Dallas

Sportello

I honestly don't think our police officers go around deciding they will pick on a black person today. in fact speaking to my friends they are actually less likely to pull a black over in todays world. they just don't want to deal with the extra grief and paper work unless there is a real good reason.

I do think they use experience to profile potential bad guys based on known characteristics of a bad guy. And they are usually right.
Is that why Philando Castile was pulled over 52 times in 14 years?

Gear

Parts on Order
My wife, who identifies as black, has experienced it many times herself. She is middle class, drives a nice new car, and doesn't fit "the profile", but she still gets treated differently. When I'm with her, there are no issues...ever. Wonder why that is?

What do you mean she identifies as black?

I have NO intent, on bad mouthing your or any man's wife. Just wondering why you chose to use the word, "identifies".

MAKAVELI

I honestly don't think our police officers go around deciding they will pick on a black person today. in fact speaking to my friends they are actually less likely to pull a black over in todays world. they just don't want to deal with the extra grief and paper work unless there is a real good reason.

I do think they use experience to profile potential bad guys based on known characteristics of a bad guy. And they are usually right.
The two officers were not right and resulted in the death of an innocent man.
Philando Castile: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Castile died shortly thereafter in a hospital. “This was a GOOD MAN,” a parent at the school where he worked wrote on Facebook.

Minnesota television station KARE11 has obtainedwhat may be police dispatch audio/scanner traffic of the initial stop and shooting aftermath. Castile’s girlfriend, Reynolds, has said they were stopped for a broken taillight they didn’t really have. The possible dispatch audio has a man purported to be the officer saying, “I’m going to stop a car. I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.” Listen here.

“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the man adds. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose.” However, Castile had only a minor criminal history in Minnesota, almost entirely for traffic. Nothing in his record is even remotely as serious as armed robbery. The TV station said it obtained the audio from a viewer and hasn’t been able to verify it with police, although the license plate mentioned in it matches Castile’s; Heavy has also reached out to a police spokesperson for verification, as well as the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (which is investigating the shooting) and the officer’s lawyer. BCA’s spokeswoman, Jill Oliveira, said: “Regarding the audio you referenced… I don’t have information to provide to you about it. The BCA did not release it.” Asked for the dispatch audio, she said, “Data from an ongoing investigation does not become public under Minnesota law until the investigation concludes.”

KARE notes that, although it’s unclear which robbery the audio refers to, St. Anthony police had sent out photos of a July 2 gas station robbery in nearby Lauderdale through the Minnesota Crime Alert Network. It describes two men with dreadlocks robbing a gas station with handguns. See photos of the gas station armed robbery suspects here.

Castile’s uncle, Clarence, called the stop “racial profiling” in an interview with KARE 11 TV, saying: “I just thought it was kind of insane to pull somebody over saying they matched a robbery suspect by having flared nostrils. It is kind of hard to see flared nostrils from a car.” LillieNews.com, a local news site, published surveillance video photos of the gas station robbery suspects. The story says “two men” with dreadlocks had robbed the gas station with handguns

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What do you mean she identifies as black?

I have NO intent, on bad mouthing your or any man's wife. Just wondering why you choose to use the word, "identifies".

Sure. She is mixed race, and from the South. If you look black, you are black. Just ask Mr. Obama, who is half-white, but has always identified as black. You're put in that box immediately, so you might as well go with it. I've asked many of my mixed race friends the same question, and the answer is always the same.

bbsam. Care to weigh-in here?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is that why Philando Castile was pulled over 52 times in 14 years?

Coincidence? The vast majority of these stops were for things like a busted taillight or some minor vehicle violation. The cop needs a reason to pull you over, so if you give them a reason, they're all over you.

In my local area here, a prominent black politician was pulled over numerous times for no reason at all. I already mentioned my black judge friend, who is still regularly pulled over.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Castile died shortly thereafter in a hospital. “This was a GOOD MAN,” a parent at the school where he worked wrote on Facebook.

Minnesota television station KARE11 has obtainedwhat may be police dispatch audio/scanner traffic of the initial stop and shooting aftermath. Castile’s girlfriend, Reynolds, has said they were stopped for a broken taillight they didn’t really have. The possible dispatch audio has a man purported to be the officer saying, “I’m going to stop a car. I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.” Listen here.

“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the man adds. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose.” However, Castile had only a minor criminal history in Minnesota, almost entirely for traffic. Nothing in his record is even remotely as serious as armed robbery. The TV station said it obtained the audio from a viewer and hasn’t been able to verify it with police, although the license plate mentioned in it matches Castile’s; Heavy has also reached out to a police spokesperson for verification, as well as the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (which is investigating the shooting) and the officer’s lawyer. BCA’s spokeswoman, Jill Oliveira, said: “Regarding the audio you referenced… I don’t have information to provide to you about it. The BCA did not release it.” Asked for the dispatch audio, she said, “Data from an ongoing investigation does not become public under Minnesota law until the investigation concludes.”

KARE notes that, although it’s unclear which robbery the audio refers to, St. Anthony police had sent out photos of a July 2 gas station robbery in nearby Lauderdale through the Minnesota Crime Alert Network. It describes two men with dreadlocks robbing a gas station with handguns. See photos of the gas station armed robbery suspects here.

Castile’s uncle, Clarence, called the stop “racial profiling” in an interview with KARE 11 TV, saying: “I just thought it was kind of insane to pull somebody over saying they matched a robbery suspect by having flared nostrils. It is kind of hard to see flared nostrils from a car.” LillieNews.com, a local news site, published surveillance video photos of the gas station robbery suspects. The story says “two men” with dreadlocks had robbed the gas station with handguns
Pulling people over in the area of where a past robbery had taken place is called good police work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe most robbery suspects don't look like him?

Good point. It's true that blacks commit a disproportionate share of crimes, but they don't all look alike except to some folks. However, driving in the "wrong" neighborhood late at night doesn't justify a traffic stop. I'll use my judge friend again as an example. He lives in a very upscale neighborhood and I think he's probably the only black man who lives there. He got stopped all the time until the cops discovered who he was and what he drove. Whenever he gets a new car or drives a rental, he gets stopped.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Its profiling. I'm betting you've never been pulled over for looking like a robbery suspect.;)
Twice a drove a vehicle that was very close to what the police were looking for. I found out a good trick to avoid such incidents in the future , just carry a police scanner with you. Whenever I hear something that has happened near me, I go in the other direction that the officers are looking at .

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

More facts, are coming to light. ??

Police Scanner from Philando Castile Shooting Blows Hole in Report 'Just Pulled Over for Tail Light'

Confirmed – Philando Castile Was an Armed Robbery Suspect – False Media Narrative Now Driving Cop Killings…

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Good point. It's true that blacks commit a disproportionate share of crimes, but they don't all look alike except to some folks. However, driving in the "wrong" neighborhood late at night doesn't justify a traffic stop. I'll use my judge friend again as an example. He lives in a very upscale neighborhood and I think he's probably the only black man who lives there. He got stopped all the time until the cops discovered who he was and what he drove. Whenever he gets a new car or drives a rental, he gets stopped.
Well, every time he changes cars, he should inform his local police chief to address this situation and avoid any conflicts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Coincidence? The vast majority of these stops were for things like a busted taillight or some minor vehicle violation. The cop needs a reason to pull you over, so if you give them a reason, they're all over you.

In my local area here, a prominent black politician was pulled over numerous times for no reason at all. I already mentioned my black judge friend, who is still regularly pulled over.

Do they?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Twice a drove a vehicle that was very close to what the police were looking for. I found out a good trick to avoid such incidents in the future , just carry a police scanner with you. Whenever I hear something that has happened near me, I go in the other direction that the officers are looking at .

Scanners are illegal in some states.