Question on Senority

KatieH

Hello all! I hope you guys can help me answer a question.
So I’ve been a cover driver for 4 years, and just this year after peak, been sent back to preload due to volume. It sucked but I accepted it.
Anyway, there are a group of 20 of us that got sent back, I’m number 3 on senority. When asked when I can finally be a full time driver, their response was, “We’d really love to keep you, but unfortunately we just don’t have the volume. Our uppers won’t let us because we are full of drivers right now and business is too low “.

So fast forward to today; and I see two brand new drivers. One is a transfer from another city, the other is loader that has been at ups but decided to become a driver.

So my question is, why are we taking transfers before promoting us covers; aren’t we supposed to be promoted first because we have building senority? Also why are they putting new drivers in school if volume is so low? Especially since we are supposedly full of drivers, and they already have drivers (us) they can use. Don’t we have building seniority over transfers? And for the one loader, don’t we have seniority over him because we’ve been driving?

We are in CA. Also to note: the two drivers ahead of me are really bad, and I have a suspicion that’s what is holding me back.

Thank you so much!

542thruNthru

Hello all! I hope you guys can help me answer a question.
So I’ve been a cover driver for 4 years, and just this year after peak, been sent back to preload due to volume. It sucked but I accepted it.
Anyway, there are a group of 20 of us that got sent back, I’m number 3 on senority. When asked when I can finally be a full time driver, their response was, “We’d really love to keep you, but unfortunately we just don’t have the volume. Our uppers won’t let us because we are full of drivers right now and business is too low “.

So fast forward to today; and I see two brand new drivers. One is a transfer from another city, the other is loader that has been at ups but decided to become a driver.

So my question is, why are we taking transfers before promoting us covers; aren’t we supposed to be promoted first because we have building senority? Also why are they putting new drivers in school if volume is so low? Especially since we are supposedly full of drivers, and they already have drivers (us) they can use. Don’t we have building seniority over transfers? And for the one loader, don’t we have seniority over him because we’ve been driving?

We are in CA. Also to note: the two drivers ahead of me .
NorCal or SoCal?

Brown Down

Not sure on the transfer but if the loader has building seniority he would get it over you. Your driving part time would have no bearing on that. It At least that was how it was when I went full time.

Brownwind

Not sure on the transfer but if the loader has building seniority he would get it over you. Your driving part time would have no bearing on that. It At least that was how it was when I went full time.
He sounds like the old TCD guys (temporary cover drivers were used out of classification for years during Covid) most thought it would go on forever and never questioned it.

Brown Down

He sounds like the old TCD guys (temporary cover drivers were used out of classification for years during Covid) most thought it would go on forever and never questioned it.
That's what I was thinking they're called different in every supplement to which does not help with questions like these.

KatieH

Hi all!! Sorry got caught up. Yes I’m a she! In SoCal. And no there is no bidding sheet for drivers. I have seen bid sheets for preload when there is extra work for twilight. But never for drivers. However there’s a Saturday sign up sheet which I sign every week, and usually I can work a Saturday. Yes I am part time. When I was hired for driving, my Cover position was never temporary. It was always explained to me that I would get to the 22.4 position after covering (when those positions were available). I have seen the other covers get promoted to 22.4 through the years. And this is the first time in 4 years I’m back in preload, I have been driving consistently ever since I started.

Of course, after the contract, all our 22.4s were promoted, and that position was eliminated. So it doesn’t help we have too many full time drivers now and so us covers got kicked back. i hope all answered all questions!
And thank you again.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Hi all!! Sorry got caught up. Yes I’m a she! In SoCal. And no there is no bidding sheet for drivers. I have seen bid sheets for preload when there is extra work for twilight. But never for drivers. However there’s a Saturday sign up sheet which I sign every week, and usually I can work a Saturday. Yes I am part time. When I was hired for driving, my Cover position was never temporary. It was always explained to me that I would get to the 22.4 position after covering (when those positions were available). I have seen the other covers get promoted to 22.4 through the years. And this is the first time in 4 years I’m back in preload, I have been driving consistently ever since I started.

Of course, after the contract, all our 22.4s were promoted, and that position was eliminated. So it doesn’t help we have too many full time drivers now and so us covers got kicked back. i hope all answered all questions!
And thank you again.
Have you talked to a steward yet?

If bid sheets weren’t put up for the other promotions, then there’s a colossal problem.

Even if they got put up and just never announced.

Everyone should have had a chance to sign the sheets.

As to the transfer, I don’t know. @BigUnionGuy may be able to give more answers.

Commercial Inside Release

Talk to your steward and\or BA about the building seniority violation, and file a grievance with their suggestions... Just know, the two ahead of you are going to make the center manager do something drastic, like lay all three of you off, when push comes to shove.

Last edited by a moderator:

KatieH

Have you talked to a steward yet?

If bid sheets weren’t put up for the other promotions, then there’s a colossal problem.

Even if they got put up and just never announced.

Everyone should have had a chance to sign the sheets.

As to the transfer, I don’t know. @BigUnionGuy may be able to give more answers.
I haven’t got a chance to talk to a steward since I work so much earlier than when the driver stewards come in, so I thought I’d go to you guys, since you guys are the experts. :)

I had no idea I am supposed to sign a bid sheet. That’s super intriguing though. We were just told management would let us know when they have openings so we can be promoted. Nobody has said anything to us about a bid sheet, not management or reps, and nothing is posted where the Saturday sign up sheets and route bids are. When I first signed up for a driver, I may have signed a sheet, but I don’t remember. I do remember I gave a signed piece of paper to HR. But now I’m wondering if the reason we aren’t promoted is the case for all of us, because none of us know of any sheet to sign. And now I’m thinking If not at the driver office, where would they be? I think I will talk to hr tomorrow.

Also to add we are the only center in our building with pt covers, all the other center’s drivers are only full time. Yaay us!

KatieH

Talk to your steward and\or BA about the building seniority violation, and file a grievance with their suggestions... Just know, the two ahead of you are going to make the center manager do something drastic, like lay all three of you off, when push comes to shove.

Really, you think so? How do you think that will happen?
If that is the case, luckily the other center managers wants me on their team, and worse comes to worse I’ll always have a spot in preload. Hopefully not the case!

Last edited by a moderator: