Christmas Time Preload - Whats it Like?

iDontWorkAtUps

Ive never been at UPS during the peak of Christmas time. Any older UPSers who have been through the system have any tips about preloading feel free to answer.

iDontWorkAtUps

Ive never been at UPS during the peak of Christmas time. Any older UPSers who have been through the system have any tips about preloading feel free to answer.

Also, how do I get the chance to be a helper with a driver along with preloading? Do they ask me or do I have to apply?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
For $10/hr, I'd rather be doing something else. That's for sure.

But peak specifically, it's just more hours and more packages with slightly different sorts, car lineups, and more vehicles.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Tips for preload: load the packages in the right car, or whatever your function and mind your business. Not really much different than outside of peak. :D

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you start at midnight instead of four... are trucks leaving earlier or is it that many more packages going into the trucks?
More packages in trucks, far more trucks. The start times for drivers generally remain unchanged, though am time can be pushed up a little if loads are late. Also, on Monday AM last peak, our preload was ending at 6:30-7am some days. Shockingly early, with all of the air already in and being quite overstaffed.

J

jibbs

Christmas Time Preload - Whats it Like?

it's pretty much hell, just instead of fire and brimstone you've got conveyors and cardboard, and part-time supe's replace the whip-wielding demons. also, we make way more money than we usually do.

enjoy your time.