasons for the center manager's action dont matter. He is the boss, he gets to make those decisions, and he is accountable to Corporate and not the union for the consequences of those decisions. I will again point out that he does have an obligation to his people to make it clear to them that they are NOT entitled to make the same decisions and that they can be suspended, terminated or forced to pay many hundreds or thousands of dollars on a claim if they DO wind up making those same decisions.

As to whether or not a bargaining unit member should have been paid for the work the center manager did, that is a completely seperate issue from the legitimacy of the center manager's delivery methods. The contract does allow sups to do our work in an emergency in order to make service on the packages and I would tend to think that this situation would qualify as such.

Braveheart

The reasons for the center manager's action dont matter. He is the boss, he gets to make those decisions, and he is accountable to Corporate and not the union for the consequences of those decisions. I will again point out that he does have an obligation to his people to make it clear to them that they are NOT entitled to make the same decisions and that they can be suspended, terminated or forced to pay many hundreds or thousands of dollars on a claim if they DO wind up making those same decisions.

As to whether or not a bargaining unit member should have been paid for the work the center manager did, that is a completely seperate issue from the legitimacy of the center manager's delivery methods. The contract does allow sups to do our work in an emergency in order to make service on the packages and I would tend to think that this situation would qualify as such.
We have had the very same thing happen at my hub with a driver being arrested for personal issue and the on road called a cover driver and met him on area and they both did the route together. If you have to grab a part timer and use him as a jumper then that is what you do.

We have had the very same thing happen at my hub with a driver being arrested for personal issue and the on road called a cover driver and met him on area and they both did the route together. If you have to grab a part timer and use him as a jumper then that is what you do.
But then the center would show an extra driver on the road for that day and the CMs head would be on the chopping block.

tieguy

Banned

If you have one standing around the building at 1 pm. Otherwise finding one that is willing to meet you on the road would take too long and cost you more service failures.

Perhaps we could have an interest list up in case a driver gets arrested on route?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you have one standing around the building at 1 pm. Otherwise finding one that is willing to meet you on the road would take too long and cost you more service failures.

Perhaps we could have an interest list up in case a driver gets arrested on route?

Article 3 section 7 reads, in part...
"....However, in the case of Acts of God supervisors shall comply with the procedures in subsections (b) and (c) and may only perform
bargaining unit work until bargaining unit employees are available. The Employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a sufficient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees. "

The center manager was entitled under the contract to go out there and make service on the packages. He should have had someone in the office trying to call a part-timer to make them aware of the availability of work and giving them the opportunity to drive out the the area and meet the center manager, but in the meanwhile the center manager had the right to do the work until a bargaining unit employee was available and in this case there might not have been one available at all who could have gotten the packages off in a timely manner.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

How about the old business proverb "leading by example"? I know what your saying but isnt it hard to expect your people to respect you when mgt doing something not by the book, then get on the employes for not doing the same thing. Management knows the methods, they are in place for ANYONE delivering packages imo.

Braveheart

Cover drivers are hurting for work around here. You call and they will meet you on area in 30 mins or less.