Do your post-trip before you come back to the building????

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
disagree with your last sentence. post trip means post trip and I would tell management so. I'm the one with the CDL and have to obey federal and state laws which supercedes UPS rules or directives if they are against those laws. have had many arguments with UPS bosses on this and eventually they capitulated.

And if there is any confusion....

Ask for it in writing.

-Bug-

barnyard

KTM rider
For minor stuff that will not make or break a day, I write those on the flap of the DVIR and then tell the mechanics. They either get to it if they have time or take care of it during the PMI or when there is a safety related write up.

I do my post trip where we turn in our air, which is the way we were trained to do it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I will sometimes see a new driver walk around the package car at the fuel pump. They stop doing this after a month or two. Our package cars look so bad from not being washed nobody can tell if the paint gets scratched up. A Pretrip consists of finding the fob and honking the horn when we pull out of the building.

fres431

Apparently our Business Agent got in a heated argument with an ORION Band of Idiots who were telling package drivers to complete their post trip out on road when they had 4-5 stops left. Has this been going on anywhere else?
WAD. Work As Directed..do in field post trip when ya get back to building do the real post trip..your counter is I adjusted to changing conditions..

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
disagree with your last sentence. post trip means post trip and I would tell management so. I'm the one with the CDL and have to obey federal and state laws which supercedes UPS rules or directives if they are against those laws. have had many arguments with UPS bosses on this and eventually they capitulated.
Read everything I posted in this thread. There is no federal DOT requirement for a post trip inspection, just that if we find a problem we write up the dvir after the trip. Unless you have a state DOT requirement to do a post trip then the only reason one would be required is because UPS is requiring it, so while I agree with you, if it's just a UPS requirement, they could tell you tomorrow to stop doing them completely and you'd have to WAD.

wornoutupser

I absolutely post trip every night.
Look how much I make over the course of a year...and cover my butt if the night crew scratches my vehicle!
Seriously......management KNOWS I do this and NEVER questions me in the mornings....

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I wonder if the Pilots are being told to do their post trip walkaround of the outside of the plane 1/2 hour before landing?
Pilot's post trip about as much as package car drivers. Unlike package car drivers, they're not getting paid when the engines aren't running.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I only do a pre trip. I know if something is wrong before I park it for the night. The mechanic and I have a great rapport. I just ck to see any new scratches from the metro in the morning

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I can't count how many times I have come in and found a flat tire or broken spring upon my post-trip inspection and there was no idication while I was driving. Techie, I disagree that you can lawfully sign off a DVIR and CCR without performing at least a cursory inspection such as what we do now. Besides, it makes safety and business sense as we don't want to pass on safety problems and it's much easier for the shop to correct or red tag the equipment prior to it being loaded (and always "hot"). We are trained to do so both in Feeders and Package.

The way to correct Package or Feeder drivers who won't write up their equipment is to do it on the Friday before they come back from vacation.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
some bid drivers hated it when i was relief cause i wrote so much stuff up.

minor stuff i would just tell the mechanic . safety i would bring over to have the DVIR book signed and maybe the tractor would be red tagged.

i just could not understand drivers who wont write up stuff. ya, they are afraid it will be pulled off line but that may be for only a day or two instead of a month if they let things go.

on the plus side , the better drivers would appreciate me doing their run since they got their tractor back nice and clean and invariably in better shape than when they went on vac.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Read what I wrote folks. There isn't a federal requirement, but I agree it should be done. It's ups policy to do it.
where are you getting this? i googled it and the fmcsa says that a pre trip and post trip is still required but the paperwork does not have to be turned in unless a defect is found.

i agree with you that this is STILL a UPS requirement.

the DOT at the scales told me that technically we drivers can be fined for not logging 15 minutes for both a pre-trip and post trip.( but they rarely enforce this )

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
where are you getting this? i googled it and the fmcsa says that a pre trip and post trip is still required but the paperwork does not have to be turned in unless a defect is found.

i agree with you that this is STILL a UPS requirement.

the DOT at the scales told me that technically we drivers can be fined for not logging 15 minutes for both a pre-trip and post trip.( but they rarely enforce this )
I linked the regulations. Take a peek.