Coming in over-allowed

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Always offer for them to ride with you to show you how to do it better. If any of it involves running or cutting corners, it's a no go. You're protected under the contract. UPS is masterful at making their own worst enemies. I've seen this place turn company men into grievance monsters because they have no choice but to be dickish with their numbers. Sucks really. In my experience over here though, if you work hard and do your best, they'll find other people they dislike to pick on.

Overpaid Union Thug

SPORH. We can be disciplined on SPORH. That's what they seek to improve when they ride with you. Don't worry about pieces,miles, over/under. Work on your Stops Per On Road Hour. It is the one number actually measurable, that can be improved by how well you do the methods (methods that are meant to get you through your deliveries more quickly (getting the consignee to sign as soon as possible, like after you have scanned just the first package; not scanning bulk stops, or any packages in the car; drawing attention at the delivery stop, like sounding the horn and calling out "UPS!" to get someone's attention so you can get them to sign; etc.) Becoming proficient in these methods can help your SPORH. The purpose of a 3-day OJS is to observe your use of the methods and re-train where necessary. Over the 3-days if there is an increase in your SPORH due to methods retraining, it is considered a success. Thereafter, if your SPORH begins to notably drop (talking several days, not one or two), based on the OJS it will be assumed you are not complying wth UPS' policies and procedures, and discipline can be given. I have heard of a driver taking a. 5-day suspension to the national panel...and losing.

SPORH is calculated by dividing your number of stops (pickup + delivery) by the CENTER'S planned day; in my center it is a 9.13; with an 8:30 start that's 6:37 or 6:38pm punch out). Being grossly over-allowed is just a symptom pointing to a poor SPORH, which suggests the methods are not being followed. Methods don't involved not knocking on doors, or exceeding the speed limit, or even calling ahead to pickups to see if they have anything (that last one could actually hurt you as it costs you the distance you would have travelled, helping your dispatch time).

Any attempt by management to enforce SPORH should be swiftly filed on under Article 6.