Cut and Run Suckers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Who's being forced? It's amazing to me how little people know about the world beyond what's reported in the media. You truly have no idea what you're missing.

Yeah, I've been to Mexico. Not impressed. I guess you'll be buying something in the Bay Area then with Fred's big retirement check?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Texas has one of the most diversified economies in the country. It's laughable to think programs like NASA keep it afloat. And yeah, I've heard of quantitative easing. Interesting how the Dollar increased in value AFTER they stopped printing money. It was so successful that a number of major nations were threatening to replace the Dollar as the world's reserve currency since they didn't like seeing their U.S. bonds being paid back in inflated Dollars. As far as my intelligence, I've got a reasonably high I.Q. And am a voracious reader. Didn't your first grade teacher tell you to not judge a book by it's cover? Do you read anything that doesn't have pics of naked women or superheroes?
P.S. Couldn't hit the ignore button, could you? And everyone knows Russia was only a military superpower. Took Reagan standing up to them to make them realize they'd never defeat us.

RTW-diversified isn't exactly diversified in my book. Texas is a GOP RTW paradise. Perry's successor is even more of a suck-up to Big Business and the Bible-Bangers.

vantexan

RTW-diversified isn't exactly diversified in my book. Texas is a GOP RTW paradise. Perry's successor is even more of a suck-up to Big Business and the Bible-Bangers.
And when the economy was in the schittcan millions of people from pro-labor states moved to Texas because there were jobs to be had. Texas was one of the few states in the country little affected by the recession.

vantexan

Yeah, I've been to Mexico. Not impressed. I guess you'll be buying something in the Bay Area then with Fred's big retirement check?
It's like I just came to the forum yesterday. Remember all the times when I pointed out how they cheated us on the traditional pension? How the portable pension won't pay nearly enough? I'm taking the Social Security leveling option on the traditional. Means I get 12 decent years then it drops to almost nothing at 67. It's either that or continue to work and if you had the numbness in your feet I'm experiencing you might choose to leave too. And you don't know Mexico like I do. But if you'd rather pay high prices and continue to work to enjoy your lifestyle, more power to you. One thing I will have, my freedom. Funny that I had to leave the States to have it.

Serf

The media is like pro wrestling now. The model is different. They don't share truth, it's all fabricated to fit the specific narrative while also being entertaining. The GOP and Democratic party have been in equal decline since post WW2.
As a retirement example I don't know what is better or worse, apples and oranges, less or more. But these two examples of career UPS drivers is a good example. I've known these men for years.
Driver A) 50 yrs old, 16 years w/ company, married, 0 kids. 2,000 sq ft house, $10,354 taxes a year, wife works. Both have BMW's. Slightly dramatic, but claims it would be hard to float his lifestyle without OT.
Driver B) 53 yrs old, 23 years w/ company, newly married, 0 kids, apartment, $1300 rent. Drives '05 ford focus. Does not own TV, lives on ramen noodles and bud light.

Driver A is expressing worry that in retirement he does not want to pay north of 12-14-16+ thousand in taxes annually. But also claims he could never picture living outside the tri state area. And Driver B is moving to the Philippines with his new wife, who is swears is not mail order. And could give a rat's butt about anything as long as he has cash in his pocket, and a bed.

That's why Van's scenario is so intriguing. He is doing what works for him. You get caught up in the daily grind and deal with it. Something of a romantic notion to move to another country, total self reliance. I just hope when I am older I'm still strong enough to hump a 24 pack of bottles up 3 flights of steps. And that I never go out in public with people who think Applebee's is a quality meal.

Meat

One thing I will have, my freedom. Funny that I had to leave the States to have it.

You'll have your freedom until you get pulled over by the policia for some routine traffic violation. Something tells me that you probably won't be able to stop yourself from explicating your theories on how Mexico fears Trump and they will probably wind up beating you to a pulp. I'm sure you probably know more about it than I, but I don't think civil liberties are a big priority down there. Trust me, man; you rub people the wrong way and it will only be a matter of time before you piss off the local authorities - can't you just retire in one of the poorer areas of Texas? How much different would that be from Mexico?

vantexan

You'll have your freedom until you get pulled over by the policia for some routine traffic violation. Something tells me that you probably won't be able to stop yourself from explicating your theories on how Mexico fears Trump and they will probably wind up beating you to a pulp. I'm sure you probably know more about it than I, but I don't think civil liberties are a big priority down there. Trust me, man; you rub people the wrong way and it will only be a matter of time before you piss off the local authorities - can't you just retire in one of the poorer areas of Texas? How much different would that be from Mexico?
It's a paradigm you're not familiar with. I'll be living where no car is needed. Yucatan State is the safest state in Mexico, lower murder rate than the U.S., almost as low as Canada. Already thousands of Americans and other foreigners in the city I'll be living in, and they love it. The Yucatan is Mayan based, not Aztec, and many there consider themselves Yucateco first, not Mexican. It was an area cut off from the rest of the country until the mid-1900's and is different in many ways. And there are other areas of Mexico with large expat populations that are also safe but tend to be more expensive. And I doubt Trump will even come up, except with local expats who tend to be pretty liberal in Mexico. Try as you might, you just don't have legitimate reasons for me not to go to Mexico because you are filtering your views through the prism of sensationalistic news media and movie stereotypes. It's not perfect, the U.S. has better infrastructure, but Mexico isn't the hellhole it's often portrayed to be. P.S. I've lived in the poorer areas of Texas on the border. The interior of Mexico is much nicer and less expensive. There are some nice towns on the border or nearby. McAllen, Del Rio, and Alpine are nice. A few others too.

Last edited:

Serf

I use Applebee's as a reference tool. An example of a cheap, efficient, American fusion restaurant. The half price apps or 2/20$ is a microcosm for what's wrong. It's frozen food from a bag more or less. And the entrees are mostly airplane food that is defrosted from a bag. Bring your family! Eat here. High sodium but it's so tasty and convenient! Ever been to a beach community in Mexico? Some of the best seafood for a peso or 2, that I have ever had in my life. Pollo ala brasa, fresh cilantro, etc. OR mozzarella sticks and potato skins and a 10oz. cricket piss coors light. o_O
As for retirement abroad. The idea of Mexico seems tame compared to where some of my Army friends have chose to put down roots. Spanish is easy to speak, and your still on the same continent as the USA. One guy I served with collects disability, and lives with his wife and kid in Caygan de Oro, Philippines.

vantexan

I use Applebee's as a reference tool. An example of a cheap, efficient, American fusion restaurant. The half price apps or 2/20$ is a microcosm for what's wrong. It's frozen food from a bag more or less. And the entrees are mostly airplane food that is defrosted from a bag. Bring your family! Eat here. High sodium but it's so tasty and convenient! Ever been to a beach community in Mexico? Some of the best seafood for a peso or 2, that I have ever had in my life. Pollo ala brasa, fresh cilantro, etc. OR mozzarella sticks and potato skins and a 10oz. cricket piss coors light. o_O
As for retirement abroad. The idea of Mexico seems tame compared to where some of my Army friends have chose to put down roots. Spanish is easy to speak, and your still on the same continent as the USA. One guy I served with collects disability, and lives with his wife and kid in Caygan de Oro, Philippines.
I spent several years researching the Phil's. Had planned to go there in my late 50's to find a wife. Couldn't get around the bad infrastructure there, and even many of the expats who otherwise love it can't stand the food. Thai food it isn't. Former college girlfriend found me on Facebook 4 years ago, no longer need the Phil's!