Express: truck repair issue

It will be fine

So then please tell me why we had a dm tell us to mark everything on your VIR, whether it be a flat tire or a radio not working.
How should I know? If you mark it and the mechanic says it's safe to roll and you keep marking it daily you're just being a nuisance. You'd be better off bringing the mechanic some brownies and asking him to help you out.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
How should I know? If you mark it and the mechanic says it's safe to roll and you keep marking it daily you're just being a nuisance. You'd be better off bringing the mechanic some brownies and asking him to help you out.

Mechanics at my station always look out for me. I kill them with kindness and I DO bake for them. :)

Rhoderunner

I've done A/C refills before on personal vehicles. I considered doing it on my truck, save for two things:
1: I believe express has a policy explicitly forbidding anyone who is not part of vehicle maintenance messing with our trucks, since they are FedEx property
2: FedEx would never reimburse me
Heard of a few guys who have done the recharge on their lunch break but skip the reimbursement. Never did ask them if it worked. :confused:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I tried to take care of small dvir stuff during the am, pm, or during the workday. I would never write up stuff I could handle myself. If I did write something up, I was concerned enough to try and get the mechanic to look at it. If they ignored it, then I would write it up everyday, noting beside the write up----3rd attempt, 4th attempt, etc. Somebody usually hit it by the 2nd or 3rd day.

Bounty

Doesn't matter. If it is on the VIR it must be looked at regardless of whether the mechanic has better things to do or not. For all the op knows, it could be a short in the wiring somewhere that could pose a fire risk. Any defect on a vehicle must be noted.
Bbsam is a ground guy, he does not care about safety or his employees comfort.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey there express vets. I've got a newish Mercedes sprinter. A/C has been dead for months. Mechanic keeps refusing to fix it, claiming he doesn't have time. Management can't or won't make him budge on it. Do I have any recourse? Who can I push this up to for action to be taken? The ventilation in the sprinter is awful, and the broken a/c is a genuine safety concern, in addition to a quality of life problem.

Bring a thermometer and measure the actual temperature in the cab. If it is excessive, you are being placed in a hazardous working environment. Way back when, a lot of our CTV tractors were Ford 9000's, which were notorious for having the AC fail, and then pumping copious amounts of hot air into the cab. Having the engine there in your lap didn't help, and the ventilation was useless. We were forbidden to shut-off the heater valves, but often did so anyway. FedEx wouldn't fix them, because it "didn't affect the performance of the vehicle or vehicle safety".

So, we started recording temperatures, which hit 120 degrees. One guy said he had heatstroke, and parked his CTV, which missed the plane. This got their attention.

Push it as a safety concern, but back it up with real data.

BigTex61

I had this issue about a year ago. If the ac doesn't work than the defroster probably doesn't work either. After the first rain, the windshield kept fogging up really bad, had to stop about 10 times and clean the inside of the windshield. So I wrote up that the defroster didn't work creating a visibility hazard. It was fixed the next day. BooooYaaaa!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
To the rest of you, I can't say I'm surprised. Lurking on here for so long has shown that most of this 'community' is a group of jackasses, and you certainly lived up to expectations. Well done on reinforcing that impression!
Then why do you even bother to join here if you look down on us? Feel free to leave and enjoy your long hot summer in the Sprinter.