Question on Senority

What exactly is a "cover driver"?

We only have full time seniority drivers here. Temps are only allowed peak and summer vacation time, then they are tossed to the dumpster.
We have reg temps that work here throughout the year. They are considered part-time but they go through the same progression

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
EAC49B19-4BC7-4106-871C-E728FE4313CB.gif

What exactly is a "cover driver"?

We only have full time seniority drivers here. Temps are only allowed peak and summer vacation time, then they are tossed to the dumpster.
I literally answered this for you Saturday...

In the SW a utility driver is a FTer without a bid route, and a cover driver is a PTer who's qualified and is pulled up to cover vacations, peak, prime week, etc.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I literally answered this for you Saturday...
Seems every local has their own lingo. What is correct in your area may not be in the OP's. She was in the west as I recall.

Don't know why any local would allow part time to do a full time job? We do not do that. That just opens the door to problems, especially with union members moving up.

@MyTripisCut
You have part timers driving package car in your local?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Seems every local has their own lingo. What is correct in your area may not be in the OP's.

Don't know why any local would allow part time to do a full time job? We do not do that. That just opens the door to problems, especially with union members moving up.
It’s a ft position and regular bid at my local.

Seems every local has their own lingo. What is correct in your area may not be in the OP's. She was in the west as I recall.

@MyTripisCut
You have part timers driving package car in your local?
They're paid driver wages and get FT pension contributions when they drive. It's a way to keep the company using minimal seasonals/contractors, and they can't just give a FT driver the day off and use a PTer. There's specific guidelines they have to follow, and for every x amount of cover driver reports they are required to open a new FT driving position. We only have 2 in a 33-driver center.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They're paid driver wages and get FT pension contributions when they drive. It's a way to keep the company using minimal seasonals/contractors, and they can't just give a FT driver the day off and use a PTer. There's specific guidelines they have to follow, and for every x amount of cover driver reports they are required to open a new FT driving position. We only have 2 in a 33-driver center.
In my local, full time and part time do not mix.