Contract negotiations update June 21st

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Agreed. As long as we are even a little better we can justify the higher cost. I automatically choose UPS because I know it will get here faster than anybody in my area. In my opinion, you open that door on eights and 9.5’s and bringing work back, you could take away the one thing we have on all the other competitors out there. Quadruple pay will hurt. Will see. I wish it was quadruple pay for six punch!
But they can bust out 3 routes 15 minutes before start time….they have never been very good about leveling out the volume and running extra cars when NEEDED, not when IE allows them to. If I had a buck for every time I heard mgt either say, “we were ok’ed to build extra runs but don’t have enough trucks or drivers.” Or “I put in extra runs which I’m going to get my ass chewed for so please get the stuff delivered and get off the clock…” same ol’ song and dance even after all these years.

Pullman Brown

Carol has said publicly that 6 punch needs addressed. You can’t do that forever and I know there are some guys in pkg that have done 6 days for years…that is absolutely crazy, especially if you have a family. I did 70 hours in feeder and that lasted a few months and I said fk it…not worth it

Yeah. Guys in my building have. It’s insane. In my opinion what they have done with this six punch mess might be the most egregious action I’ve seen in my building from this company! Nobody will ever take them serious again about safety. I don’t know if the Union could have sued them over this but if they could have I wish they would have. Literally we have ten plus drivers on FMLA because they are done with it. Feeder drivers and higher seniority drivers totally clueless about it when I tell them!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah. Guys in my building have. It’s insane. In my opinion what they have done with this six punch mess might be the most egregious action I’ve seen in my building from this company! Nobody will ever take them serious again about safety. I don’t know if the Union could have sued them over this but if they could have I wish they would have. Literally we have ten plus drivers on FMLA because they are done with it. Feeder drivers and higher seniority drivers totally clueless about it when I tell them!
If you want the hours fine. If they are forcing you in and you say no then they are firing people that is totally unacceptable. They tried that here in pkg and feeder and they couldn’t enforce it, although there were a few who took the opportunity and ran it straight to the bank. A couple feeder drivers did it to pad the hell out of their 401k’s and savings before they bailed for retirement.

Pullman Brown

But they can bust out 3 routes 15 minutes before start time….they have never been very good about leveling out the volume and running extra cars when NEEDED, not when IE allows them to. If I had a buck for every time I heard mgt either say, “we were ok’ed to build extra runs but don’t have enough trucks or drivers.” Or “I put in extra runs which I’m going to get my ass chewed for so please get the stuff delivered and get off the clock…” same ol’ song and dance even after all these years.

Nobody in those buildings, which would include the division manager, in my building, have any power at all to do anything of any consequence.

Thanks buddy
PotfASZ2575Q2lmEQR.gif

Trash Panda

It was good to see the sleeper language shift to have the unfilled runs at bid go to other hubs within the local willing to do the work. Not sure if it is a kick in the nuts for the 550mi initial leg bit or not.

Glad someone asked about the decrease in progression time. We are currently getting paid more than year 3 to retain people in feeders.

It would be nice to see the once a month punch for insurance vs current weekly punch. Alot of on call drivers sitting at home right now.

It was good to see the sleeper language shift to have the unfilled runs at bid go to other hubs within the local willing to do the work. Not sure if it is a kick in the nuts for the 550mi initial leg bit or not.

Glad someone asked about the decrease in progression time. We are currently getting paid more than year 3 to retain people in feeders.

It would be nice to see the once a month punch for insurance vs current weekly punch. Alot of on call drivers sitting at home right now.
That definitely be nice for the younger Junior employees

Cowboy Mac

I appreciate your rationality, honestly. A voice of reason is welcome.

The Union is going to tout small wins as wins nonetheless, and I agree many are minimal or really kinda how we've done business anyway, but now on paper. The 9.5 and 8-hr increases are legitimate, even though some think it's not enough. IDGAF about a/c.

With that, I still think we end up with $7+ over this contract, and I'd bet it'll be ratified. PTers are gonna get taken care if and FTers are gonna be pushing $50/hr plus benefit increases.

My best guess.
The way I look at it is that we already got a bunch of things that each make the job 1% better. Add them up and the job is 10% or 15% better (just an example).

One of these things I’m glad to have is bottled water and ice in the contract. Now we have the ability to file and win if they don’t provide these.

We’re going to need the pay to make up for inflation regardless. No pay, no contract.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The way I look at it is that we already got a bunch of things that each make the job 1% better. Add them up and the job is 10% or 15% better (just an example).

One of these things I’m glad to have is bottled water and ice in the contract. Now we have the ability to file and win if they don’t provide these.

We’re going to need the pay to make up for inflation regardless. No pay, no contract.
Gotta look at the whole pie.. but what has been agreed upon isn’t anything earth shattering so like you said, better make it up in pay/Benefits.