Confused about CDL application question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by archangelic peon, Dec 7, 2011.

1. archangelic peon

archangelic peon New Member

From multiple posts here, it seems that you do NOT need a Commercial Drivers License to drive package delivery.
    However, on package delivery driver application form it asks:

Do you have a valid commercial driver's license for the state you reside in? Yes No

Do they want all new PDD's to have class A's and B's or is there an actual class "C" license that is commercial?
    I have my regular California Class C license which I have been using to drive 14500lb GVW trucks for over 2 years.

Lasted edited by : Mar 18, 2012
  2. brownrod

brownrod Active Member

It's a simple yes or no question. Obviously, if you answer no you are still able to be a pdd.

3. JonFrum

JonFrum Member

Only Feeder (Tractor-Trailer) Drivers need a CDL.

4. Random_Facts

Random_Facts Member

To be clear, there is a license C that's commercial. Yet, at UPS, it's only needed for the feeders. (hence your 'bulk stop cars' can't be maxed out.)

5. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

If the form asks and you have what it is asking for, then I would hope you would answer the appropriate way. Which way do you think is appropriate? If you are having issues filling out the application, maybe you should think about Walmart.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

When I first started all that was needed was a Class C license. We now need a Class C non-CDL. This is in New York.

7. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Wow. So early and you are already wrong. It is going to be a Golden day!!
    Class D is all you need. Regular old license will do.

8. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

I guess your from calif? so you dont have a cdl? I think you should put (yes) its a big company they wont figure it out. JUST JOKING

9. Leftinbuilding

Leftinbuilding Active Member

No commercial license needed in Calif for package cars.

10. archangelic peon

archangelic peon New Member

Thread necro to say thank you to the helpful and
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...
    to the useless.
    Was not having "issues" filling out anything, just wondering why something evidently irrelevant to the position in question is asked on a particular job application.

cheers

Lasted edited by : Mar 17, 2012
  11. brett636

brett636 Well-Known Member

Here a Chauffeurs license is all thats required to drive for package car, but we used to have a couple of old 24 ft. box trucks which required at minimum a Class B CDL. It wasn't a requirement to have the CDL, it just meant they could stick you a wider range of vehicles if you did. As stated the only department that requires a CDL is feeders.

12. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Hurray for bumping up old threads that have been answered already.

13. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member