Christmas Layoffs????????

brownboxman

The word at our center in Oregon is that we will be running 65 routes this Peak. We have 74 drivers on the payroll. Sounds like people sitting at home while the rest of us work 10-12 hours, whats the word for the rest of you?

helenofcalifornia

Our management team says that we will run fewer routes than last year, and those drivers not running a route will be "runners." Our center will have seven less drivers. I don't know if this plan was in the works a result of when the economy really tanked, or already existed when the economy was kinda sorta tanking. (Read: early this summer, late spring, early spring, etc. The economy has been tanking for awhile now)

NedFlanders

what salary do the drivers that get laid off to inside jobs like preload and local sort make?

do they get the same pay as is they were driving? or get moved down to the regular pay that the part timers get?

evilleace

I think I think the pay rate for drivers working inside is different at different locations not sure but I think they stay at driving pay for awhile and then go down to hub rate I think the time frame might be 1 week but again not sure. But I am sure someone does.

rocket man

This is it. a full time driver gets layed off. He or she gets 2 weeks full pay.But theres a catch, you have 2. 4 hour shifts 4 hours in am 4 hrs in pm.Then after the 2 weeks you go to your last pt pay.wich would havebeen cover driving for most. Now if they need you and you drive in that 2 week period . Then go back to hub you start your 2 weeks full pay all over. pt cover who get layed off goes back to last pay rate befor cover only 4 hrs a day. thats it.

metrophillyslub

I think I think the pay rate for drivers working inside is different at different locations not sure but I think they stay at driving pay for awhile and then go down to hub rate I think the time frame might be 1 week but again not sure. But I am sure someone does.
think drivers would make the top rate of thetop paid part - timer. not 100% sure on that though.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you have drivers laid off no helpers will be used and if they are please tell your stewards.

Here in 705 if any employee is laid off they will stay at their current rate of pay for the duration of the lay off.

hungrydude5

FORTUNATLY we just had a shopping center consisting of over 90 stores that just opened, and they added 7 routes now, 4 more in the shortcoming week. It's insane. Our center is so small we were sure we would ALL be laid off, but it's added so much money to our center. For now at least. When this country hits rock bottom no one's going to be shopping there ;-). When I work saturdays I might have 5 packages for the shopping center but I swear, it takes like 20 minutes to get them off because you can only park in the rear and have to walk all over God's green earth at the shopping center. They're hiring out the butt and are in need of drivers actually. We are adding at least 20 more routes, that includes the at least 10 just for the outlets. Not looking too too bad.....

hungrydude5

plus a daily feeder ;-) They're splitting it up in 10 sections, then one runner. Most of the bulk "stops" will be in the pup feeder, which will have 3 helpers working out of it. It's a mess already.

gandydancer

NorCal: Art 3, Sec 4: "... Full-time employees laid off in excess of five consecutive workdays may...elect to displace one or two part-time employees for the duration... Rates of pay will be based on Company seniority and the classification of the work the driver performs."