Christianity

El Correcto

god is dead
I warned you at the start of this conversation that free will of the gaps and god of the gaps are very similar and I knew exactly what stance you were gonna “choose” to take on this because I have enough information about your rationality to accurately predict it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I explained it pretty clearly.
You have provided no proof of human agency over themselves, you just rely on the feeling of free will to prove it is valid, you feel like this is a choice so it must be, that isn’t a good argument. Just like you feeling god isn’t a good argument for the existence of a deity and afterlife actually existing.
I choose to disagree with your point of view.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I warned you at the start of this conversation that free will of the gaps and god of the gaps are very similar and I knew exactly what stance you were gonna “choose” to take on this because I have enough information about your rationality to accurately predict it.
Missed the warning.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Which gap theory you talking about?

BrownFlush

Free will means you accept the call & walk in it. Free will also means you reject the call & take your own path.
God knows those who will accept the call & walk with him. The question is, are we responsible for determining our path. Or did he wire us for accepting or rejecting.
When you see people with exactly the same upbringing, same information & 1 accepts and the other rejects you wonder what is the determining factor.
How does God call one today?

No doubt, God knows who will be saved and who will not. He knows this because he knows your life from beginning to end and knows the choices you will make which will determine your eternal destination.

Yes, we are left responsible to choose which path we walk on. If God wired us to walk on a certain path and no other, then free will would be null and void.

The factor is we are not robots. No two people are exactly alike. No matter what is external, individual ability, time , and opportunity will determine their decision.

FromOffTheStreets

So you had a choice and agency over your upbringing as a child?
Yes & no. You can choose to honor your parents or rebel. You can choose to run with the bad kids or the good. When you get out from under their upbringing you can choose to work or get on government assistance.
You don't choose your parents but you do choose your path. Just looking at my childhood friends with all similar backgrounds, each kid went a different way. Some to atheism, some agnostic, some light Christian, some hard-core.
The upbringing doesn't produce one set standard.

El Correcto

god is dead
How does God call one today?

No doubt, God knows who will be saved and who will not. He knows this because he knows your life from beginning to end and knows the choices you will make which will determine your eternal destination.
Which means they aren’t really choices at all but predetermined outcomes. Can’t have an all knowing god if you’re gonna have any real impact on your life.

Which gap theory you talking about?
God, free will and “random” are all just our ignorance about something repackaged into explanations.

Just because the best science can arrive at is the probability of something happening doesn’t mean that thing has a probability of happening. It’s just as far as we are capable of measuring it happening and understanding what is happening.

Free will as integrity is showing right now and argued for really just comes down to a feeling of choice every human being has, just like his “feeling” of god existing. He is on the side of the argument that is slowly being chipped away at by a better understanding of human psychology and neurology. Free will only gets to exist in places where there isn’t evidence that it doesn’t exist, just like god.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Which means they aren’t really choices at all but predetermined outcomes. Can’t have an all knowing god if you’re gonna have any real impact on your life.

God, free will and “random” are all just our ignorance about something repackaged into explanations.

Just because the best science can arrive at is the probability of something happening doesn’t mean that thing has a probability of happening. It’s just as far as we are capable of measuring it happening and understanding what is happening.

Free will as integrity is showing right now and argued for really just comes down to a feeling of choice every human being has, just like his “feeling” of god existing. He is on the side of the argument that is slowly being chipped away at by a better understanding of human psychology and neurology. Free will only gets to exist in places where there isn’t evidence that it doesn’t exist, just like god.
Yes you can.
This makes no sense to me. Sorry
Wut?
Experience not feeling, my friend.

El Correcto

god is dead
Yes & no. You can choose to honor your parents or rebel. You can choose to run with the bad kids or the good. When you get out from under their upbringing you can choose to work or get on government assistance.
You don't choose your parents but you do choose your path. Just looking at my childhood friends with all similar backgrounds, each kid went a different way. Some to atheism, some agnostic, some light Christian, some hard-core.
The upbringing doesn't produce one set standard.
So autistic children choose to rebel when they have a sensory overload and act an ass causing their parents to be stressed?

FromOffTheStreets

An all knowing god and free will are paradoxical. I haven’t heard a good argument for how god will know what you choose ahead of time and there is also free will.
God is outside of the universe, outside of time. I always thought of it like the universe is a globe setting on his desk, but it is a globe with 10 dimensions. It's more complex than we can deal with mentally.
Another analogy is like humans compared to ants. God looks down at the ants (us) who have no concept of the bigger reality. They are stuck for a brief moment in someone's backyard working away & then they die. We're trapped listening to other ants try to fill us with ant knowledge, try to sell us ant merchandise and convince us that we used to be fish. Oh and it all happened accidentally so there's no need to push on for a purpose.

BrownFlush

You miss.
God doesn't determine your choices. You do.
He is all knowing. Which includes knowing what your choices will be.

Hilarious.
I've had some good weed in my time, but nothing like you're inhaling.

Last edited: