Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Kis124, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Kis124

Kis124 Member

I thought union dues came out of the second paycheck of the month. Why are they taken out this week, especially right before a long weekend?

Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Call your local. We pay our 25% of our dues every week (4 weeks/month)
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Dues are normally taken out of the first full week of the month .

Resident know-it-all.
  4. Satuirus2000

Satuirus2000 Member

Check your local. There is no universal time frame when dues come out across UPS, as seen by this very thread. In my local it usually comes out of the 3rd check of the month.
  5. greengrenades

greengrenades To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

I pay every week. Not sure why. I don't mind though, I like it better that way.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

Are you still paying your initiation fee?

Resident know-it-all.
  7. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Don't worry. Next month they will increase dues for our next raise. It's a catch up increase. That's what they tell us anyway
  8. Inthegame

Inthegame Well-Known Member

Your dues will not increase next month. An August 1 wage increase will require locals to raise dues Oct 1, as per the The IBT Constitution.
    The IBT did not allow locals to retro dues to last October even after retro pay was distributed.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Chemo

Chemo Member

It varies by your Local. We voted last year to have them taken out weekly, so it's steadier instead of a "bigger hit" once a month.
    Also, back when it was once a month, I had a couple of injuries where I missed work and filled out a withdrawal card. When I came back, it threw me off sequence compared to everyone else, for whatever reason.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

When our BA made this announcement he made it sound like our local had decided this on their own.

I did the math and it worked out to about $3.
  11. Inthegame

The locals had no choice. In locals that use the 2.5 multiplier, the .70 raise would have increased dues by about $2 in most cases. New part timers would’ve gone from $17 to $20 so that would’ve been + $3. So anywhere from $16 to $24 per member (8months X $2 or $3) the IBT graciously kept the locals from collecting.
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

Ours uses the 3 x multiplier.

The point I was trying to make is that our BA made it sound like it was his decision and that the local was taking care of the members.
  13. Inthegame

Roger...Oh well, now you know better...over and out. Happy 4th
  14. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

I'm confused, are you using a 2x multiplier in your post?
    Furthermore, re new PT, isn't there a provision for members <$11/hr to be assessed @ $22/mo?
  15. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Now you know what being married is like.
  16. Kis124

Kis124 Member

Sent using BrownCafe App