Davis Out, Abney In - New Meat for the Old Bitching Beat

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Photog, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

UPS announced today that effective September 1, Scott Davis will retire as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) after 29 years of service. Scott will retain his role as Chairman of the UPS Board of Directors.

Replacing Scott as CEO will be current Chief Operating Officer David Abney.

Go to UPSers.com for more information.

2. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

29 years? Does that mean his pension will be less than those who worked over 30 years?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Monkey Butt

Somehow, I believe, my 40 years in will not match his 29!

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

I didn't realize Abney was still around. Knew him in Utah (I think)

5. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Does Abney have a customer service background?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. burco8080

burco8080 Member

Abney started working pre load and work his way up. Hopefully he remembers what is was like here at the bottom.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. 'Lord Brown's bidding'

'Lord Brown's bidding' Well-Known Member

So Scott Davis has been with UPS 30 years? Where did he start, as much has been made about him being an "outsider"?

What's the low down on Abney? Start as a driver? Was he ever in operations?

8. texan

texan Well-Known Member

9. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

So much of the griping has been about how Davis was an outsider........now, it's a guy who came from a part-timer (I think) and on up through operations and all the various jobs........

Watch, the griping will still continue.

10. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The problem is that the trend is to promote bean counters even if they are from inside UPS instead of people with more experience on the operations side in my opinion.

11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

It will continue because the company will continue to move in the opposite direction of the philosophy of Jim Casey days.

Right or wrong I'm not here to argue that. Just stating facts.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Of late, seems our CEO's go through a contract cycle and then head for the exits. IMO Davis leaving was not unexpected. The question was, would his replacement come from outside UPS or from the ranks. That seems answered now.

But is this the first CEO (Abney) who will not be the COTB as well? Davis keeping that position if I understand the OP correct.

In my 33 years don't remember that occurring so if anyone's UPS history is better, speak up as I'm curious on this point.

13. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

"New meat for the old bitching beat"???
    Seems to me that there is nothing old about the issues being bitched about in regards to company's policies and directives.
    The only common, reoccurring theme is the company's continued desire to bleed more blood from the already emaciated turnip.
    When looked at from that perspective, perhaps it is a fitting title as I doubt this guy will be any different?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Part of this is because at 10+ million a year how long do you really need to work.

I can tell you more than likely if I was a high level pro athlete I would of retired at 30 and enjoyed the rest of my life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Monkey Butt

When a CEO is not promoted until his 50's with 20 + years with the company, it is not the money that they are interested in.
    I've known and been around 5 CEOs and none of them needed the money ... it is about creating change and having a legacy and most importantly, the power to effect their goals to to create that change and legacy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

So its a power trip to them similar to politicians? And I disagree about money. Otherwise they would refuse or return some or all of their compensation.

17. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Ideally, his first action as CEO would be to show up unannounced at an actual operating center and spend a week or two seeing for himself what a complete custerfluck ORION is in the REAL world. I doubt his handlers and minions would allow that to happen, but its a nice thought nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • List
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Abney is one of the people who forced ORION on everyone. Do you expect him to admit its a failure now?

19. Monkey Butt

Sure.
    Other than Davis, these people became CEOs with a wealth between 10 and 20 million or more in today's dollars.

People not in the know think a CEO has a great life but it is pretty much of a crappy life to people like you and me.
    They travel all the time, they are on conference calls in the middle of the night, there is no such thing as a real vacation ... CEOs are owned by UPS 24/7/365.

20. Highwayman

Highwayman Member

"Meet the new boss same as the old boss"

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List