Driver Helper Gripes

mpeedy

If you use your helper more than the time allowed. What is going to happen? Are they going to send you to UPS jail?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I am told to use a helper, and my helper shows up on time and works hard, that helper gets 8 hours. Management can bitch and whine about it all they want ,I dont care. Its not like I'm paying him out of my pocket:laughing:

soberups

If you use your helper more than the time allowed. What is going to happen? Are they going to send you to UPS jail?
Some bean-counter in an office someplace will have a hissy fit and get his panties in a big knot over it. Life will go on. Getting the packages delivered is more important than keeping a bean-counter happy.

brownIEman

Some bean-counter in an office someplace will have a hissy fit and get his panties in a big knot over it. Life will go on. Getting the packages delivered is more important than keeping a bean-counter happy.

There are many centers where unfortunately, management have focused on the numbers so hard, they have forgotten what they mean and why they are there. If you go over the initial hours alloted for the helper, it will not make a pimple of difference to anyone as long as the driver and helper as a team are being productive, meaning, getting more delivered than the driver could alone.

The numbers that the bean counters look at are important and cannot be ignored. But they are not the end all be all and should not be viewed in a vacuum. Getting the packages delivered is the primary goal, the bean counter's job is to make sure they get delivered in a cost effective manner. If we lose site of that goal, we become DHL. And nobody wants that.

soberups

The numbers that the bean counters look at are important and cannot be ignored. But they are not the end all be all and should not be viewed in a vacuum. Getting the packages delivered is the primary goal, the bean counter's job is to make sure they get delivered in a cost effective manner. If we lose site of that goal, we become DHL. And nobody wants that.

Those numbers are what promotions are based on.

Those numbers are what job security is based on.

We need an IE department, and we need to have a plan in place to deliver the packages in a cost-effective manner.

Unfortunately, obedience to IE is often more important than common sense or logic. Its fine to have a plan; but sometimes that plan wont work and the management person out there in the real word where the work is getting done needs to be able to change the plan without having to wait weeks for the blessing of an IE person behind a desk in another time zone.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
In the beginning of peak when we first started having helpers I would only keep the helper for as long as my time card said (which, those times are WAY messed up anyways, my sheets lately have said things like 15.2 hours....). Now I just keep the helper as long as that person is willing to stay on the truck with me haha. I don't call and ask, I just do, and no one is complaining.There have been a few days this peak that I've had the most stops of all 95 drivers or however many we've had out there. If it takes me less than 12 hours they should just be glad for that haha.

Does anyone know if you go over 12 hours if you show up on a report somewhere? I know if you go over 9.5 you show up on a report they run every night, but what are the ramifications of 12? The other night it was about 5 minutes before I would be at 12 hours and was about to clock out, and I asked my supe what would happen if I went over 12 hours and he told me some people have lost their jobs for it! I reminded him of what time it was and that in the time it took me to punch out my helper board and do my turn in, it was possible I would go over 12, then he just kind of stood there and went... "OK". I punched out at 11 hours and 59 minutes, just to be safe.

10damon

Better get used to it if you get the chance to stay.Ive been here 6 years and still get more than my fair share of abuse. Just got to take it with a grain of salt and drink some skin toughener.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You aren't a real man till you have completed a 14 hour day...

I have hundreds of 14 hour days...2 in the last week.
That must be why some people think my name is Hulk.

My name is Hoke and I have been called
Hawk,
Huck,
Hog,
Hulk,
Hook (this week),
Hope,
Holt (my father-in-law called me this for 20 years)

and many other things I will not get into here.

sano

You aren't a real man till you have completed a 14 hour day...
Can I count driving time between preload and driver helper?
I had 6.5 on preload and 7 as helper.
I didn't feel like a "real man" i felt more like road kill.
Sure hope i don't have to repeat that one again.