Ever run out of gas on area running route?

sendagain

I had my normal truck pulled for maintenance, and the vehicle they put in my space had a gas gauge exactly opposite of what it normally is; the E was where the friend should have been, and I never noticed it. Since they didn't bother to fuel the vehicle, I ran out of gas on route. I developed a rule which I always abode by: never park your truck on empty.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Yes the pretrip includes checking the dipstick and so does the post trip. I now see the issue, you have not been trained on proper pre and post trips. I never said I was perfect but you act like you have no role in this. You do, it is your responsibility to check the oil daily. I stand by my statement, a proper pretrip would have caught this and you would definately be disciplined in my building.

I am only saying all this to help you in the future, you should definately be checking the dipstick as well as the water level, everyday!!

There's time allowance for checking the oil and water daily. In locations where drivers check it, the allowance is included in the planned day. In areas where the car wash or fuelers or parkers check it, the allowance is part of their plan. I think its less than a minute per vehicle for package cars.

rod

Retired 22 years
There's time allowance for checking the oil and water daily. In locations where drivers check it, the allowance is included in the planned day. In areas where the car wash or fuelers or parkers check it, the allowance is part of their plan. I think its less than a minute per vehicle for package cars.

Ah ha----I knew there was a good reason I was always over allowed. It was a good 2 minute walk to the oil barrel (more if I had to climb the package mountain at the end of the sort table) then 2 minutes back to the truck--a minute to dump the oil in then 4 more minutes to retun the container. Then 3 or 4 more minutes to complete my pre trip. Hell - I was running 15 - 20 minutes late before I even left the building.:happy2: P.S.---It seems that for years any truck I drove needed 2 quarts of oil a day.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Never been told to check it. In my building the Oil and water is checked at night by the local sort.

We have a i believe 32 point check list, my be a 36 point. We check the lights horn gas tires and so much more.

Maybe your building is different in that you still check the oil yourself if so ok.

But fyi in my building we do not and are not trained to look for anything under the hood. I just assumed how we a trained to do pre-trips is how it is done company wide.

over9five

Staff member
Never been told to check it. In my building the Oil and water is checked at night by the local sort.

We have a i believe 32 point check list, my be a 36 point. We check the lights horn gas tires and so much more.

Maybe your building is different in that you still check the oil yourself if so ok.

But fyi in my building we do not and are not trained to look for anything under the hood. I just assumed how we a trained to do pre-trips is how it is done company wide.

LOL, nothing at UPS is done company wide!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
LOL, nothing at UPS is done company wide!!!!

This should be the lesson everyone who comes on here and asks for advice should understand. You could even take this a step further and say that not all employees in the same center work under the same rules. Management favorites can always get away with more.

Theichii

Ran out of gas during peak season at the 13 hour marker of my day. Sent me on a 200+ mile rural route in a 800. Called the center for a CC number since that car didn't have one around the 7th hour and ran out of gas completely around the 13th. Needless to say they shortened the route by 30 miles and put me in a 700 the next day.

some1else

Banned
Ya the 800 wouldnt make it much over 200miles even if filled to the tippy top. Same with 500s just glad there arent many of them left!