dont you hate it when?

when the guy right above you does not want to drive FT takes a 22.3 job and then suddenly takes a feeder route which you would have gotten. screw seniority just because he was hired 2 months before you and he gets all the pie jobs. seniority should just be used for vacation time, everything else should be by job performance.. had to vent i hate my job...:angry::biting:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I bet the person below you said the same thing when you took your FT job. Feel free to let the guy below you take your job since it's so horrible and senority has been so unfair to you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Job performance in a union shop??????

Philosophically, I wouldnt have a problem with it as long as the standards by which our performance was judged were fair, transparent, and clearly spelled out in the labor agreement.

What I wouldnt want...is a system where "job performance" was judged solely by how well you kiss the bosses ass.

Indecisi0n

when the guy right above you does not want to drive FT takes a 22.3 job and then suddenly takes a feeder route which you would have gotten. screw seniority just because he was hired 2 months before you and he gets all the pie jobs. seniority should just be used for vacation time, everything else should be by job performance.. had to vent i hate my job...:angry::biting:

Basing is on performance would be a nightmare. Like said above it would come down to who is a better ass kisser.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I got bumped off my route by a guy with 2 WEEKS seniority on me. It sucks by why stress you will one day use your seniority to bump the guy below u wether it just be an 8.0 u will do it.

images

rod

Retired 22 years
Thank God for seniority!!!!! I always loved it when some brown noser went crying to the boss about why they deserved something over a senior person--------and the boss couldn't do a DAMN thing about it. Your turn will come someday but then again if you truly hate your job why are you hanging around?

Thank God for seniority!!!!! I always loved it when some brown noser went crying to the boss about why they deserved something over a senior person--------and the boss couldn't do a DAMN thing about it. Your turn will come someday but then again if you truly hate your job why are you hanging around?

Where I like seniority is when a seniority "bully" rubs a junior drivers nose in it and makes a big deal about what He gets to do and makes his big deal for the day. When he has his chest puffed out to max I'll step over as the most senior driver and take it away from him with a smile and remind him what a bitch seniority really is.

H

htown0721

A couple of my employees have told me that about ten years ago UPS use to give bonuses based on performance. If this is true, why would UPS go away from this, most employees would actually be motivated .

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
A couple of my employees have told me that about ten years ago UPS use to give bonuses based on performance. If this is true, why would UPS go away from this, most employees would actually be motivated .
We are a bonus center which "pays for scratching" a route. Needless to say we wouldn't have half the runner gunners here if it wasn't voted on by the members when the center was created.

brett636

Philosophically, I wouldnt have a problem with it as long as the standards by which our performance was judged were fair, transparent, and clearly spelled out in the labor agreement.

What I wouldnt want...is a system where "job performance" was judged solely by how well you kiss the bosses ass.

When I was part time I would work a 2nd job in retail, and this was quite true come promotions and raises. My store manager booted a supervisor from a department that was doing well and replaced her with a personal friend of his who drove it into the ground. His personal friend went on to work in the upper echelons of corporate(saw her in a quarterly video partying it up in Miami, FL when the company was doing well) while the woman he booted out of that position went nowhere despite her having a better handle on the job.

Going by seniority isn't a perfect system, but I will take it any day of the week over the nonsense I witnessed where it was not practiced.

anonymous4

If things around here were based on performance I'd be running ****.

Real bonus for performance should be around but that idea only goes as far as the occasional ups logo plastered memorabilia.

Would you be willing to change our compensation to a base wage with raises based on performance?

Ok you have the table. Now sell it. Raises based on performance judged by whom? The driver? Certainly can't be management. Based on what criteria? How do you factor in the cake route versus the route from hell? What about age, gender, Canadian citizenship? Is safety in the equation? What about customer satisfaction?

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm open to what you got to say on it but I think you just opened up a equation that Einstein couldn't solve.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Would you be willing to change our compensation to a base wage with raises based on performance?

I guess it would depend upon the specifics of how that performance was judged.

Only a fool would trust this company to fairly and realistically judge the performance of its employees when there was a financial incentive for doing otherwise. Look at how the company is screwing over its own management people, and look at the stupid decision making that we see on a daily basis by those management people solely for the purpose of looking good on some report. Do we really want our pay to be based upon standards that the company invents and calculates on its own?