Delivering right after loading shift

nineyearsUGH

Hello my fellow UPS brothers !! Question . I loaded from 615 till about 10:30 cuz we were backed up and was asked if I wanted to make a drop of packages an hour away. I said yes and put my browns on. Waited around for a couple mins but then was told that there weren't enough packages and that they weren't gonna use me . The question is ... Does the 10 hour rule not apply to this ? I know some loaders load for a couple hours then deliver to airport. Does the 10 hour rule not apply to these types of deliveries ? I'm thinking not .. Little help please

The 10 hour rule always applies. If you start each day at 6:15pm, then you need to be off the clock by 8:15 am. You are well within the 14-on/10-off rule.
You probably should get paid the air driving rate because you were waiting around as a driver--you browned up. This is why when asked to drive, I immediately grab a diad and punch in. A sup would have to doctor my record to change the time to inside rate. When they create a new timecard for you, it's easy for them to leave you at the lower rate... accidentally, on purpose. Talk to your steward.

nineyearsUGH

If you are working, punch out, you can not punch in again regardless of what time it is until 10 hours has passed.

Sorry cachsux, you are incorrect.
The 10 hour rest period frees you up do work for 14 hours. You can punch in and out as many times as you want in that 14 hours; it's just that UPS can't force you to punch back in.
I did it yesterday. I worked preload, starting at 5:30a, punched out. Punched in on a diad and drove air. Punched out. Got a call asking me to do an air meet. Punched in on a new diad and punched out before 7p, safely within the 14 hours. All legal. Many of us in the building do it all the time. If it were a DOT violation we would know. (that story later)
Don't some companies force their drivers to lag off during the day?

TheKingOfQueens

The 10 hour rule always applies. If you start each day at 6:15pm, then you need to be off the clock by 8:15 am. You are well within the 14-on/10-off rule.
You probably should get paid the air driving rate because you were waiting around as a driver--you browned up. This is why when asked to drive, I immediately grab a diad and punch in. A sup would have to doctor my record to change the time to inside rate. When they create a new timecard for you, it's easy for them to leave you at the lower rate... accidentally, on purpose. Talk to your steward.

Thx for clarifying ! Thx a bunch !!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sorry cachsux, you are incorrect.
The 10 hour rest period frees you up do work for 14 hours. You can punch in and out as many times as you want in that 14 hours; it's just that UPS can't force you to punch back in.
I did it yesterday. I worked preload, starting at 5:30a, punched out. Punched in on a diad and drove air. Punched out. Got a call asking me to do an air meet. Punched in on a new diad and punched out before 7p, safely within the 14 hours. All legal. Many of us in the building do it all the time. If it were a DOT violation we would know. (that story later)
Don't some companies force their drivers to lag off during the day?

Read this and get back to us.

https://cms.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-service/summary-hours-service-regulations

nineyearsUGH

Fine, I'll take the bait. I read the regs, and still think I am right. Indeed, the regs talk about down time:

"14-Hour Limit
May not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period."

The fact that they address off duty time during a shift, implies that it is legal to punch in and out within the 14 hour span of duty. They give you 14 hours in which to work only 11. Three hours have to be off the clock. Where in the regs do you see it say that if you punch out, you're done for the day?

I am surprised to see the reg about a 30 min. break before the 8 hour mark. How often does UPS break this? I can't count that high, I think.

PT Car Washer

I believe all the regs don't pertain to small package and more towards over the road tractor trailer. A lot of us work preload and run air or do pick ups and work twi. Don't punch out but go on lunch break. As long as we don't go over on hours and have the required 10 hours off I think we are good.

Redprixboy

I work preload at a small center. I have another job on the weekends. 2x16 hour shifts ending Sunday at 11:15. Cover driver spot will be opening soon. My center manager and union rep told me that all I need is the 10 hour reset. They said if I left my other job an hour early I'd be good to go. They said the 34 hour reset is for on road hours only and my other job doesn't affect that. I tried reading through the dot page. Something seems fishy. I don't trust any of them. Any help would be great. Sorry bout hijacking the thread.

fres431

10 hour reset on dot driving..8 hr between shifts if not driving for ups example I driver help till 8pm I can't start preload till 4am.as fat as driving dot I think your permitted 60hours a week..my rule is don't let ups management know what you do off ups clock..

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
10 hour reset on dot driving..8 hr between shifts if not driving for ups example I driver help till 8pm I can't start preload till 4am.as fat as driving dot I think your permitted 60hours a week..my rule is don't let ups management know what you do off ups clock..
They have to offer 8 hours between shifts if you ask for it....but I've worked with less hours in between.