Drivers & School

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by UPyourS, Nov 1, 2015.

1. UPyourS

UPyourS Member

Is it possible to be a full time driver and attend school? I'm asking because first of all, all my classes can't be online some must be hands on & second of all I know that drivers don't have a set time to be off.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

While not impossible it would be extremely difficult to carry a full load while working full time.

3. UPyourS

UPyourS Member

Even if I only go to school part time? Like taking a couple of classes.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

Night classes?

5. Bastiatian

Bastiatian Active Member

While full time? Heck, it's hard enough to do while working part time. It would be really hard to take even one class while driving. :/

6. UPyourS

UPyourS Member

Actually that's probably the way to go. I'll have to check and see what's their latest classes. Thanks.

7. Bastiatian

Bastiatian Active Member

Maybe look for weekend classes, too? Probably not too likely. The weekend classes my school offers are completely useless as far as my major is concerned. Worth a look though.

8. MendozaJ

MendozaJ Active Member

If you're driving now, you should have an idea of how long your average work day is already and where it would conflict with the classes offered.

9. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

The best you could do is one class per quarter/ semester and hope the class time is 8 pm.

Studying, and assignment completion, will be a monumental challenge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I looked at going back to school with just night classes and maybe Saturday classes and couldn't make it happen.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

Night classes here start at 6 PM.

12. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

That would kill it for me.

13. UPyourS

UPyourS Member

I'm not driving now, but I will be driving soon. I'm only going to be an Air driver so I'm not going full time yet I just wanted to get an idea before I become full time.

14. HEFFERNAN

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

If you were a supervisor and you were taking classes, UPS will accommodate you in getting your degree.
    As a driver, it's tough to know if you can get out early enough to fit classes in your schedule and UPS has no interest in helping you either.

If you are planning to use your degree in a career field outside of UPS, going into management would be beneficial to you.

15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Are you going to have your own route and set hours or are you going to be on call all the time?

16. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

If your job makes it difficult to see your own family, school probably wouldn't go much better.

17. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

I was never accommodated because of a school schedule.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. HEFFERNAN

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

My FT driver sup has !
    He's able to leave early on nights he has classes.
    UPS management will always be accommodated if you are earning a degree.

Obviously, you can't take classes when you're suppose to be working.
    But leaving early or coming in late because of it, to my knowledge is acceptable.

19. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

My wife and I did a dance class 1 night a week. It was an 8p start and there were several nights that I met her at the class location and changed out of browns right before the class.

We have talked about doing it again, but both agreed that it sucked racing there to be on time and then not having supper till after class.

20. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

I wish it was that way. I had a class that met in the mornings, but the exams were at night because they were so long. They would make me 30-45 minutes late to the sort. I was told to drop the class or take a discretionary day. Thankfully I was able to work with the professor.