Enough is enough

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That clause has been in at least the past 2 contracts. Not a penny has been "siphoned" off any year.
In the past contracts in the Central Region where I work, it would have been the company "siphoning" the raises which would have been easily rebuked or struck if attempted.
What counter-measures or recourse will we have when the union decides to take such an action?

Last edited:

upschuck

In the Central Region where I work, it would be the company "siphoning" the raises which would have been easily rebuked or struck if attempted.
What counter-measures will we have when the union decides to take such an action?
Unfortunately, there won't be much we can do, but complain about it here.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Sorry you think I am a dick..must be cause your in the union.

Anyway..a plan to work at a company for 4 years as PT for an opportunity to go full time is a bad plan, period.
If you had nothing else in your life and you got lucky to get the job then I could see it.

C'mon Dear Leader... Surely you know how to conjugate "you" and "are".

Sent using a Potato

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And there in lies the problem.
What was a system of checks and balances, now requires a leap of faith for us who were in the company plan.
It's hard to have that faith in light of the annual deductibles built into the last year of the contract.
We fear it is just the tip of the iceberg.
Those who were already in Teamcare were duped, as they realized temporary gains to be preceded by a slow bleed.
I never wanted more than them, rather for them to have what I had.
Now it's gone for ever.
What a shame.

Last edited:

Atomic_Smurf

BulShip, UPS should be on the hook for that cost, not the front line employee.

This is the result of the steaming pile of healthcare law that was dropped in the middle of the negotiation table for both sides to contend with. (At our unions invite I might add) If this anti-worker law had come from the other side of the isle we'd be mobilizing to change it. So why not now?

Irishman Collins

There's more to it than you know. That's all I'll say.
What? I am sorry, but somehow you have the inside track on what really happened in negotiations to lead us to concessions? I beg of you, please enlighten me (us) on this information. Honestly, whether you believe this or not I would much rather be on your side of the fence because on my side there is disbelief, shock and anger over all this. If you have some inside information that could help us all understand and give us a reasonable explanation to this most serious issue. Then I am all ears and will be willing to jump back on the wagon if any of it makes reasonable sense.

Ron Carey lives on

I guess brown cafe isn't the place to try to build some unity. Hope Everyone had a great labor day, and thanked old union members who faught for the rights we enjoy today

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

We never had the right to strike. We all know that Bro

Sent using BrownCafe App
Some didn't get the right to vote. But some, having the right to vote didn't.

If the NMA would have been voted down at least two times we may have gotten rid of the four yr progression and got stronger harassment language.

The insurance? Well, that's probably a different story.

Ron Carey lives on

The national barely passed. Even if it didn't, WE NEVER HAD THE RIGHT TO STRIKE( SUPPLEMENTS, NATIONAL, RIDERS) The proper paper was not filed by the GEB. Thats what Bojangles is sitting on. Do the research, it is fact

Sent using BrownCafe App

959Nanook

That clause has been in at least the past 2 contracts. Not a penny has been "siphoned" off any year.

Perhaps not for those who were in the Company plan. Hours-based Health and Welfare Trusts are another animal and guess who just went from Company plan to Health and Welfare trusts? You SHOULD expect general wage increases to be diverted during the life of the Contract if the cost of health care raises.

Before the conversion to dollars-based health coverage, we voted on diverting raises to the Health & Welfare Trust. If we voted it down, the vote was overridden by the Trustees. Now that we are dollars-based, there is no need to vote as it is squarely in the hands of the Trustees (we have given up liberty for security without the freedom to self-determine). NO ONE has been able to explain me how the new participants in TeamCare are supposed to hold the Trustees accountable if they are not in the Central States jurisdiction.

upschuck

Perhaps not for those who were in the Company plan. Hours-based Health and Welfare Trusts are another animal and guess who just went from Company plan to Health and Welfare trusts? You SHOULD expect general wage increases to be diverted during the life of the Contract if the cost of health care raises.

Before the conversion to dollars-based health coverage, we voted on diverting raises to the Health & Welfare Trust. If we voted it down, the vote was overridden by the Trustees. Now that we are dollars-based, there is no need to vote as it is squarely in the hands of the Trustees (we have given up liberty for security without the freedom to self-determine). NO ONE has been able to explain me how the new participants in TeamCare are supposed to hold the Trustees accountable if they are not in the Central States jurisdiction.
Ok, Mr Fear Mongerer, I will expect my raise to go to my healthcare, and be pleasantly surprised when my check gets bigger next August.

959Nanook

Ok, Mr Fear Mongerer, I will expect my raise to go to my healthcare, and be pleasantly surprised when my check gets bigger next August.

No fear... just facts on what has already happened. I set the condition under which to expect a diversion based on prior experiences of myself and others around the country. There are no guarantees either way. You are free to ignore why and how past diversions have occurred. If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. I have no dog in the fight (other than voting on other Teamster's health coverage with the NMA and twice with Western Region) because I am in a sustainable Health and Welfare Trust (more expensive to operate than most but more sustainable than most).

BTW, I voted to divert wage increase to the Health and Welfare Trust in my Local. It was defeated roughly 3-2. I suppose I should have been happy to have the vote overturned by the Trustees; however, I see little point in votes that have a predetermined outcome.

upschuck

No fear... just facts on what has already happened. I set the condition under which to expect a diversion based on prior experiences of myself and others around the country. There are no guarantees either way. You are free to ignore why and how past diversions have occurred. If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. I have no dog in the fight (other than voting on other Teamster's health coverage with the NMA and twice with Western Region) because I am in a sustainable Health and Welfare Trust (more expensive to operate than most but more sustainable than most).

BTW, I voted to divert wage increase to the Health and Welfare Trust in my Local. It was defeated roughly 3-2. I suppose I should have been happy to have the vote overturned by the Trustees; however, I see little point in votes that have a predetermined outcome.
What has already happened is that no raise has been diverted to pay for Teamcare since this provision has been in contact. Teamcare is healthy.

959Nanook

What has already happened is that no raise has been diverted to pay for Teamcare since this provision has been in contact. Teamcare is healthy.
Could you possibly set a lower bar? Seriously... the provision has not been in effect for a year yet.

Healthy you say? Well, I guess that covers it since you say it is healthy. Nothing to look at here...

upschuck

Could you possibly set a lower bar? Seriously... the provision has not been in effect for a year yet.

Healthy you say? Well, I guess that covers it since you say it is healthy. Nothing to look at here...
It HAS been in effect for at least the last two contracts. No raise diverted. If you can't accept that, then there is no use arguing about it to you. Good day.

Atomic_Smurf

It HAS been in effect for at least the last two contracts. No raise diverted. If you can't accept that, then there is no use arguing about it to you. Good day.
Whether it was in past contracts or not doesn't matter, the ACA was not an issue then. Prices are going to continue to rise in the years ahead. The law is designed to end employer coverage over time.