Clocking out B4 washing hands...

squirlygirly

...and arms of the very dirt you've accumulated working your 5 hour shift? Have a new personnel manager who is telling me "If you want wash your hands, you have to clock out first! And if you don't like the gritty, Lava-type soap at the sink, all you have to do is clock out, then go upstairs (2 flights) and use the bathroom upstairs!"

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions will be much appreciated!

THANX!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...and arms of the very dirt you've accumulated working your 5 hour shift? Have a new personnel manager who is telling me "If you want wash your hands, you have to clock out first! And if you don't like the gritty, Lava-type soap at the sink, all you have to do is clock out, then go upstairs (2 flights) and use the bathroom upstairs!" Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions will be much appreciated!
THANX!!!

Punch out and then wash your hands. 5 minutes is not worth the hassle.

evilleace

Don't clock out I always wash up before I leave there is no way that they can fire you or even reprimand you for that just UPS trying to save $.25 by making you clock out.

Last edited:

drewed

Shankman
(playing devils advocate) where does it say in the contract that UPS needs to allow you to wash your self after work? do you shower after work? should UPS pay for that also? personal hygiene is just that PERSONAL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't clock out I always wash up before I leave there is no way that they can fire you or even reprimand you for that just UPS trying to save $.25 by making you clock out. Just another pencil pushers crap.

I am a 19 yr driver and I can recall when it wasn't an issue for us to go upstairs, change and clean up, all on the clock. Times have changed and, yes, it has become a big deal. Our preload all punch out and then either just leave or go and clean up. I assume it is the same with the metro. We (drivers) are instructed to perform our end of day routine and then punch out before changing or cleaning up.

You have to decide if the extra quarter is worth the hassle.

CRASH501

i am a 19 yr driver and i can recall when it wasn't an issue for us to go upstairs, change and clean up, all on the clock. Times have changed and, yes, it has become a big deal. Our preload all punch out and then either just leave or go and clean up. I assume it is the same with the metro. We (drivers) are instructed to perform our end of day routine and then punch out before changing or cleaning up.

You have to decide if the extra quarter is worth the hassle.
I do wash very thorough after every shift on the clock .
. I simply have to go # 1 or # 2 on occasion and it's a 1 hour drive home, and will not touch my (insert choice word here ) with dirty hands.
i drank those 10 bottles of water , 2 redbulls , 3 coffee's and or 3 gatorades on the clock i will relieve myself on the clock.
But it is required that you are in uniform at the start of your shift and the end of your shift , dont push it by coming downstairs from the locker room in your civilian clothes . It's just not worth the headache

scoobypanda

I came to work clean, I'm going home clean. Don't like it? Take it to arbitration. Yes, it's worth the hassle, you give them an inch and they take 1,694 miles.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
...and arms of the very dirt you've accumulated working your 5 hour shift? Have a new personnel manager who is telling me "If you want wash your hands, you have to clock out first! And if you don't like the gritty, Lava-type soap at the sink, all you have to do is clock out, then go upstairs (2 flights) and use the bathroom upstairs!"

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions will be much appreciated!

THANX!!!

I'm not quite following you here.
You are not performing actvities/tasks to process packages. It seems quite logical to clock out after your work is done before doing anything personal including washing hands, clothes or hair.
I agree with other, regardless of what you think is right, it's not worth the risk.

drewed

Shankman
I would also say a driver an a sorter would be different in this situation. A sorter generally has no reason to take off their gloves, and generally go home after their 5 hr shift. A driver on the other hand could take off a pair of gloves (if they wear any at all) numerous times during their 9-13 hr shift and as another put it so eloquently you dont want to touch yourself when relieving yourself with package gunk on yourself.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Don't clock out I always wash up before I leave there is no way that they can fire you or even reprimand you for that just UPS trying to save $.25 by making you clock out.
actually, they can fire you for what you just posted. its called insuborination. and they will make it stick.

best is to file if you think you are being told to do something you dont think ought to be. that way the hearing about the situation is just that, about the situation, and not you personally.

when you refuse to do what you are told, then the subject becomes you and not the issue at hand. never a winable situation at a hearing.

so while that all sounds good, check the testosterone, work as instructed, or punch as instructed, and if it is worth it, file.

doing it like evil posted will get you fired.

d ps, ups will fire you over much less than 25 cents. believe me. so dont make it easy for them

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I wash up at my last pickup stop, on the clock, no one knows. Well, until now.

big difference between a job that has interaction with the public. ups expects you to be at your best, apearance wise. so washing up several times a day while on the clock could be expected if needed.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you get harassed in the building with this nonsense, stop at a fast food restaurant on your way back to the building.

It takes 2 minutes tops to piss and wash your hands (or vice versa). If management is that much of a hardass, do it where he can't see you.

rod

Retired 22 years
(playing devils advocate) where does it say in the contract that UPS needs to allow you to wash your self after work? do you shower after work? should UPS pay for that also? personal hygiene is just that PERSONAL

Well Hell must of froze over--- I actually agree with you on this point:happy2: For those of you that think this is a big deal - do like others are saying and wash up before you return to building.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
big difference between a job that has interaction with the public. ups expects you to be at your best, apearance wise. so washing up several times a day while on the clock could be expected if needed.

d

This makes sense and the driver who is in front of the public should take steps to maintain a professional appearence while they are in the public (not after returning to building).
I was under the impression that the original post was for an inside employee.

Maybe this is a generational difference or maybe a difference in morals but this seems very clearcut.
It seems very clear to me that I should not be on the clock cleaning up myself anymore than washing my car in the UPS carwash while I'm on the clock.

evilleace

Well in my case I have never been told not to wash up after my shift so it is not insubordination and if it became a big hassle I probably would just clock out. The group makes good points so I retract my earler statement and just tell you to clock out. Also if I think about it if I saw someone go wash up after being told not to I would see it as a big sign of disrespect.

drewed

Shankman
I think ANOTHER part of the problem is, if everyone goes to wash their hands after shift, theres numerous people in thhe bathroom waiting for a sink to use, people sit down waiting start chit chatting then they get their turn and the people that just washed their hands dont want to feel lonely so they sit down and chit chat with the people now washing their hands. So lets say between everyone it takes 20 minutes of wasted time X how ever many people are in there, so you could be fired for stealing time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Dan,
I wish they would apply the same logic to our pkg cars.

Can't argue with that.
We did not need to wash every package car everyday like we did in the 70's and before but I have seen some pretty bad looking package cars out there...don't know if it was because of drought restrictions. Regardless, the dirty package cars are hurting our UPS Brand.