Daylight Savings

wkmac

daylightsavings.jpg
daylightsavings.jpg

personally I like DLST, specially in the summer months. I used to say that either they should leave that (summer) time year round or move Christmas to June. I really hated delivering after dark.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't really care one way or the other. I very seldom have to know what time it is anymore.:happy2:

I don't really care one way or the other. I very seldom have to know what time it is anymore.:happy2:
Well, me neither really. Except for when it is time pick my wife up from work. :) I'm gonna be up beore the sun regardless and sometimes asleep when it goes down.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We were eating at 4:45 and it was dark outside......felt the urge to go to bed.................not a sexual kind of "go to bed" either. Am I suppose to eat supper in my pajamas now?

klein

Für Meno :)
We wanted to keep DLST all year round, but they thought it's too dangerous out there for the school children to walk in the dark to school (being not seen and ran over).

Damn kids ! LOL

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
How dare you say "old indian"-----------don't you know how sensitive some are on here. I'm surprised all the mods (especially Hoax) let this slip through.
I dunno... he looks pretty old to me. I can see how the baby boomers could take offense though.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"Squaw" was, during the frontier days, not only an extremely derisive term for a Native American woman but also a vulgar slang term for the female vagina. Its modern-day equivalent rhymes with the word "runt". I am not one who tends to be a proponent of all the politically correct feel good crap, but "squaw" is a truly obnoxious and offensive word that needs to be dropped out of circulation like a bad habit. To refer to a native woman as a "squaw" would be like calling gay people "fags" or black people "******s". It is a totally inappropriate word to use as part of ones normal vernacular.

rod

Retired 22 years
"Squaw" was, during the frontier days, not only an extremely derisive term for a Native American woman but also a vulgar slang term for the female vagina. Its modern-day equivalent rhymes with the word "runt". I am not one who tends to be a proponent of all the politically correct feel good crap, but "squaw" is a truly obnoxious and offensive word that needs to be dropped out of circulation like a bad habit. To refer to a native woman as a "squaw" would be like calling gay people "fags" or black people "******s". It is a totally inappropriate word to use as part of ones normal vernacular.
That is why Minnesota made everyone change the names of roads, lakes and anything else with "squaw" in it quite a few years ago although there is still a town of Squaw Lake and one of the major lakes has a Squaw Point on it. I don't know how they got by without having to change but I bet crooked politics had something to do with it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
For the actual derivation and origin of the word squaw, please read here:
http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/squaw_1.pdf

Excerpt from article:
I have always tried to emphasize that squaw is now generally considered disparaging, as current dictionaries rightly indicate. Everyone would regard its use to refer to a Native American woman as demeaning (or colossally ignorant), though it should be noted that terms like squaw bread and squaw dance are still pretty widely used in Indian Country.

In its historical origin, the word squaw is perfectly innocent, as current dictionaries also correctly indicate: squaw comes from a language of the Algonquian family in which it meant "woman.''

Many languages of the Algonquian family have related words for "woman'' that can be reconstructed back to the Proto-Algonquian parent language as *ethkweewa by using the techniques of comparative linguistics ...

It is as certain as any historical fact can be that the word squaw that the English settlers in Massachusetts used for "Indian woman'' in the early 1600s was adopted by them from the word squa that their Massachusett-speaking neighbors used in their own language to mean "female, younger woman,'' and not from Mohawk ojiskwa' "vagina,'' which has the wrong shape, the wrong meaning, and was used by people with whom they then had no contact. The resemblance that might be perceived between squaw and the last syllable of the Mohawk word is coincidental.

Added below

Oprah sensationalized and spread the false derivation from the Mohawk language starting in 1992 and the Mohawk derivation first appears in literature in 1892.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw

Last edited: