Contract negotiations update June 21st

DriverNerd

For those that don't want to watch the whole thing, just watch from 4:20 to 18:20 to see the basics on changes agreed to in the new contract.

Cowboy Mac

For those that don't want to watch the whole thing, just watch from 4:20 to 18:20 to see the basics on changes agreed to in the new contract.
26ACD185-97E9-4FE7-9AA6-676D305D6137.jpeg

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Although I think there are some good improvements in the tentative agreement, I feel like ups has just pushed more money to some of the problems. I like the improvements for sleepers, pt transfers, military members, and the airport badging(which they should have been doing anyway) and the ramp employees pay improvements. IMO, I feel like the other things were what the union could actually get ups to bargain on so that’s what they went with. I could be totally off base with this but that’s JMO. I would be a yes vote on this IF we get the raises/H&W increases that we need, deserve. If I was to rate the above TA package I’d give it 5.5 out of 10…IMO. So for the wage pkg it should be a 9/10. .. you have to lump all of this into one pot and then look at it as a whole. You give me mediocre non economic language then I want a killer pay pkg. you give me mediocre pay then I want out of this world non economic stuff… because there is always next time to bargain. …what are your guys/ladies thoughts on this at this point in the negotiations…we are getting down to the wire on this. Thank you for listening and have a great weekend my Teamster brothers and sisters. CW

Although I think there are some good improvements in the tentative agreement, I feel like ups has just pushed more money to some of the problems. I like the improvements for sleepers, pt transfers, military members, and the airport badging(which they should have been doing anyway) and the ramp employees pay improvements. IMO, I feel like the other things were what the union could actually get ups to bargain on so that’s what they went with. I could be totally off base with this but that’s JMO. I would be a yes vote on this IF we get the raises/H&W increases that we need, deserve. If I was to rate the above TA package I’d give it 5.5 out of 10…IMO. So for the wage pkg it should be a 9/10. .. you have to lump all of this into one pot and then look at it as a whole. You give me mediocre non economic language then I want a killer pay pkg. you give me mediocre pay then I want out of this world non economic stuff… because there is always next time to bargain. …what are your guys/ladies thoughts on this at this point in the negotiations…we are getting down to the wire on this. Thank you for listening and have a great weekend my Teamster brothers and sisters. CW
I appreciate your rationality, honestly. A voice of reason is welcome.

The Union is going to tout small wins as wins nonetheless, and I agree many are minimal or really kinda how we've done business anyway, but now on paper. The 9.5 and 8-hr increases are legitimate, even though some think it's not enough. IDGAF about a/c.

With that, I still think we end up with $7+ over this contract, and I'd bet it'll be ratified. PTers are gonna get taken care if and FTers are gonna be pushing $50/hr plus benefit increases.

My best guess.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

The Union is going to tout small wins as wins nonetheless, and I agree many are minimal or really kinda how we've done business anyway, but now on paper. The 9.5 and 8-hr increases are legitimate, even though some think it's not enough. IDGAF about a/c.

With that, I still think we end up with $7+ over this contract, and I'd bet it'll be ratified. PTers are gonna get taken care if and FTers are gonna be pushing $50/hr plus benefit increases.

My best guess.
In no way I’m trying to sell us short on anything but we all know this company…we all put up with lots of bs to work here and should be paid accordingly. But the contracts under the past administration have been nothing to write home about so that is what the company expects, not that I agree to that at all. It’s going to be very interesting what we get at the final hour and I’m sure there will be vigorous debates on here about it…what I do know is we will get a better contract than what Hoffa ever produced…cautiously optimistic for what SOB gets everyone.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

My best guess.
I’d rather have a couple home runs in the non economic dept (bring the truck back on 8hr days + 1 more 8 hour per month) automatic over 9.5 pay on check and stuff like this than 40 individual issues that are very watered down crap…name badge??? Ups says sups working is a problem but they can’t take care of it??? That’s funny…guess what, they get one warning (pt. Sup and their full time mgr) and then if they do it 2 more times they are gone…period, end of story. This is the type of stuff we need in there….dragon teeth.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don’t think the 9.5 language is good enough.
It just sucks that we have 8 hour days and 9.5 and every contract we have to get more language that makes ups honor this stuff that should already be granted. Such a waste of negotiating time that could be used for other improvements elsewhere in other areas.

Shorts365

Funny how the company has the willingness and resources to pay out double time and quadruple time grieves, but they don’t have the willingness and resources to give us a raise big enough to keep up with inflation.

Also, any contract that doesn’t solve forced 6th punch is a hard no vote from me.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
It just sucks that we have 8 hour days and 9.5 and every contract we have to get more language that makes ups honor this stuff that should already be granted. Such a waste of negotiating time that could be used for other improvements elsewhere in other areas.
Because UPS is a bunch of lying, conniving bastards.

Last edited:

Pullman Brown

On 9.5 issues in my building monetary penalties have EVENTUALLY worked. It takes about 4 grievances. Monetary penalties on other issues, from my limited building perspective, have done very little in fixing problems. Time and a half has not fixed the six punch problem in my building it has gotten worse. In my building nobody wants to gamble on double time for six punch fixing anything.

I’ve noticed that the company and union have different solutions for certain problems and what happens is the monetary penalties increase but in some cases it doesn’t fix anything it becomes a win for the company as they just pay it out.

Because the holy grail of language is no service can be interrupted I don’t foresee any type of real teeth with eight hour days and 9.5’s. If they had contract language that said you could bring back work etc -it would be abused -and our service would become like FED or the Post Office. Then we couldn’t justify what we charge etc..

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
On 9.5 issues in my building monetary penalties have EVENTUALLY worked. It takes about 4 grievances. Monetary penalties on other issues, from my limited building perspective, have done very little in fixing problems. Time and a half has not fixed the six punch problem in my building it has gotten worse. In my building nobody wants to gamble on double time for six punch fixing anything.

I’ve noticed that the company and union have different solutions for certain problems and what happens is the monetary penalties increase but in some cases it doesn’t fix anything it becomes a win for the company as they just pay it out.

Because the holy grail of language is no service can be interrupted I don’t foresee any type of real teeth with eight hour days and 9.5’s. If they had contract language that said you could bring back work etc -it would be abused -and our service would become like FED or the Post Office. Then we couldn’t justify what we charge etc..
That’s it. Well said.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don’t think the 9.5 language is good enough.
Funny how the company has the willingness and resources to pay out double time and quadruple time grieves, but they don’t have the willingness and resources to give us a raise big enough to keep up with inflation.

Also, any contract that doesn’t solve forced 6th punch is a hard no vote from me.
They only have the money when they want to have the money. Only when it’s convenient for them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

True, nothing that is worth wild will be easy, but they go above and beyond to make things impossible sometimes. It’s a constant fight and they want to know why everybody is so disgruntled.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Unfortunately the company could care less about their “service” and I have seen so many times throughout the years here where the company are the ones who sabotage the operations. We don’t need to be crazy better than the competition, just a little bit better. I feel like that is the companies mantra.

Pullman Brown

Unfortunately the company could care less about their “service” and I have seen so many times throughout the years here where the company are the ones who sabotage the operations. We don’t need to be crazy better than the competition, just a little bit better. I feel like that is the companies mantra.

Agreed. As long as we are even a little better we can justify the higher cost. I automatically choose UPS because I know it will get here faster than anybody in my area. In my opinion, you open that door on eights and 9.5’s and bringing work back, you could take away the one thing we have on all the other competitors out there. Quadruple pay will hurt. Will see. I wish it was quadruple pay for six punch!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Agreed. As long as we are even a little better we can justify the higher cost. I automatically choose UPS because I know it will get here faster than anybody in my area. In my opinion, you open that door on eights and 9.5’s and bringing work back, you could take away the one thing we have on all the other competitors out there. Quadruple pay will hurt. Will see. I wish it was quadruple pay for six punch!
Carol has said publicly that 6 punch needs addressed. You can’t do that forever and I know there are some guys in pkg that have done 6 days for years…that is absolutely crazy, especially if you have a family. I did 70 hours in feeder and that lasted a few months and I said fk it…not worth it