Coyote logistics purchase already eliminating teamster jobs

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They should not be using ups trailers to zone skip. You can grieve that outside of the free period.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Do the tractors have coyote markings on them??
AFAIK Coyote has no tractors, no trailers, no terminals, and no driver/employees. They manage to suck $$$ out of the trucking industry; yet have no liability if a truck wrecks while pulling one of their loads. Nice, huh?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

AFAIK Coyote has no tractors, no trailers, no terminals, and no driver/employees. They manage to suck $$$ out of the trucking industry; yet have no liability if a truck wrecks while pulling one of their loads. Nice, huh?

Why should they have liability? They are simply matching companies with loads that need to be moved quickly with transporters with open capacity. Why would/should the broker have any liability?

10 point

Why should they have liability? They are simply matching companies with loads that need to be moved quickly with transporters with open capacity. Why would/should the broker have any liability?
Pulling our trailers with UPS logo displayed?

What about Brand liability?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Do you know if ups pulled the "it won't affect any ups feeder positions"when they told the union about their plan to buy the coyotes ??

I never asked management about it. They haven't told our union--that I'm aware of--what they will use Coyote for.

As far a contractors go, they're not supposed to use them until the peak period or if an emergency arises where they need to make service. Neither, it would appear, would have applied last Friday night. Our screwed up union rules say only the origin drivers can file, which a load of crap. What difference does it make? A contract violation is a contract violation. I wouldn't even cared about getting paid, as long as UPS had to pay the origin drivers when caught.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

You can bet in an accident, the driver's insurance, UPS AND Coyote will be named on the lawsuit.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Before the acquisition they did not haul any of our work.

I can't say with any authority what they are hauling now.
these companies can just ransack an industry... Run it into the ground then not be held responsible if anything happens.. Real fing nice.

FEGuy

Are you guys serious about this Coyote thing? Have you not been paying attention the last, oh, I don't know, 15 years or so? Coyote is just the latest in UPS's "Non-Teamster impact revenue" strategy. SCS certainly comes to mind. Have you seen the bottom line impact SCS has had at UPS in the last, oh, ten years or so? HINT: It's in the $Billions. And not one single, solitary Teamster contributed to that revenue. Coyote is the latest, and, time will tell, greatest addition to that "Non-Teamster impact" revenue. UPS is not stupid. Since the ill fated strike (remember that?) UPS has embarked on a very successful strategy to build revenue that CANNOT be impacted by the Teamsters. So far, they have been very, very successful. That is why I, a lowly worker, have accumulated a LOT of UPS stock. Your results may vary.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think that's pretty clear language saying that Coyote will take away union jobs, considering UPS acquired Coyote.
They are a freight broker. Unless we had Teamster brokers before, they're not taking any jobs from anybody.
Could the Hogg unionize the coyotes??? Does ups plan on branding over these guys or will it be a totally separate company??
There is nobody to unionize. All the employees are in fancy offices on the computer or phone.
Coyote is a fright broker basically...
Basically nothing. That's what they do.
I can't say with any authority what they are hauling now.
They're not hauling anything. They don't own any trucks.
Freight brokers act as a middle man. Often times these big freight shippers sign contracts with companies like Coyote to haul everything. Coyote then becomes the shipping agent. They carry liability insurance to cover themselves in case a carrier they hire to carry the freight lacks liability insurance, or something arises that ends up coming back to them. My dad is a freight broker for Landstar, they carry liability insurance for the independents as a precaution.
these companies can just ransack an industry... Run it into the ground then not be held responsible if anything happens.. Real fing nice.
They really don't ransack anything. They take orders from companies looking for trucks, and find guys with trucks and open space to carry them. It's called commerce. You wouldn't consider UPS responsible for something the post office does after you drop off SurePost would you? Why should companies like Coyote be responsible for stuff the guy actually hauling the freight does?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They clearly stated in the inside ups magazine that they would use coyote to move ups volume during the free periods. They also said they would use "empty" ups trailers to move frieght. This essentially creates a new service class that will be hauled by contractors instead of teamsters.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They clearly stated in the inside ups magazine that they would use coyote to move ups volume during the free periods. They also said they would use "empty" ups trailers to move frieght. This essentially creates a new service class that will be hauled by contractors instead of teamsters.

UPS can use contractors during the fee period. Coyote won't change that.

The only thing Coyote will do is eliminate the need for UPS to have contractors on hand. Coyote will "find" one to move the load.

What is wrong with using empty UPS trailers to move freight if we are the ones moving it.

Instead of pulling one and an empty, pull one with an Old Dominion on the back.

Just don't do it the other way around. Outside of the free period, do not use Coyote to move our trailers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What is wrong with using empty UPS trailers to move freight if we are the ones moving it.

Instead of pulling one and an empty, pull one with an Old Dominion on the back
Wouldn't there be a perceived liability in pulling another company's equipment?
Besides, redistributing empties is a necessary task in our network.
I would think it would be better business to just put OD's freight in our trailer if it's contractually viable?
I would like to think our union would have limited this practice to the other union freight haulers we represent, when negotiating this concession into the last contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When this whole premise of "mixed loads" was sold in our local, it was as being a likely partnership between us and UPS Freight.

Inthegame

You need to give this a little more thought as you have expressed displeasure with the CSPF cuts...
Just don't do it the other way around. Outside of the free period, do not use Coyote to move our trailers.
Right cause UPS spent 2 billion dollars to only use Coyote's services for two months a year, and we all believe that fairy tale.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You need to give this a little more thought as you have expressed displeasure with the CSPF cuts...

What does moving someone else's freight have to do with CSPF cuts?

Most non-union freight companies don't even offer a pension to be cut.

Bubblehead probably said it better. Contract other freight to put in our empty trailers. Keeps us in a job.

Right cause UPS spent 2 billion dollars to only use Coyote's services for two months a year, and we all believe that fairy tale.

They spent $2B for Coyote. They will receive all the profits from Coyote. This is almost like UPS going into the truckload business without forming a truckload company.

Now UPS can do it all. From moving a pen to a whale. One call does it all.

It is just a bonus to be able to use Coyote to move our loads during peak.

As an example, UPS owns Liberty Mutual. So why aren't UPS employees insured through Liberty Mutual?

Coyote Logistics
inc5000_num_1631.png

A third-party logistics provider that arranges the transportation of roughly 5,400 shipments per day via a network of 40,000 transportation providers. It offers van, rail and open-deck brokerage services and transportation management services to more than 14,000 shippers, from Fortune 100 companies to small businesses, in many industries across North America.