Negotiations

BrownFury

Under one of the agreements, UPS would be required to negotiate with the Teamsters at least 45 days before it introduces certain technology such as drones, driverless vehicles and platooning into its network, Teamsters General President Sean O’ Brien said during a webinar on Wednesday updating members on progress in negotiating a new master contract once the current five-year agreement expires July 31.
In addition, UPS will be barred from taking disciplinary action based on technology. The Teamsters have stopped installation of driver-facing cameras and must prove that they be shut off. “UPS cannot use data from any type of technology to discipline drivers,” O’Brien said.
UPS and the Teamsters also agreed that 50% of Surepost packages will be delivered by UPS by the end of the next contract, with the remainder still handled by the U.S. Postal Service. Currently, UPS Teamsters deliver about 42% of those shipments.

Some promising stuff. Hopefully with the increase of surepost deliveries will create more routes. WIsh they could've raised it to atleast 60% to make it a majority. Those should be our deliveries. FedEx stopped using the post office and now they deliver all their smartpost packages. WHy cant we have atleast a majority of it.

badpal

I always figured surepost and smartpost were just a lower priced gimmick, If rates go up on those packages i bet many of those packages end up going straight to the post office anyway. If FDX quit it you know UPS is calculating if the whole surepost thing is worth it or not. Surepost may be gone anyway by the end of the next contract, along with the extra jobs it created.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I always figured surepost and smartpost were just a lower priced gimmick, If rates go up on those packages i bet many of those packages end up going straight to the post office anyway. If FDX quit it you know UPS is calculating if the whole surepost thing is worth it or not. Surepost may be gone anyway by the end of the next contract, along with the extra jobs it created.

The key notation is "end of the next contract"....2028 !

......and they will be only increasing it 8 percent ( from 42% to 50 %)

Better than nothing I guess...

Watch out for that PVD language also...Who will end up delivering these sure post packages, will they even create more RPCD positions?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1686491404927.png

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Some promising stuff. Hopefully with the increase of surepost deliveries will create more routes. WIsh they could've raised it to atleast 60% to make it a majority. Those should be our deliveries. FedEx stopped using the post office and now they deliver all their smartpost packages. WHy cant we have atleast a majority of it.
Why do you assume that is what happened?
That's an astute assessment and part of the delicate balance at play here.

Thebrownblob

Maybe it’s early and I have not drank my coffee and I’m not reading correctly but article 17 full timers already would be able to get two penalty’s after 2 weeks at four hours each equaling eight hours, which is exactly the same as this, correct? Aside from the part-timers, getting more penalty after a year and a half into the new contract how is this a win?

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
We are getting cameras in 2 weeks we were told sooo unless I am reading that incorrectly that whole stopping of install is bs…

Edit nvm inward is the key word..