Driver Release options

true_1_ace

"There was a joke in our center about the options DR-River, after one of our new drivers lost his job when several packages that were supposed to be on his truck were retrieved by the local utility Co. floating down near a dam in the river. Amazingly enough this individual was awarded his job back after about a month or two, that really seems to leave the door open for a past practice policy in the future.."

thats DITFR ( driverelease in the river ) lmao:w00t:

PS: not a good option!

helenofcalifornia

Sorry, I know I am going to hear flack, but I deliver on a rural route and both the customers and the post office, not to mention UPS, are cool with leaving packages small enough in mail boxes. I would be toting the same packages for days otherwise. And I didn't know you could add other delivery sites on your DIAD. Way cool!

surviv'n_it

In response to releasing in mailboxes, I have done it as well on some rural routes. Just as long as the mail carrier is ok with it, or make sure you do it after the mail is delivered. Otherwise, I was once told it is ok to place a small package in a weather bag and attach it to the mailbox. The supervisor who told me that has long since retired and I have never heard that from anyone else, so I am sure its not something they would approve of.

I think the best thing is to work out something with customers who have long and difficult driveways to release somewhere else.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In another thread I posted the USPS regulations in dealing with the issue, and it includes anything attached to the mail box as well.

Bottom line is that if the customer has a very difficult drive ( I have been places where the private drive to one house is 6 miles from the public road which no one hardly uses) then they need to put in a box for our use. Anything else is a violation of USPS and UPS regulations. Period.

And to try and tell a panel that your sup told you just wont fly, they never tell us to do things that are just not to be done. You ought to know that by now.

d

surviv'n_it

Well in regards to losing your job, there is no rhyme or reason. If they like you, they overlook a lot, if not, then your gone. I have seen drivers get into roll away accidents with no damage, and the center manager covered it up. The driver and manager are good friends so I have no doubt thats why. I have seen drivers caught signing for packages, driving 10 miles out of their delivery area to go home, and other similar things and recieve a slap on the hand. On the other hand, we had a driver who was late for 4 days in a row, from 5 to 10 minutes late, and was fired. I am sure he will get his job back, but the point is he didnt get along with most supervisors. One driver was caught entering overweights in his board, he put in 100 each day. Nothing happened other than a warning in a PCM about how thats stealing and not to do it.

Some things cant be overlooked but I have seen enough to know the center manager has the power to cover up and overlook quite a few things. I just know that I am going to do everything by the book, the best I can, but if I get fired, thats ok. I wouldnt even file the grievance to fight for my job. There are other jobs that pay close enough, at least in my area. I like the security and stability of UPS, but I am not going to stress about losing my job.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have seen roll aways with damage, in one case quite a bit and not just to our vehicle, and the driver was not fired. But I have also seen one crack a mirror and seven months later he was still suspended waiting on the chance for a hearing at the panel. He had to wait another month as his was not heard.

So what you say has a lot of truth to it. Justice is not blind at UPS, nor is forgiveness.

But 4 times in a row being late is a bit of a stretch. Esp if he did not call the center to let them know.

d

over9five

Staff member
"I wouldnt even file the grievance to fight for my job."

Nor would I. I would have no interest in working for people who fired me.

UPS doesn't want you to know this, but there are other jobs out there.

UPS will ask you where else a dumb truck driver like you can make this amount of money, but you can. Might take you a couple of years to get back up there.

You see, a UPS driver is a very motivated individual who can do an enormous amount of work with no direct supervision.

So don't believe the scare tactics.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
a UPS driver is a very motivated individual who can do an enormous amount of work with no direct supervision.

And in todays workforce, that type of individual is very rare. Self motivated, self starting, self disciplined. Very rare. Most people looking to find a job today want the pay but look at you like you are totally crazy when you actually expect them to actually work hard.

And I do agree, UPS wants you to think that they are the only option. And with the help of the union, they have been very successful at the propaganda. After all the union mantra is "its only because of us that you can make what you do"

I dont believe either one.

d