Strike Job security?

SJlimabjrd

So does anyone know if we do go on strike how that will affect our employment when we come back from strike? Considering the volume could drop substantially won’t that put some of us out of a job ? Just curious if anyone knows the language on how our employment is protected under the circumstances that are fast approaching ! I like so many in our local believe we need a strike to get what we deserve but not many being educated on the repercussions that could cause for current drivers and part timers . Thanks for any insight .

Johney

So does anyone know if we do go on strike how that will affect our employment when we come back from strike? Considering the volume could drop substantially won’t that put some of us out of a job ? Just curious if anyone knows the language on how our employment is protected under the circumstances that are fast approaching ! I like so many in our local believe we need a strike to get what we deserve but not many being educated on the repercussions that could cause for current drivers and part timers . Thanks for any insight .
In 97 I remember a lot of low senior people got laid off for a while even some of the low senior mechanics.

PT Car Washer

A lot of low seniority delivery drivers will be out of work along with a lot of PT. In the Central Region a FT must have more company seniority before they can bump a PT job.

UPSmechanicinblue

In 97 I remember a lot of low senior people got laid off for a while even some of the low senior mechanics.
It was peak for a few weeks getting caught back up after the strike. The language in the new contract UPS had to create 10,000 full time jobs, 2,000 per year and it stated that if volume had to return to pre strike levels. UPS had charts and graphs in all the buildings showing how the volume was way down after the contract so they didnt have to create the new full time jobs. The union challenged UPS on this and won, the where fabing the numbers to show a drop. I honestly dont recal any mass lay offs. Charts and graphs disappeared and they started creating the jobs they agreed up on. Even the first year of the new contract.

ManInBrown

Lots of low seniority drivers and PTers will be laid off, how long is the question. It’s unavoidable and Sean basically admitted as much in an interview I saw. We will temporarily lose a lot of customers. We have feeder drivers that haven’t driven one day the entire year. It’ll get a lot worse with a strike. Anyone under 5 years company seniority should be worried.

PT Car Washer

Lots of low seniority drivers and PTers will be laid off, how long is the question. It’s unavoidable and Sean basically admitted as much in an interview I saw. We will temporarily lose a lot of customers. We have feeder drivers that haven’t driven one day the entire year. It’ll get a lot worse with a strike. Anyone under 5 years company seniority should be worried.
My building lost 5 Team runs and we have Feeder drivers working on the sorts loading and unloading.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
My building lost 5 Team runs and we have Feeder drivers working on the sorts loading and unloading.

When need to define what being laid off is at UPS…no one goes on temporary unemployment they get to bump by seniority or take two part time positions. It is a pain but they still get credit going into their pension funds and premium healthcare. I have seen full timer package and feeder drivers go into the hub temporarily. They drove the part time supervisors nuts, filed on everything..they understood the concept of “working smarter not harder”…

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If ptimers have no one to bump, they get unemployment, after the strike is over, I think. Im not sure if the can use the strike time as a waiting week. But I dont think there will be one.. I cant imagine UPS being that stupid, but then.....I can....And they will be on call every day and work them just enough so they wont qualify. Thats what I remember them telling me in 97