Contest for my 5000th post

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Rod, Knowing you are a member of the VFW makes this even sweeter.

I close my eyes and see the Vets tallying the results.
I see a puzzled Vet opening the envelope and looking closely at the coin.
I see the bullheaded man, every group has a bull, reaching out and grabbing the coin.
Then I see an entire group wondering what to do next.

"Scratch???"

I want to be part of that moment as AJ.
I will send a coin to bump up the value of Scratch's donation.

The next Poppy sale is in November?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Rod, Knowing you are a member of the VFW makes this even sweeter.

I close my eyes and see the Vets tallying the results.
I see a puzzled Vet opening the envelope and looking closely at the coin.
I see the bullheaded man, every group has a bull, reaching out and grabbing the coin.
Then I see an entire group wondering what to do next.

"Scratch???"

I want to be part of that moment as AJ.
I will send a coin to bump up the value of Scratch's donation.

The next Poppy sale is in November?

I love Poppy time!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I use to have a dozen or so poppys hanging from a wire in my old P-800 that I had collected over the years. Then one night they actually cleaned out the inside of my package car and poof- they were gone. I think that was the one and only time in 30 years that someone other than myself cleaned the inside of the truck.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am in awe that your truck got cleaned. Amazing.

I still remember looking at my first truck. Gross. Asked manager's permission to clean it on a Sunday because it was sooooo disgusting.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I still remember looking at my first truck. Gross. Asked manager's permission to clean it on a Sunday because it was sooooo disgusting.
Sunday? That's what long lunches and customers with pressure washers, are for. Just make sure you cover up the sensitive areas, first........... I mean the ones in the pkg car, sheesh!:wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years

I never asked for permission. About once a month I would do my checkout as my pickups were unloaded then I would go back out on the floor and clean the insides of my truck-----sometimes even hosing off the shelves and floor. Everyonce in awhile a center manager would jump me about how long I had taken to check out the night before but they got over it. I don't recall ever being told to "don't do that" although some center manager's were upset more than others. I wasn't the only driver who did it. I imagine they would fire you for doing it today. If there had been a long stretch of dry weather and the roads were extreamly dusty I swear you would look like you had worked 12 hours in a coal mine by the time you got off and there was enough dust and dirt on the shelves to grow potatos.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I never asked for permission. About once a month I would do my checkout as my pickups were unloaded then I would go back out on the floor and clean the insides of my truck-----sometimes even hosing off the shelves and floor. Everyonce in awhile a center manager would jump me about how long I had taken to check out the night before but they got over it. I don't recall ever being told to "don't do that" although some center manager's were upset more than others. I wasn't the only driver who did it. I imagine they would fire you for doing it today. If there had been a long stretch of dry weather and the roads were extreamly dusty I swear you would look like you had worked 12 hours in a coal mine by the time you got off and there was enough dust and dirt on the shelves to grow potatos.
I hear that. We have 2 rtes that are like that. Not only is there enough dirt on the shelves but on me too. :knockedout:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was considering growing some plants in the back, just to make a point. Now what kind of plants they may be is yet to be determined.......something viney, would be funny

menotyou

bella amicizia

I did that after the truck was mine, but this was when I first went full time.:happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
Just an update. I gave the silver 50 cent coin to my brother-in-law yesterday. He is the Post Commander of the local VFW here. It will go toward the next Poppy Day promotion in the name of Scratch. The VFW Post thanks you. Thanks again one and all.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Just an update. I gave the silver 50 cent coin to my brother-in-law yesterday. He is the Post Commander of the local VFW here. It will go toward the next Poppy Day promotion in the name of Scratch. The VFW Post thanks you. Thanks again one and all.

Today is cold.

The news has been harsh; men playing inapporiate games with children, finding a shirt labeled with "Made in America" is a full day shopping trip for an old war vet carrying only cash...

I remember this thread; perhaps my memory attached to this powerful thread because I had a plan, a mission...

I have a pocket full of coins.
I am armed with a thermos full of hot coffee & supplies.

I am on a Poppy hunt.

rocket man

to celebrate my 5,000th post, if bc will let me, i have decided to have a contest open to everyone who has not placed me on their ignore list. To enter all you have to do is respond to this thread. I will print those names on slips of paper and do the old pull one name out of a hat trick at exactly 9:00 p.m. Cdt on friday the 17th of june. After digging around in my catch all drawer i have decided that the grand prize will be 1 (one) 1963 silver benjamin franklin 50 cent piece in average circulated condition worth - who knows- from what little research i did on it probably $7.00-$15.00. The winner will have to pm me their mailing address. Good luck to those who enter.
theres a ignore list?