Discipline for not knowing safety questions 100%

BLACKBALLED

UPSSOCKS-(Keter understands the lack of education our union workforce has ) What kind of garbage is that to say about upsers, are you a District or Division Manager? The fact is that all employees should know the main safety questions and in order for this to be a fact, the supervisors need to make a habit of having pcms about this at leat once a week to keep it fresh in the minds of the employees, randomly go to each employee and ask questions about, 3 keys, 5 keys, 8 keys and so on, we are all to blame for any keter failures and lack of education as you put it has nothing to do with it! I think that was a cowards remark!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The fact remains, if UPS wants to discipline people for not getting the safety regurgitation, they need to start paying people on the clock to study it. Otherwise, there is no means to discipline for it. Telling employees to go home and study it is not going to fly.

Proper planning prevents poor performance.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Does anyone remember when the company provided monthly testing on the crap we have to puke on command?

Now, why would they do away with that if, as they claim, "Safety is our Number One priority"?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The fact remains, if UPS wants to discipline people for not getting the safety regurgitation, they need to start paying people on the clock to study it. Otherwise, there is no means to discipline for it. Telling employees to go home and study it is not going to fly.

Proper planning prevents poor performance.

I disagree.

If they want to discipline people for failing to regurgitate safety drivel, they should first bargain with the union over making the memorization of such drivel a condition of employment.

Nowhere in the labor agreement does it state that our continued employment is contingent upon scoring 100% on a word game. And nowhere in the labor agreement does it state that failure to regurgitate the drivel is grounds for discipline.

We are on a slippery slope when the company gets to unilaterally dictate the conditions of our employment outside of the collective bargaining process.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I disagree.

If they want to discipline people for failing to regurgitate safety drivel, they should first bargain with the union over making the memorization of such drivel a condition of employment.

Nowhere in the labor agreement does it state that our continued employment is contingent upon scoring 100% on a word game. And nowhere in the labor agreement does it state that failure to regurgitate the drivel is grounds for discipline.

We are on a slippery slope when the company gets to unilaterally dictate the conditions of our employment outside of the collective bargaining process.

Uh read the suit I posted where UPS legitimately fired a feeder driver in Michigan for not knowing the safety dribble, more or less.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I disagree.

I agree with everything you said, but common sense dictates to me the union will allow whatever it wants to allow. Look at where the union is headed...it's turning into a big Hoffa circle jerk.

IN a perfect world, yeah, you are correct. That doesn't do a whole lot of good in the real world.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sleeve, there were other things that affected that decision. The very fact of his witnessed response to additional training was key to the findings. And anytime the company can include verifiable insubordination charges, the main thrust of your defense is hurting.

Ah socks,QUOTE]
I will try to explain in small words.
I see your condescension treatment has failed. Time to take some more meds......

Imagine what "our world" would be like without Keter. Keter keeps us in check
Wow, people, Socks has stated something that most managers would never admit. Keter keeps management in check. That is, management will not ask or permit hourly workers, or other management for that matter, to do things that are unsafe and against the law. Without keter, who knows what would happen. After all, what was it that cost UPS 3 million and the promise to spend millions more for keter?

and makes safety important to us.
Yup. Until it cost millions in fines, safety was always second to everything else, especially the production of profit at all costs. You admit that as well. Thats good, we are progressing.

Keter is there to keep OSHA away.
Oh, so you are able to pay off keter to avoid OSHA from auditing the buildings?

Also some of the Keter stuff differs from OSHA regulations to make the company a safer place. Like everything else it's about $ at UPS and Keter helps us prevent injuries that cost money.
Really, how does keter stuff make our workplace better than OSHA?

Why do we have Keter?
You already covered that. We have keter because they force you to attempt to keep a safe work place.

Without them who would you go to for safety concerns?
Again, you answered the question. Not UPS, thats for sure. Without keter, UPS managers and sups could do whatever they wanted, right? After all, that is what you posted. They force you to promote safety.

Their wouldn't be a safety committee. The Union? They just want your dues, they don't care about your safety or well being.
Really? But we are supposed to trust the company that had to be forced into OSHA compliance?

We didn't get Keter because we couldn't stay in compliance with OSHA guidelines, we hired Keter because OSHA's guidelines weren't good enough to keep our employees safe
Wait, but before you posted that keter keeps you in check and makes safety important to you. But before keter, it wasn't, right? And the only thing that brought about keter was millions in fines, and additional millions more if the violations continued.....And you want us to believe UPS cared about our safety before this?

Well if the union guys don't like it they could always quit, oh that's right they probably can't get a job anywhere else so they better learn the stuff. Well since I am experienced with Keter I will shed some light on this subject
Again with the condescending attitude.

FIRST of all... Some of the questions on a Keter audit needs to be retained knowledge.

Yup, some of it does. Like stay off moving belts. If its leaking, treat as a Hazmat, dont touch, leave area, notify. And wear your seat belts. Things like this should be known. But the verbatim stuff passing around now is pretty much worth what?

A good management person should be able to tell you what parts need to be memorized, however for the more compicated stuff, a management person can print out laminated cards that the driver and/or employees can't keep with them, and when they are asked a question that they do not know they can pull their little cards out of their pockets and use it to help with the answer.
Really? The lawsuit that Sleeve posted stated that UPS refused to accommodate their employee with a card. So why should we believe your version of what a good management person should or should not do?

Keter understands the lack of education our union workforce has and permits the use of "cheater" cards.
Really? Maybe the uneducated Socks might want to check with his managers about the use of cheater cards.

However because it is close to Christmas I will give another bit of knowledge. An employee can be fired if they demonstrate no effort to try to answer safety questions.
Well, something we can agree on. If the person refuses to make an effort, yes, you would be able to fire him. Problem is that the person would have to be very stupid to allow you enough proof to fire them for it.

A building/center will do in house audits to prepare for Keter. They are typically documented very well. A person that continues to not be able to answer certain questions could be disciplined.
Now here you go again. First you say that the employee makes no effort, now you say its answer based? Nope, you are wrong.
Especially if these matters are being explain to the employee on company time.

[/QUOTE]

Socks, I have seen many instances of where the designated responder has responded to a Hazmat leaking without any concern for proper equipment or procedures. And it was under the direction of management. I had one leaking on road. They instructed me to remove the leaking package and throw it into the dumpster after removing the labels, and when I refused, to leave it at the dock of one of my customers, and continue with my route.

I told them the package car is where it will be when the responder gets there, with the door locked, and me outside of the package car.

45 minutes later, the designated responder shows up in his personal vehicle, and places the leaker on a "carry all" device that was shoved into the hitch tube on his car. Did not use gloves, or any other device to keep from being contaminated. And did not protect the public from fumes or liquid leaking from package, as he drove the 45 minutes back to the center.

So see, while you do a tremendous amount of chest beating on how UPS cares about safety, its things like this that prove without OSHA, UPS would have carte blanc to do as you wished, in the chase for the last cent of profit. And with what you have posted in the past, you would be one of the worst offenders.

d

steward71

I know how to do my job and will not set there like a 5th grader telling UPS SUP's I know my lesson. Sorry don't have to and have told them this and nothing was done to me. They know I will not be fooled by their bull crap.

Bristol Brown

A divisional manager came into our centre and during a pcm started singling out guys the weaker ones and asked them questions on the commentary check list and the seeing habits.

I wiped the floor with him and told him not to bully the drivers and put them under unnecessary pressure in front of their peers early in the morning.

NO 6 on the commentary check list scan steering wheels................How the ***** can you scan a steering wheel when a car has a blacked out back window?

Last edited by a moderator:

kingOFchester

I heard that they can, and will, take a driver off the road for not knowing the DOK. They would still get their 8 hours, but working a split inside the building. Anyone else here this? Doesn't seem right to me....

bigblu 2 you

happened to me. got paid for eight,but i must admit it was the 8 of the most boring hours ive endured other than taking breaks and watching some march madness on the computer.

upspitts12

my response to my sup on my annual ride concerning why i could not memorize the safety points...1. we have supervisors fresh out of dts school with no driving experience, they have the stuff memorized, does that make them a good driver? answer is no. 2. i did not have to memorize this in order to be hired so i am sure the nlrb would agree that i should not have to memorize this to stay employed. 3. u cannot make me do anything that you r not attempting to make the whole dept do which i know there r many who r not capable of this. 3. he threatened discipline and i said go ahead and i would file the harassment grievance and we would go from there.....nothing else was said.

UPSSOCKS

Sounds like you scared him off... You should be a steward!!! Maybe you should write a letter to your local. I think that he should be put in time out, for hurting your feelings and getting you all worked up. Remember "sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never harm you."

jalnar

Tell them you have a learning disability, and you will sue them under all laws that apply to being discharged beacause of this disability. Also tell mgmt that you will need a tutor who specializes in teaching people with a learning disability and the cost is on their dime.

UPSSOCKS

Tell them you have a learning disability, and you will sue them under all laws that apply to being discharged beacause of this disability. Also tell mgmt that you will need a tutor who specializes in teaching people with a learning disability and the cost is on their dime.

Good one, are you a union steward?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

This is a weak and disrespectful slam on those with a learning disability.
Learn something about the ADA laws before giving out advice regarding disabilities.

Everyone has a learning style. It is up to the trainer to learn and recognize.:happy2:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
my response to my sup on my annual ride concerning why i could not memorize the safety points...1. we have supervisors fresh out of dts school with no driving experience, they have the stuff memorized, does that make them a good driver? answer is no. 2. i did not have to memorize this in order to be hired so i am sure the nlrb would agree that i should not have to memorize this to stay employed. 3. u cannot make me do anything that you r not attempting to make the whole dept do which i know there r many who r not capable of this. 3. he threatened discipline and i said go ahead and i would file the harassment grievance and we would go from there.....nothing else was said.

What is wrong with making an effort instead of excuses?:happy2: