Estar

Mutineer

UPS hires anyone who applies for part time handler positions which can then move into a driving position by way of seniority. Time is the only obstacle in obtaining a driving position at UPS, not prior job experience.

Fair enough. I was a bit venomous. No pun intended.

Have you considered applying at UPS, or abandoning the occupation altogether?

Serf

Another part timer told me yesterday that my mgr told him the 401(k) plan is going to change. When I see him tomorrow I’ll inquire.
I’d be interested in knowing too. Aside from the already new changes that new hires aren’t eligible for a PPA. And not that long ago employed could opt for a higher % match and freeze their PPA. Or keep both the same as is.

MassWineGuy

Honestly, I've only been with the company a few years and apparently I'm at one of the "better stations" in my area

I can safely say this is one of, if not worst managed companies I've had the curse to work for.

I doubt they are capable of doing anything correctly and they seem like they are still stuck in the 80's.

I've started looking for another job, I feel bad for the guys who are 45-55 and are going to be around for the crash and burn.

I work at a similarly “good” station. My ideal plan is to stick it out another couple of years. But I’ll be ok if I leave sooner, re: retirement funds, Social Security, etc. The money FedEx wastes could fund many small countries.

zeev

UPS in my area bring drivers off the street but the bar is to high for Express couriers, my UPS guy walked a quarter mile up a steep slick driveway in the winter, I told him he didn’t have to do that but he said it was no problem. Extreme warriors here, Express would never do that.

MAKAVELI

UPS in my area bring drivers off the street but the bar is to high for Express couriers, my UPS guy walked a quarter mile up a steep slick driveway in the winter, I told him he didn’t have to do that but he said it was no problem. Extreme warriors here, Express would never do that.
Express wouldn't do that for Express pay. For UPS pay you'd have more service oriented drivers.

AB831

I take 90 minute lunches if, the work isn't there. Guys know when they're stealing from the company and the couriers who have eyes see it as well.
It’s not stealing from the company if they’re requiring you to be there. You can’t refuse to pay someone because it’s a slow day if they’re on the clock…unless of course, you willingly donate part of your paycheck back to the company.

SmithBarney

Everyone seems to think our station is untouchable because we are big

Is the time-line jun1 24 or is that when they will start collapsing everything?
June 1, I know of 3 small stations that collapsed/closed, LGUA(<20 employees), Prescott AZ(30-40 employees I think) and one in Tenn(forgot which, small station <20)

Sept 4, JANA station in MS(73 layed off)

MassWineGuy

It’s not stealing from the company if they’re requiring you to be there. You can’t refuse to pay someone because it’s a slow day if they’re on the clock…unless of course, you willingly donate part of your paycheck back to the company.

There have been times that I was too early for any pickups. Sometimes I can get a couple from another route to fill in. Often not. I go eat lunch. Two managers told me I’m not required to take a break when this happens.

whenIgetthere

There have been times that I was too early for any pickups. Sometimes I can get a couple from another route to fill in. Often not. I go eat lunch. Two managers told me I’m not required to take a break when this happens.
I would ask for sweeps for two of my drop boxes that would have more than 50 packages many nights, many hand written air bills. Best part was when I closed the last one out right on time, and people would be trying to flag me down before I got to the interstate, station was thirty miles away.

Guitarman01

So the problem is that they are evaluating this on a station-by-station basis and not just making immediate, arbitrary decisions?
The problem would be do I roll the dice for 5 years not knowing.That would be pretty silly on my part if it ends up coming to an end.

AB831

So the problem is that they are evaluating this on a station-by-station basis and not just making immediate, arbitrary decisions?
The problem is that the company is run by complete morons who have a 100% failure rate over the past decade, and people are concerned about their livelihoods.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The problem is that the company is run by complete morons who have a 100% failure rate over the past decade, and people are concerned about their livelihoods.
And to think they're got those brainiacs like you and they never consult you guys.