Considering not being a package delivery driver

Dillinger4

I've been attending class most of this week and it has just been insane. I have been doing quite well being pretty much at the top of the class but everyday is like a torture session. Knowing the ten point commentary, the eight keys to lifting and lowering, the five keys to preventing slips and falls and the backing rules is not enough. We have to be able to rattle off any part of any one of them exactly word for word and if not we get grilled to the nth degree. Some guys in class get so nervous they turn red and start sweating. Then management starting talking about "stealing his time" if we can't run scratch and getting written up for a tier one after someone whacks the truck because it could of been avoided by parking in a different area while making a delivery.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I've been attending class most of this week and it has just been insane. I have been doing quite well being pretty much at the top of the class but everyday is like a torture session. Knowing the ten point commentary, the eight keys to lifting and lowering, the five keys to preventing slips and falls and the backing rules is not enough. We have to be able to rattle off any part of any one of them exactly word for word and if not we get grilled to the nth degree. Some guys in class get so nervous they turn red and start sweating. Then management starting talking about "stealing his time" if we can't run scratch and getting written up for a tier one after someone whacks the truck because it could of been avoided by parking in a different area while making a delivery.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya! You're not telling us anything we don't already know, we already work here remember? But anyways, good luck with whatever you do!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Obviously I am looking for feedback. Are drivers constantly under a massive amount of stress? If you could do it all over again would you?
I don't care about their 10 point commentary.

It is stupid.

Cant name any of them.

They will not help you drive safer.

Just more MAKE WORK from some cubicle jockey in Atlanta.

scooby0048

Obviously I am looking for feedback. Are drivers constantly under a massive amount of stress? If you could do it all over again would you?

ScreenHunter_35 May. 19 22.17.jpg

That little box with the word "search..." It will give you years of reading for the exact questions you just asked!

scooby0048

Yeah I read through some of the threads. One of them said some dude left his car in the back of the hub with a note on it saying he quit. :ohmy:
I'll tell ya this...the job has gotten more stressful and making 20-30 years is going to be quite tough in this day and age. Good luck to ya though!

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Yes, it's stressful when you start out. Then you finish your 30 days on road and start getting thrown out blind on random routes. There's added stress for you. But then you reach a point where you find a groove, and things just don't stress you as much. It'll take time, if you're willing to put in the time (and have the intestinal fortitude).

Dillinger4

You do realize, don't you, that one of the objectives of driving school is to weed out the ones who won't make it as drivers.
I get that. I just don't see the need to interject added stress when trying to get students to learn something. Perfect example. Your trying to get the students to utilize the ten point commentary while driving. So why put them in a stick truck? On top of that who knows if your going to get grilled while driving?

542thruNthru

Every job is hard and stressful in the beginning. Relax, when you're out there your supervisor won't be there breathing down your neck. Doing a route blind is only stressful if you let it be. Deliver one stop at a time and drive safely.

I tell the new guys all the time. It takes 3 days to know a route. If you need help that's on them not you. The OR could have taken his butt out with you if he cared enough. So don't try and be a super hero and just do your best.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I get that. I just don't see the need to interject added stress when trying to get students to learn something. Perfect example. Your trying to get the students to utilize the ten point commentary while driving. So why put them in a stick truck? On top of that who knows if your going to get grilled while driving?
Hold on they make you drive a manual transmission?

I think that's actually a form of torture in some states.