D.R.I.V.E

PobreCarlos

menotyou;

I'm not sure I buy that. It seems to me that, with this last post, you just proved that you're "stupid enough to get on [my] merry-go-round again". I suspect that what you actually are is not quite intelligent enough - or informed enough - to be able to ride it without [virtually, at least] "losing some skin". Given that, I understand why perhaps you shouldn't attempt to "ride" it anymore. But that's a choice YOU are going to have to make....and follow through on. I say that because this "merry-go-round" operator isn't one who's inclined to give away "free tickets".

menotyou

bella amicizia
menotyou;

I'm not sure I buy that. It seems to me that, with this last post, you just proved that you're "stupid enough to get on [my] merry-go-round again". I suspect that what you actually are is not quite intelligent enough - or informed enough - to be able to ride it without [virtually, at least] "losing some skin". Given that, I understand why perhaps you shouldn't attempt to "ride" it anymore. But that's a choice YOU are going to have to make....and follow through on. I say that because this "merry-go-round" operator isn't one who's inclined to give away "free tickets".
That's it? That's all you got? Wow. My granddaughter could do better than this. I say, "FAIL."

PobreCarlos

menotyou;

It's "not ever gonna happen"? Pray tell, then just what *IS* happening???

Sorry, but as I recall, it wasn't me that described either the "merry-go-round" or the process of getting on it. As I said before, it's your choice as to whether you want to ride it or not. Obviously, you've made that choice. Have fun!

PobreCarlos

Quote from "menotyou"....

"No offense Pobre, but don't think I'm stupid enough to get on your merry-go-round, again."

Nope, I guess she isn't, is she? :-)

And to "menotyou":

Tell ya' what, "menot"....I'll let you ride all by yourself for a while. Given your posts on this thread subsequent to making the quote above, I guess you've earned the right. So, again, have fun!

menotyou

bella amicizia

BrownArmy

Yep, "Rolling Stone" has a well-deserved reputation for it's ability to understand and expose economic matters, doesn't it? About on par, no doubt, with that of the character Maynard G. Krebs speaking on the topic of "The Validity Of Work".

Sooooo, did you read the article?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Sleeve_meet_heart and menotyou;

Sleeve: I'm sure you're aware that Romney was one of the founding partners of Bain Capital and, as such, it's extremely difficult to say that he was "piggy-backing" off an entity that he not only owned, but created; I'm not aware that, in the context of Bain, he was "given much wealth" in any sense of the words by ANYONE. Rather, individuals and groups trusted him to invest their money, and he returned that trust by generally investing it wisely and providing them with a profit. If that's a "gift", then it's a "gift" that's available to you as well; all you have to do is convince others that YOU can provide a similar service, then follow through on it. Simple as that....at least in the saying. It's the "follow through" part that makes things a bit difficult. But if you want to have a go at it, then be my guest. No one is standing in your way.

menot: Yep, "Rolling Stone" has a well-deserved reputation for it's ability to understand and expose economic matters, doesn't it? About on par, no doubt, with that of the character Maynard G. Krebs speaking on the topic of "The Validity Of Work".

Mitt was set up with his new company, Bain Capital, with the golden parachute that if anything went wrong, he could go back to his job at Bain with no personal financial losses, and a face saving excuse to cover up the failure.

Private equity firms do not have the incentive to make poor companies perform better. They have an incentive to make as much money for their investors as possible. They do not care if the target companies go bankrupt, as long as they take their money out beforehand. They very often leave the target company in worse shape due to loading them up with debt to pay bloated "management fees" and dividends. They also cash out well funded pension funds using optimistic forecasts of investment returns, then leave the carcass for the Federal Pension Guaranty Fund (i.e., us the taxpayers) to support.

There is a huge difference between venture capital and private equity. Bain was the second. I suspect if we got an honest accounting of the net job creation vs. job loss on all the Bain deals during Mr. Romney's tenure in control, the losses far outnumber the gains.

This is neither spin nor exaggeration; all of this is easily verified using public records from Bain and other firms in the PE world. Matt Taibbi is not the only writer to lay the facts out. You can agree or disagree over whether these firms were a positive or negative factor in our economy. I personally consider them vultures who do no good for anyone other than their investors, and they do that by externalizing the costs onto the rest of us, while raking in the considerable gains for themselves.

Here's a couple of articles from a Nobel-Prize-winning economist, who may have more credibility in your eyes than Matt Taibbi and Rolling Stone:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/opinion/off-and-out-with-mitt-romney.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/06/opinion/bain-barack-and-jobs.html?_r=2

Once upon a time, people made money by creating things that people bought or providing a useful service. Steve Jobs, Henry Ford, Jim Casey. The current crop of "job creators" don't really create jobs, except overseas. And tend to leave a lot of human wreckage in their wake here in the US.

You often make a lot of sense, Pobre, but not on this particular issue re: Mr. Romney.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Mitt was set up with his new company, Bain Capital, with the golden parachute that if anything went wrong, he could go back to his job at Bain with no personal financial losses, and a face saving excuse to cover up the failure.

Private equity firms do not have the incentive to make poor companies perform better. They have an incentive to make as much money for their investors as possible. They do not care if the target companies go bankrupt, as long as they take their money out beforehand. They very often leave the target company in worse shape due to loading them up with debt to pay bloated "management fees" and dividends. They also cash out well funded pension funds using optimistic forecasts of investment returns, then leave the carcass for the Federal Pension Guaranty Fund (i.e., us the taxpayers) to support.

There is a huge difference between venture capital and private equity. Bain was the second. I suspect if we got an honest accounting of the net job creation vs. job loss on all the Bain deals during Mr. Romney's tenure in control, the losses far outnumber the gains.

This is neither spin nor exaggeration; all of this is easily verified using public records from Bain and other firms in the PE world. Matt Taibbi is not the only writer to lay the facts out. You can agree or disagree over whether these firms were a positive or negative factor in our economy. I personally consider them vultures who do no good for anyone other than their investors, and they do that by externalizing the costs onto the rest of us, while raking in the considerable gains for themselves.

Here's a couple of articles from a Nobel-Prize-winning economist, who may have more credibility in your eyes than Matt Taibbi and Rolling Stone:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/opinion/off-and-out-with-mitt-romney.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/06/opinion/bain-barack-and-jobs.html?_r=2

Once upon a time, people made money by creating things that people bought or providing a useful service. Steve Jobs, Henry Ford, Jim Casey. The current crop of "job creators" don't really create jobs, except overseas. And tend to leave a lot of human wreckage in their wake here in the US.

You often make a lot of sense, Pobre, but not on this particular issue re: Mr. Romney.
Whether he makes sense or not, his mission is crystal clear. I found his responses quite curious. I certainly enjoyed the resulting silence.