Driver going after Contractor

bbsam

Staff member
Even if the contractors raise their ground employees to 18-20 an hour thats still less then many non-union LTL drivers. That should be their base pay plus bonus for high productivity. When the labor market tightens up good luck finding hard working, trustworthy employees.
Un and underemployment possibly above 20%. Might be a while before that market tightens. And we've had drivers doing it for far less for years.

bbsam

Staff member
We in Illinois will become ISP's on 7/2 and depending upon upcoming negotiations drivers at Ground should see a substantial raise.

FedExer267

But will the better drivers go for no benefits?

No!!! They cant get drivers in the door now and with FedEx management running around trying to disqualify the ones they have it will be intresting to see who will indeed drive these routes. I find it funny that you can be disqualified for life from the company. A company that makes it clear we do not work for them. Should this not be on the Contractor? Oh thats right you all signed a admendment saying it was ok for FedEx to get rid of your drivers. I hope your unemployment is paid up.

bbsam

Staff member
No!!! They cant get drivers in the door now and with FedEx management running around trying to disqualify the ones they have it will be intresting to see who will indeed drive these routes. I find it funny that you can be disqualified for life from the company. A company that makes it clear we do not work for them. Should this not be on the Contractor? Oh thats right you all signed a admendment saying it was ok for FedEx to get rid of your drivers. I hope your unemployment is paid up.

Why do you think that every station in the country is as poorly managed as the one you are in? Sorry you have a group of push-overs for contractors, but what makes you think you speak for every driver out there?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My drivers will.

You are an exception to the rule, and good on you for that. But, FedEx never gives without taking away. What are they proposing to do for you the contractor in return for the payment of higher wages? At Express, whenever we get a raise, there will be a takeaway that tilts the scale in Fred's favor. I would fully expect him to handle Ground the same way.

vantexan

Why do you think that every station in the country is as poorly managed as the one you are in? Sorry you have a group of push-overs for contractors, but what makes you think you speak for every driver out there?

If his station is the exception to the rule then why hasn't FedEx cleaned it up?

bbsam

Staff member
If his station is the exception to the rule then why hasn't FedEx cleaned it up?

We don't know if it is the exception to the rule or not. We only have his description of his building and my description of mine. They are run completely differently. In fact, if 267's description is accurate, it is exactly why Fedex has had many, many lawsuits. But if they know that ISP's are coming, they may simply not care. A bunch of contractors are gonna bite it anyway.

bbsam

Staff member
You are an exception to the rule, and good on you for that. But, FedEx never gives without taking away. What are they proposing to do for you the contractor in return for the payment of higher wages? At Express, whenever we get a raise, there will be a takeaway that tilts the scale in Fred's favor. I would fully expect him to handle Ground the same way.

Ah! There's the rub, as they say. Remember that little thing we were talking about with possibly ISP/contracting coming to Express? Well here's the trade-off for the higher pay: better service. From 99.o% to 99.9% on time delivery. How do we do that? More drivers on the road with reduced work areas, fewer hours and higher compensation. Remember how I said that Fedex was putting alot of money into Ground? This is the next installment. So what happens when Ground's service is up to Express' standards with the ISP model?

vantexan

Ah! There's the rub, as they say. Remember that little thing we were talking about with possibly ISP/contracting coming to Express? Well here's the trade-off for the higher pay: better service. From 99.o% to 99.9% on time delivery. How do we do that? More drivers on the road with reduced work areas, fewer hours and higher compensation. Remember how I said that Fedex was putting alot of money into Ground? This is the next installment. So what happens when Ground's service is up to Express' standards with the ISP model?

More drivers on the road with higher compensation sounds like less profit. How does Ground at this moment compare with Express size wise? No sarcasm here, just curious. How many states have to be converted to ISP status? And the all important question: does going to an ISP model eliminate the need to worry about RLA/NLRA, meaning the company can completely operate this way and use planes to deliver pkgs without the need for Express(as we currently know it?)? If so what kind of timeline are we talking about? This raises alot of issues such as will you be able to get better pay for your drivers because with Express gone this will be the new normal? I just hope I can hold on for a few more years then take my cash balance plan money and leave.