couple of basic questions

cx102

I know someone who works in a separate building than me. I do not have to work Thanksgiving night, but this person says their supervisor told them they have to work Thanksgiving night. Is that allowed? I thought working Thanksgiving (or any such holiday) was optional.

Also, our part-time supervisor occasionally threatens to fire people. Sometimes I think he is only half-joking. I was always under the impression that part-time supervisors don't have the power to fire anyone. Can they fire people?

Would appreciate answers.

Nimnim

The Nim
I can't think of any operations that work on Thanksgiving, there are some that run the day after, which is also a paid holiday. As far as it being optional it is unless no one wants to volunteer top down, then it goes mandatory bottom up, but it usually never gets to that.

As far as I know, PT sups themselves can't fire, but they can get someone else who can to. The threats may be an article 37 violation, but generally I wouldn't worry about it unless the sup starts to actively go after someone. Tons of people get told they'll be fired and most just laugh it off.