Does the union know how much volume is going to the post office???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
do they know and don't care or do they honestly have no idea??? The new surepost rules the company and h and h hashed out are an absolute joke and equate to very few stops coming back to us. It makes me so mad when the po is hiring and our guys are on layoff... This isn't right.. So does anyone think this is going to be a big enough issue to change somewhat during the next contract??

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The union says it saves UPSers jobs.

They say at least we pick up that volume, sort it, and deliver it to the local post offices.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

They say at least we pick up that volume, sort it, and deliver it to the local post offices.
Sounds like that is some Jedi mind games that the company is feeding the union... I know there has to be s program like this but it doesn't mean we have to get hosed on it... Right??

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You are correct.
It amazes me that people can't understand this ... maybe they are just ignorant of how Fed Ex does it.
If the PO is hiring, they would be doing so even if UPS eliminated Surepost because then FedEx would get the packages.
Luckily, Union leadership is more business savvy than many of their members.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Sounds like that is some Jedi mind games that the company is feeding the union... I know there has to be s program like this but it doesn't mean we have to get hosed on it... Right??
Well, we are losing delivery jobs for sure.

But, if we don't offer sure post, and they move the volume to the post office or fed ex smart post, we lose more jobs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You are correct.
It amazes me that people can't understand this ... maybe they are just ignorant of how Fed Ex does it.
If the PO is hiring, they would be doing so even if UPS eliminated Surepost because then FedEx would get the packages.
Luckily, Union leadership is more business savvy than many of their members.
Boy... Johnny on the spot.... You decide to post between your shots of jack??? One would be very silly to think that ups isn't tAking advantage of this program... I said that it had to be in in some form but ups is now bringing more to the po than fedex and that wasn't the case a year or so ago...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Boy... Johnny on the spot.... You decide to post between your shots of jack???
One would be very silly to think that ups isn't taking advantage of this program... I said that it had to be in in some form but ups is now bringing more to the po than fedex and that wasn't the case a year or so ago...
If that is the case, then that is a good thing. More packages from FedEx to UPS means maybe UPS has become a stop carrier for some customers.

PS - I don't drink Jack
I think Johnny Manziel is "Johnny on the spot".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Boy... Johnny on the spot.... You decide to post between your shots of jack??? One would be very silly to think that ups isn't taking advantage of this program... I said that it had to be in in some form but ups is now bringing more to the po than fedex and that wasn't the case a year or so ago...

FedEx Smartpost is delivered directly to Post Office processing centers by a feeder. FedEx employees do not handle the packages at any point during that process.

Yes, it is frustrating to watch the increasing piles of packages and bags of what many of you feel should be our work, but the reality is that if SurePost were eliminated we would get very little, if any, of that volume.

There were improvements made to the program in the last contract, to include proximity deliveries and enforcement of size/weight restrictions, which are supposed to divert packages back to us for final delivery.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
FedEx Smartpost is delivered directly to Post Office processing centers by a feeder. FedEx employees do not handle the packages at any point during that process.

Yes, it is frustrating to watch the increasing piles of packages and bags of what many of you feel should be our work, but the reality is that if SurePost were eliminated we would get very little, if any, of that volume.

There were improvements made to the program in the last contract, to include proximity deliveries and enforcement of size/weight restrictions, which are supposed to divert packages back to us for final delivery.
What are the guidelines for proximity deliveries in your center?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have not read the actual guidelines but they are really good about diverting packages that are in the same general area.
I agree with you but that isn't happening in this area.... Only if there is a ground stop attached...I had a surepost pkg today that was way too big and should have been changed to s regular stop...

10 point

You're partially right.
I have not read the actual guidelines but they are really good about diverting packages that are in the same general area.
You have evidence of what "really good" means in comparison to the actual volume that falls under the CBA?
Didn't think so.
Have you read the new contract?
He can't even tell you what jurisdicts or defines a proximity stop.

The IBT won't even define or enforce it.

Weight and size were (finally) pushed to be addressed recently but the greatest volume increases would be from proximity stop packages.

Unfortunately, the perimeters of that language is left on the table and/or left to be the steward's problem.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You're partially right.

You have evidence of what "really good" means in comparison to the actual volume that falls under the CBA?
Didn't think so.

He can't even tell you what jurisdicts or defines a proximity stop.

The IBT won't even define or enforce it.

Weight and size were (finally) pushed to be addressed recently but the greatest volume increases would be from proximity stop packages.

Unfortunately, the perimeters of that language is left on the table and/or left to be the steward's problem.
So it looks like the union isn't going to push anything with ups....even though some of that work could come back to us and have the company still be competitive against fedex smartpost...very disappointing