Company no longer honoring 8 hr requests or 9.5 grievances

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The person making the senseless SPC call isn't in Seattle, they're in Atlanta, and they're doing it to the entire country. We hate it as much as you (drivers) do. What makes it worse is that they won't explain their reasoning. If there's logic behind it then it's a big secret. Maybe a new service coming that will result in fewer packages delivered by "brown" drivers? Maybe they're intentionally making conditions lousy so that they'll have something to give away in upcoming contract negotiations? Maybe they're just out of ideas and don't know what else to do - that's my biggest fear.

They are definately up to something. Who knows what but I am certain we all will find out sooner or later.

JonFrum

They are doing the stops per car thing here also. I will not ever mis an 8hr day though. If I am granted the 8hr request properly I follow this procedure.

1) As soon as I think I might be too heavy to make it in under 8hrs, I send an ODS message to the center.

2) I resend the original message an hour or so later, including how many stops I think I need help with to make it in under 8hrs

3) At 3pm, (when I start my pickups), I send another message stating how many stops I have left to cover, and that I will be bringing them back to the building after I complete 8hrs.

It has not failed me yet. Do be aware though that if you are instructed to deliver all of it, you should follow instructions and grieve after. That being said, we had a driver bring back work after being instructed not to on his 8hr day. They terminated him but he did return to work. No back pay, which is BS but he did come back.
Just remember, the language says, "subject to the understanding that such package car driver will complete his/her assignment."

And that the penalty pay isn't triggered until you work over 8.5 hours.

And, "No penalty shall be due if the employee exceeds the eight and one-half (8.5) hour threshold as a result of events beyond the Employer’s control."

It's pretty obvious what the evildoers in Atlanta are up to if you really think about it. All of this change comes shortly on the heals of them cutting the fat out of management, buying out the old timers who are just hanging on by showing up everyday on time and doing nothing. They are trying to get rid of the 20+ year package car drivers and get a younger crew in who can handle a workload like this (not to mention make half the money). Unfortunately, you can't buy union folk out as there is a contract/nma involved -- so what's the next best solution? Make working conditions absolutely deplorable, harass and intimidate everyone to the point they want to retire or quit. I've had a few sups ride with me in the last 6 months and they all say "you should just quit if you can't do this job at the pace we instruct you to keep". That's about the time when I burst out laughing...

This is an evil company and I've known that for a lot longer than the gimmicks pulled in 2010. I'm so glad that I'm near the end, I can't imagine how some of these drivers who have 15,20,25+ years left plan on staying sane working for a bunch of greedy, overpaid, under-worked, over-educated, morally bankrupt white collar criminals down in Atlanta. Everyone gets theirs someday and all the blood money in the world can't buy you a thing when karma comes knocking on your door.

CustomerConcern

This is an evil company and I've known that for a lot longer than the gimmicks pulled in 2010. I'm so glad that I'm near the end, I can't imagine how some of these drivers who have 15,20,25+ years left plan on staying sane working for a bunch of greedy, overpaid, under-worked, over-educated, morally bankrupt white collar criminals down in Atlanta. Everyone gets theirs someday and all the blood money in the world can't buy you a thing when karma comes knocking on your door.

Yes, but tell us how you really feel, come on, don't hold back. It's sad and kinda funny but everyone here within 5 years of retirement is saying the same dang thing.

JustTired

free at last.......
It's pretty obvious what the evildoers in Atlanta are up to if you really think about it. All of this change comes shortly on the heals of them cutting the fat out of management, buying out the old timers who are just hanging on by showing up everyday on time and doing nothing. They are trying to get rid of the 20+ year package car drivers and get a younger crew in who can handle a workload like this (not to mention make half the money). Unfortunately, you can't buy union folk out as there is a contract/nma involved -- so what's the next best solution? Make working conditions absolutely deplorable, harass and intimidate everyone to the point they want to retire or quit. I've had a few sups ride with me in the last 6 months and they all say "you should just quit if you can't do this job at the pace we instruct you to keep". That's about the time when I burst out laughing...

While a little "over the top"......I tend to agree with the scenario above.

Come contract time, I'm afraid there might be a rude awakening. They make be looking forward to a strike in order to prove their PAS/EDD (and the like) will work with new hires off the street. Good Luck with that!

If it should work.....maybe they'll sell out to Walmart and pay all of their employees with Walmart dollars. Remember the coal mines of the past and the song "15 tons and what do you get..............I owe my soul to the company store"

There has to be a method to the madness......because , in my heart of hearts, nobody could be stupid enough to run a company the way this one is being run.

Time will tell.........

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The person making the senseless SPC call isn't in Seattle, they're in Atlanta, and they're doing it to the entire country. We hate it as much as you (drivers) do. What makes it worse is that they won't explain their reasoning. If there's logic behind it then it's a big secret. Maybe a new service coming that will result in fewer packages delivered by "brown" drivers? Maybe they're intentionally making conditions lousy so that they'll have something to give away in upcoming contract negotiations? Maybe they're just out of ideas and don't know what else to do - that's my biggest fear.

+10 on that post.

bigbrownhen

I have had a feeling for some time now that the next contract will bring all of this to a head. I agree with Upstate that it will not be about wages next go around, but the language for discipline with performance and bennifits. I personally hope the language will state that UPS can not discipline anyone for performance due to the fact they play with the numbers on a daily basis and can make anyone look like a lazy slug. I am certain the drivers will be described like a bunch of winey, spoiled, entitled jerks who just want more money. "You better like your job the way it is, there will be large crowds of folks ready to take your place otherwise" will be the motto for corporate Im sure.

It would be a nice change for people on both sides of the fence to appreciate the other and the job they do. Quit poking sticks at each other through the fence, find a mutual agreement and treat each other with respect. If only.....

Hucklebuckle

I became a friend/T driver in 2005. I haven't had many problems with mgt until the past year. Around fall of '09 the TN district has been pure hell to work for...everything that used to be good enough all of a sudden isn't and the intimidation shot throught the roof! Why can't they just leave me alone...... (that's what i ask myself everyday but sadly i know the answer)

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Just remember, the language says, "subject to the understanding that such package car driver will complete his/her assignment."

And that the penalty pay isn't triggered until you work over 8.5 hours.

And, "No penalty shall be due if the employee exceeds the eight and one-half (8.5) hour threshold as a result of events beyond the Employer’s control."

Not here, we have entirely different language. No 8.5hr crap, no understanding of completing his assignment, and nothing about events out of there control. But no penalty pay either,

UPSGUY72

Got in under 8 today full 1hr lunch and two 10 min breaks. 102 stops 20 pickups and 71 miles. The worst thing I had to use a map since I heaven't done the route in a while.

BoogaBooga

We are being worked harder and longer to make more $ for management shareholders. Cost cutting has been a company wide hot button issue for years. Some cut routes, some cut feeder runs, some pushed safety, others thinned the pt. time ranks, and Regions have been consolidated. But the goal was to make more profit, which is why we have jobs. Now, some IE genius figured that 12 to 14 cents per package could be saved by raising the minimum number of stops per car nationwide. The results have been an anemic 1/2 cent per package saving. The reason that the company has not saved more money is that they will not allow your center management team to figure how to best do this , within the labor agreement that the company and the union agreed to. To make this work, the company is knowingly violating the contract. Get your butts to your Teamster Local Monthly Meeting, and start complaining. We pay the Teamsters to represent us, so first read your contract book (so you know what you are talking about) and bring your valid complaints to the BA.

JustTired

free at last.......
Now, some IE genius figured that 12 to 14 cents per package could be saved by raising the minimum number of stops per car nationwide. The results have been an anemic 1/2 cent per package saving.

I don't know the validity of the above. But , it sounds plausible.

I've always said that the projections in time and cost savings made by IE are grossly overstated and generally don't have a basis in the real world.

That 1/2 cent savings in the above scenario would probably not even be that if all aspects were taken into consideration. Is it worth saving 1/2 cent per pkg at the risk of the health (mental and physical) and safety of the so-called "valued employee"?

Work on getting an IE department that can more accurately evaluate the metrics and a lot of this crap would go away. The IE department needs to "tell it like it is" instead of telling them what they want to hear. Until that happens.......it's grief for everyone!

brownrod

less than 8 hours today. Haven't worked over 9 hours more than 5 times in the last couple months. And I live not very far away from the original poster.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i started a thread similiar to this,, in our center any overallowed driver is getting a ONE DAY RIDE and those numbers are getting locked in ,, the warning letters and threats of suspension are rampant.......where are we headed???

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
i started a thread similiar to this,, in our center any overallowed driver is getting a ONE DAY RIDE and those numbers are getting locked in ,, the warning letters and threats of suspension are rampant.......where are we headed???

To hell if they don't change their ways........................ oh, that's right! we are already there. :sad-little:

Since our "GPS" time study,I lost 1.4 hours on my route,now I am constantly 1.5 over.They keep saying they are going to ride with me but never do...they don't want to know the truth.You would think they would believe a 32 year,24 year driver,but you all know we just want to steal money from the company.