Crap Vehicles

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Every day when I leave the station, I see our competition over at UPS leaving their facility at around the same time. Most of their package cars are newer models, with only a few of the older P-series walk-ins.

On the other hand, there's FedEx, with it's worn-out, raggedy looking fleet of 20 year-old Econolines, and dirty and dented W-700's, 900's, and Sprinters. We no longer repair body damage unless it is really bad or affects how the vehicle drives, so there are lots of scrapes, dents, and dirty white paint. Our CTV's look equally bad, 15-20 years old, with minimal maintenance, especially in the area of appearance.

This is surprising, since UPS has much higher operating costs. Yet they somehow have the funds to buy new equipment and maintain their older vehicles.

Just another way that the competition looks more professional than we do. Nothing says it better than a scruffy, bearded, FedEx courier driving a vehicle that looks like it belongs in Somalia.

FedEx Express, more like Ground every day.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
All the oil that drips out of our station's vehicles is amazing. A vehicle could get a PM and the next day the problem still persists. On top of that our mechanics are gone all the time and on a good week they'll make a cameo appearance for a few days.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I heard from one of our mechanics that we are getting 5700 new vehicles companywide in FY12. Roll-out is supposed to be in July or August. Wonder how many of those are new company cars for the Mephisites?

And since someone brought up appearance, maybe FedEx2000 can help since he is currently a manager and seems to not mind answering most questions (a rarity amongst the elite...)....what happened to the "no visible tattoos" policy? There are currently 6 couriers at my station that have many visible tats, including full sleeves, leg pieces, necks etc... One of these folks even showed up on Friday with saran wrap on their arm because they had their arm piece colored in the night before.

I thought visible ink was a big no-no, or is it like every other policy.."at managers discretion.."? Granted, they are all PM couriers, but I thought we had to maintain the aura of "professionalism"?

bbsam

Staff member
I heard from one of our mechanics that we are getting 5700 new vehicles companywide in FY12. Roll-out is supposed to be in July or August. Wonder how many of those are new company cars for the Mephisites?

And since someone brought up appearance, maybe FedEx2000 can help since he is currently a manager and seems to not mind answering most questions (a rarity amongst the elite...)....what happened to the "no visible tattoos" policy? There are currently 6 couriers at my station that have many visible tats, including full sleeves, leg pieces, necks etc... One of these folks even showed up on Friday with saran wrap on their arm because they had their arm piece colored in the night before.

I thought visible ink was a big no-no, or is it like every other policy.."at managers discretion.."? Granted, they are all PM couriers, but I thought we had to maintain the aura of "professionalism"?

Might simply be that tatoos have lost their negative stima much like guys having piercings.

LTFedExer

Granted, they are all PM couriers, but I thought we had to maintain the aura of "professionalism"?
Not sure of the policy. But, what difference is it that their PM couriers? P&P applies to all FedEx employees. BTW, I have 3 tattoos, 1 is visible when I wear shorts. But, the other 2 are not as long as I wear a shirt. Looking to get a 4th :)

bbsam

Staff member
If he is he hides it well, but you're discounting the greats saying things like:

Hardly. I'm saying that the attitude towards tattoos has changed and many college players going into the workforce are themselves "inked" and therefore not nearly as adverse to tattoos as the business professionals who came before them.

Nimnim

The Nim
Hardly. I'm saying that the attitude towards tattoos has changed and many college players going into the workforce are themselves "inked" and therefore not nearly as adverse to tattoos as the business professionals who came before them.

You very well could be right, tattoos are far more prevalent these days, but while I do not have a personal distaste for them, I do not find most professional.

Then again, how many young people these days, much less college athletes would you say are even close to being professional at all?

bbsam

Staff member
You very well could be right, tattoos are far more prevalent these days, but while I do not have a personal distaste for them, I do not find most professional.

Then again, how many young people these days, much less college athletes would you say are even close to being professional at all?
Most of them I believe. A bit rough around the edges, but who isn't coming right out of college?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I work in a UPS hub of around 230-250 FT drivers and vehicles, delivery only, not feeders etc.

I would guess that 40-50% are newer models and 50-60% are older ones. The more urban routes are mostly old cars, the higher milage suburb routes are obviously more often than not smaller and more maneuverable

On the other hand, my daily air route of sensitive time commitments (usually 6-9 stops, 60-80 miles) 3 hours, I am forced to take out a 1986 P1000 and it is truly a big ol POS, no power steering etc.

UPS hasn't quite fully phased out the old ones yet, it will probably be another 20 years - newer cars now, are old by then!

LTFedExer

I work in a UPS hub of around 230-250 FT drivers and vehicles, delivery only, not feeders etc.

I would guess that 40-50% are newer models and 50-60% are older ones. The more urban routes are mostly old cars, the higher milage suburb routes are obviously more often than not smaller and more maneuverable

On the other hand, my daily air route of sensitive time commitments (usually 6-9 stops, 60-80 miles) 3 hours, I am forced to take out a 1986 P1000 and it is truly a big ol POS, no power steering etc.

UPS hasn't quite fully phased out the old ones yet, it will probably be another 20 years - newer cars now, are old by then!
That's right, this thread is about vehicles. I drove an Econoline with 340K miles on it. While it could have looked better, it did run pretty damn good.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's right, this thread is about vehicles. I drove an Econoline with 340K miles on it. While it could have looked better, it did run pretty damn good.

Like this? lol
(It's Express, I know)
1990_Ford_Econoline_Box_Van_FedEx.jpg

far far superior to what they have us taking out to deliver airs.