Driver Buyouts?

959Nanook

I think far more likely is the scenario where UPS would offer a "contract signing bonus" to get the two tier pay in place. Bonus would have to be substantially more than the $1000 one in the 80's. Watch the our/us Teamsters sell out our fellow worker in a heartbeat for a big enuf bonus.

For those of us that are younger UPSers... what was "the $1000 one in the 80's"?

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
i got hired full time in nov 89. i remember a short while after getting that bonus and using it to get my first apartment. so it was either 90 or 91. back in the day of 3 yr contracts

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Quick.....................buy me out before I get any more stressed!!!!:surprise: Oops!.......I forgot...I'm retired,no more stress.:sleeping2:

No stress unless you let it get to ya. I stopped stressing when the company stopped stressing the importance of service. I just do what I'm told and as safe as possible, never been written up in the 12 years I've been driving. The company changes and people stress when they don't adapt to the flavor of the month/fiscal year.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
IMHO there will have to be a buy out if they dont want 70 yr old drivers. Other wise there are people who will work til 70, and if they want the fastest delivery system out there, 70 most likely wont work, unless of course you are like that Marty guy.
If the idiots have their way in Congress and senate and raise the age to 70 for Social Security. I guess you could do that job when you are 70 since they do nothing. They rolled that Thurman guy in til he was 90"ish, didnt they. I believe he was comatose, but still doing his job, LOL

What'dyabringmetoday???

No need for a buyout. The Teamsters already offered a sell-out. They allow UPS to lay off full-time employees and have part-timers work up to twelve hours each day. We are our own worst enemy.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No need for a buyout. The Teamsters already offered a sell-out. They allow UPS to lay off full-time employees and have part-timers work up to twelve hours each day. We are our own worst enemy.
The problem is as I see it in my hub is the amount of work. Full timers will go home if given the opportunity. Part time drivers then work two or three days as thier lifestyles aren't accustomed to the ft driver pay, thinking it's just gravy if they work one day as a cover driver. The reason the FT guys go home is they work 10-11 hours a day for 4 days and they make their "2 year ago" check before the workload increase.

This not only prevents them from filing 9.5s (don't rock the boat) but also prevents them from moving more pt people to FT positions. If every FT bid driver and Swing driver worked, there would be more routes in. As it stands they let the slower drivers that do it by the book go home and slam thier routes full when they throw a pt runner gunner on it. In doing this they are also able to cut routes and circumvent the seniority system.

I personally am a "by the book"'driver and don't go home when asked to. I work the long hours and file my over 9.5's. The problem is as people like myself vanish under the pressure of the workload, or as the driver workforce refuses to file, why would ups bother doing a buyout when people just lay down to the company? What happens when just a handful of us file on contract violations and our membership gets weak? What does ups have to lose by telling us to take the contract and kill flys with it? Might be mentioning I'm in Georgia, a right to work state.

What'dyabringmetoday???

The problem is as I see it in my hub is the amount of work. Full timers will go home if given the opportunity. Part time drivers then work two or three days as thier lifestyles aren't accustomed to the ft driver pay, thinking it's just gravy if they work one day as a cover driver. The reason the FT guys go home is they work 10-11 hours a day for 4 days and they make their "2 year ago" check before the workload increase.

This not only prevents them from filing 9.5s (don't rock the boat) but also prevents them from moving more pt people to FT positions. If every FT bid driver and Swing driver worked, there would be more routes in. As it stands they let the slower drivers that do it by the book go home and slam thier routes full when they throw a pt runner gunner on it. In doing this they are also able to cut routes and circumvent the seniority system.

I personally am a "by the book"'driver and don't go home when asked to. I work the long hours and file my over 9.5's. The problem is as people like myself vanish under the pressure of the workload, or as the driver workforce refuses to file, why would ups bother doing a buyout when people just lay down to the company? What happens when just a handful of us file on contract violations and our membership gets weak? What does ups have to lose by telling us to take the contract and kill flys with it? Might be mentioning I'm in Georgia, a right to work state.

We are on the same page. I simply used less words. As I said- we are our own worst enemy.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
if they were smart they would have buyouts.they know theres no way possible nowadays to do this job more than 15 to 20 years realistically,without the drivers body wearing out.

im going on my 12th year and 40 years old. i really dont know how i am even going to make it to age 50 with the way my body feels now honestly and they expect you to make it to age 55 or 30 years of service.
like really dude, come on ups you freakin idiots. No way a driver will last that long without being like lee majors, the six million dollar man, with fake knees and fake hips.
they are a bunch of programmed unrealistic robots down there in atlanta land.
makes more sense to buyout older drivers and just have a lower pay scale on the newer drivers.
why pay a guy who is alot older than a newer driver and makes the same amount of money knowing damm well the older guy is going to move alot slower and be less productive than the newer guy.
im just saying its flat out commonsense really.
when i get to 50 if im still here im crawling the last 5 years and dont even care.
do everything buy the book and if they dont like my crawling cause they broke me down physically with their slavery, sorry bout your luck chuck.
ups should know how bad drivers with more than 10 to 20 years in hate this job anyway,thats a given and they know it.
all the bs and shady dishonest games they play with their santa claus,tooth fairy,bigfoot,lochness monster make believe fake numbers they try to brainwash drivers with.
and yes almost all the drivers feel exactly the same way.
just like they run the company so 1955.
been doing the same thing forever.i guess since they pay us 30 bux an hour they want us to have no life and be their prisoner all stinkin day to 8 or 9 every night.sure this job sux but wouldnt nearly be so bad if you could get home earlier every night and start earlier in the morning.
no reason why they shouldnt have us start at 730 or 8 in the morning,sadly considering a minor adjustment so drivers would be a little bit happier considering all the bs we already have to deal with anyway.
once again a sad reminder of the biggest company with a monopoly on the business ran like poop and so 1955.
and they wonder why drivers hate the job so much.selfishness and greed, i guess they dont mind looking in the mirror every morning and know their selling out to the dark side.
sad but true my fellow drivers.any way enjoy the rest of your sunday my compadres,and see you on the flip side of the prison tomorrow. lol

Last edited by a moderator: