Coming in over-allowed

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I use to be a silent supporter of Superdave. I felt that he was being unfairly treated by some posters on BC. However, the longer I am here, and the more posts I read from this poster, the more I understand why he gets the treatment he receives.

Updick----A'hole

It is really that simple

Sums it up pretty well.
It only took me about a day and a half, five years ago to come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
whats a virtual OJS?

Here is a short version of a virtual OJS looks like.

work 001.jpg
work2 001.jpg
work 001.jpg
work2 001.jpg

WorknLateHuh

Oh well like I tell my sup “ I'm like a wheel barrel the heavier it is the slower it goes”. If they wanted to be fair about the planed day they would weight the PKG cars on the way out.

And when It's a really bad load and my On-road asks me the next morning, What Happened???(With that condescending "you're the worst driver in the building" look). I always say the same thing, "It gets loaded like **., then it gets delivered like **."

Necropostophiliac

One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth:
at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I use to be a silent supporter of Superdave. I felt that he was being unfairly treated by some posters on BC. However, the longer I am here, and the more posts I read from this poster, the more I understand why he gets the treatment he receives.

Yes, I am serious. I didn't have the time, or even thought that I needed to go into more detail then I did. So, to be clear and to explain myself to Superdave I will try to be more clear.

Driver 1 goes out with a planned 150 stops and 250 pieces are trip 12A. He runs his airs and maybe a few bulk grounds then starts the trip. He goes back to some of the Air stops with the grounds. He breaks off at certain times to be at pickups at the commit times. Goes back to his deliveries and then finishes up at 123 Bubble World for the last pickup at 16:45 and returns to the building at 17:30. His dispatch shows 155 stops (do to delivering airs separate from grounds) and 100 miles do to going down streets to deliver grounds when he was on the street earlier delivering airs. Extra miles for breaking off to hit a few pickups in the "window". Planned day comes to a 8.70 .20 clicks under.

Driver 2 goes out with a planned 150 stops and 250 pieces are trip 12A. He runs his airs and all grounds with the airs. He even gets some streets done with the airs so he doesn't have to go back to that street later in the day. He closes out pickups in the window but does not breaks off, but rather waits till he is in that section to make the pickup. He then finishes up at 123 Bubble World for the last pickup at 16:45 and returns to the building at 17:30. His dispatch shows 145 stops (do to delivering airs and grounds together) and 95 miles do to not having to go back to stops he delivered airs to. Does not need to go down some streets a second time to deliver grounds to other stops as they were delivered when he passed them doing airs. Saves more miles by cheating the pickup window by closing them out and picking them up later when he is in that area. Planned day comes to a 8.30 .20 clicks over.

Same number of packages, same number of delivery points. Left and return to building the same. But the more efficient way will make you look worse then the less efficient way.

Of course this is not true in every situation. Is that clear enough Superdave?

10 fewer stops and 5 fewer miles means that he ran the route in a more efficient manner than Driver 1---if it weren't for the 1645 pickup Driver 2 would have most certainly been underallowed. If Driver 2 is able to make the pickups without having to break off and the shippers are OK with his pickup times then he needs to get with the PDS/OMS and get those pickup times changed. You should always try to deliver grounds with airs---to do otherwise, especially if there is time to do so, would be padding stops. If there is only time to deliver air then that is your priority and any stops that you have to go back to would be duplicate stops.

I do agree that having more stops and miles adds to your dispatch and may change an overallowed day to an underallowed one; however, if you have to pad stops and miles in order to be underallowed, are you really working in the most efficient manner?

There is a direct relationship between efficiency and being over/underallowed. In the example above Driver 2 is clearly the more efficient of the two.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
10 fewer stops and 5 fewer miles means that he ran the route in a more efficient manner than Driver 1---if it weren't for the 1645 pickup Driver 2 would have most certainly been underallowed. If Driver 2 is able to make the pickups without having to break off and the shippers are OK with his pickup times then he needs to get with the PDS/OMS and get those pickup times changed. You should always try to deliver grounds with airs---to do otherwise, especially if there is time to do so, would be padding stops. If there is only time to deliver air then that is your priority and any stops that you have to go back to would be duplicate stops.

I do agree that having more stops and miles adds to your dispatch and may change an overallowed day to an underallowed one; however, if you have to pad stops and miles in order to be underallowed, are you really working in the most efficient manner?

There is a direct relationship between efficiency and being over/underallowed. In the example above Driver 2 is clearly the more efficient of the two.

​Yawn

cino321

Who cares about over allowed!!!!!!

I get stuck in traffic for a half hour doing my NDA and you guys are telling me to deliver ground with air! I'm 50 clicks over before I start the route. I'm 300 over everyday. My entire center is!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Inefficient----overallowed.

Efficient---scratch or underallowed.

It is really that simple.
Not really always that simple.
My last route I averaged around an hour over everyday. Had many rides and talks with management over my preformance. On car had no issues with my methods and even suggested I get more signatures to decrease my overallowed.
Bid into my current satellite route and now average 1.25 hours bonus per day. Trust me, I'm not moving any faster and my methods are pretty much the same.
Allowances from one route to the next are just a throw of the dart from someone sitting in a cubicle, usually based on one day of a time study.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The problem is not that the allowances arent 100% accurate. No measurement that complex will ever be 100% accurate.

The problem....is when the allowance is clearly and demonstrably wrong by a significant amount, yet the company absolutely refuses to correct that flaw as a matter of policy.

If the roof of the building allowed large volumes of water to flow in every time there was a rainstorm, reasonable people would agree that there was a leak, and the company would make arrangements for repairs to be made to that roof in order to solve the problem. In the case of a flawed timestudy, however...the management people involved will walk around indoors with umbrellas and spend huge amounts of time and energy pushing mops and moving buckets around to catch the water, while at the same time trying to convince the driver that its actually sunny outside.

kingOFchester

And that was my point to which you added your sarcastic "Simple" comment. So now you acknowledge that is really isn't as simple as you want to make it.

The scenario I describe above is a common phenomenon in my center. The senior bid drivers that have been around the block are not ripping and running to show good numbers. They are not setting up their truck to be more efficient. They aren't pushing the 10:30 commit time to get as much work done during airs. They are running the route the way they have for years and what works for them. They do not give time in the AM to the company. They have been around long enough to know that the faster you are the more work you will get and what you do will never be good enough.

The cover drivers, trying to make a name for themselves are ripping and running. They are fingering their loads all morning long. They push the 10:30 commit time to the very last minute to get as much air and ground off as humanly possible. A lot of the time they will show as being over allowed when the bid driver usually comes in at scratch or there abouts.

As far as changing the pickup times, that would then affect the bid driver who has the times set up for when he is in the area.

By admitting that there may be some issues with dispatch and plans then your bubble of goodness may not be so perfect after all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm sorry, Bubbles, were the words too big for you to understand?

No but u assume each route has a fair time study. U just said if you have to pad stops and add miles to be under your not efficient. Some routes u have to work thru break to be under. Does that mean if your over you aren't efficient?

Oh and it's only padding stops if you deliver both stops at the same time but sheet it as two.