Disqualified but still driving ground

Drake82882

I was disqualified from driving ground in February of this year. I was backing into the building and my passenger mirror was not pulled all the way in. I didn't hit the car next the car next to me. my mirror contacted the side window of the car next to me and when I continued to turn my wheels to back, the pressure of my mirror on the window cracked it. I have delivered ground three times since then. A seasonal driver, who has less seniority than I do, was called back in to take a full time route because I was "DQ'd." I filed a grievance because I was passed over for the route. I continue to drive air and also work on the pre-load. Already went to one hearing and they put it on hold so they could talk to manager who sent me to deliver ground while I was DQ'd. What are my chances that I will win the grievance?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
0. You can get paid driver rate for however long you drove on the day you delivered the ground packages. Sometimes they have air drivers deliver ground, they then are paid driver rate. But that's it. Sorry.

Overpaid Union Thug

I was disqualified from driving ground in February of this year. I was backing into the building and my passenger mirror was not pulled all the way in. I didn't hit the car next the car next to me. my mirror contacted the side window of the car next to me and when I continued to turn my wheels to back, the pressure of my mirror on the window cracked it. I have delivered ground three times since then. A seasonal driver, who has less seniority than I do, was called back in to take a full time route because I was "DQ'd." I filed a grievance because I was passed over for the route. I continue to drive air and also work on the pre-load. Already went to one hearing and they put it on hold so they could talk to manager who sent me to deliver ground while I was DQ'd. What are my chances that I will win the grievance?
If you delivered ground after getting DQd then it's worth a shot to fight your DQ and being passed up. A good steward/BA will point out that you can't simultaneously be disqualified from a job and do the job. No guarantees though.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
If you delivered ground after getting DQd then it's worth a shot to fight your DQ and being passed up. A good steward/BA will point out that you can't simultaneously be disqualified from a job and do the job. No guarantees though.
He diddnt take out a whole route for the day I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong @Drake82882 , he just delivered "some" ground , which happens sometimes with air drivers. Then they get driver rate. If he delivered a whole route all day I would say fight it, if not, no chance.

UPSGUY72

But he's not qualified to deliver ANY ground. LOL. What a company we work for! LOL.

Not correct he's got DQ'd from being allowed to be a FT driver not from delivering ground. PT and FT air drivers deliver ground all the time and on that days they do they get paid FT drivers rate for that day. The OP would have either got DQ'd for going FT as a driver or got DQ'd from driving altogether not DQ'd from delivering ground.

Drake82882

I got dq'd from ground period. I did deliver a whole route. Delivered ground 8 hrs and then ran air to the nearest airport which was another 4 hrs. I was told no ground AT ALL! I'm in the process of fighting it.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I got dq'd from ground period. I did deliver a whole route. Delivered ground 8 hrs and then ran air to the nearest airport which was another 4 hrs. I was told no ground AT ALL! I'm in the process of fighting it.
No you got disqualified from going FT. That doesn't disqualify you from delivering ground.

fres431

Hope ya learned from
The mirror mistake ..I personally wouldn't of dqed you for that if it was in hub it happens a lot while parking trucks close..they want 4ft clearance when parking on route but not in hub? That's why I call the safety crap bs.. I just tell them I'm adjusting to changing conditions I let it be

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Hope ya learned from
The mirror mistake ..I personally wouldn't of dqed you for that if it was in hub it happens a lot while parking trucks close..they want 4ft clearance when parking on route but not in hub? That's why I call the safety crap bs.. I just tell them I'm adjusting to changing conditions I let it be
We don't allow new guys to pull into the building for exactly this reason. When they get back they have to come in and get a local sorter to pull the vehicle in. Had 2 guys last year get disqualified for broken mirrors in the building.

fres431

180 cars broken mirror are common in my building. If they never get exp trying they will
Never be have confidence in doing it. I believe in growing pains

By The Book

No you got disqualified from going FT. That doesn't disqualify you from delivering ground.
True, however I think he has a case if after he was disqualified from becoming a driver that his center manager had him deliver a route, that is a normal route with p/ups. We will have to wait and see how this one plays out.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That's we clean our windows, back and crack-replace. It's the only way to get the hard water stains off the glass.

Overpaid Union Thug

Not correct he's got DQ'd from being allowed to be a FT driver not from delivering ground. PT and FT air drivers deliver ground all the time and on that days they do they get paid FT drivers rate for that day. The OP would have either got DQ'd for going FT as a driver or got DQ'd from driving altogether not DQ'd from delivering ground.
Stupid stupid stupid. And that's exactly why I said "What a company we work for". But we now know he has ran a full route after the fact. So, to me it sounds like he's qualified to be fulltime. If the current status quo continues the'll work him 39 hours a week delivering ground. Or 7 hours a day. See the problem? It doesn't make sense.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Someone who delivers air in a UPS package car is operating the same equipment on the same roads as someone who is delivering ground packages. Same license, same DOT card, same certification, etc etc etc.

If the company's position is that a cracked mirror should disqualify one from delivering ground package due to concerns about their ability to drive a package car safely, then I'm not seeing why it would somehow be OK for that same person to deliver air packages. Either they are safe, or they aren't.

My thought is that the company has no concerns at all about the safety issue, and every concern with keeping as many drivers as possible in pre-seniority or progression for as long as possible. If a new hire or PT employee drives for 29 days and then gets DQ'd for a cracked mirror, that ultimately equals 29 more days that his/her replacement will be paid to do the same work at less than the top rate.