Fair Days Work For Fair Days Pay payout?

PT Car Washer

I get it. We have this problem at my center as well. Drivers show up and are working for free. They send preloaders home because "why pay someone to do the job when someone else is doing it for free." Makes their numbers look good. The guy making $35 is screwing the guy that makes $13 out of his money.
Drivers working off the clock can be stopped real easily. In my building drivers are threatened with progressive discipline up to termination for working before their start time.

UPS4Life

I would call but the union at my hub is so weak and no one does anything
You say they're weak but here's my question for you, does the union even know this is going on? They can't read minds and if nobody says anything to them they don't know there's an issue. I'm tired of hearing people down talk the union for not doing anything because I ask them two questions: do you go to the union meetings? And did you tell a steward or the ba. If both answers are no then it's all on you not the union. Just remember one thing, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You should be allowed to complete your "scheduled" work.

Are the drivers working before their (posted) scheduled start time ?

And, are these drivers "qualified".... in 2 different job classifications ?

-Bug-

It sounds to me that they are starting the sort too late, or have late trailers, so that the pre-loaders don't get the package cars wrapped up before the drivers start.

They are then sending the pre-loaders home and having the drivers wrap up their own cars.

As long as he is getting his 3.5 hour guarantee, and the drivers are starting at their normal start time, he will not win a grievance to remain on the clock and wrap up the cars while the drivers are being paid to do the same thing.

His job is to load the trucks until the sort is done, or until the drivers start, nothing about being afforded the opportunity to completely wrap up the cars.

Now, he may be able to get the local involved and start the sort earlier in order for them to get everything wrapped up before the drivers start, but I doubt it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
His job is to load the trucks until the sort is done, or until the drivers start, nothing about being afforded the opportunity to completely wrap up the cars.

The OP is afforded the opportunity, to complete his work assignment.

Kicking him off the clock (at his guarantee) and then.... trying to say the "drivers"

will finish the the work.... is BS.

At that point, the drivers are working out of their classification.

It's an easy win.

Unless, you have a bunch of wussy, spineless, gutless Drivers....

That need to get home to "mama". :biggrin:

It seems to be running rampant these days.

-Bug-

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Kicking him off the clock (at his guarantee) and then.... trying to say the "drivers"

At that point, the drivers are working out of their classification.

It's an easy win.

That need to get home to "mama". :biggrin:

-Bug-

Are you saying that as a driver, if you are there at your scheduled start time , and are instructed to load your truck you don't work as directed to and just sit there so that the preloader can finish loading the car?

BrownTexas

Drivers working off the clock can be stopped real easily. In my building drivers are threatened with progressive discipline up to termination for working before their start time.
They are helping management out. So management doesn't care. I've filed grievances to get them paid for it. And they bold faced lied and said they weren't working. So my grievance was thrown in the trash.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Are you saying that as a driver, if you are there at your scheduled start time , and are instructed to load your truck you don't work as directed to and just sit there so that the preloader can finish loading the car?
There is zero chance if grieved that would get heard here. The BA would say it's their operation we can't tell them how to run it. If they want to pay a driver $35 an hour to load their truck that's their choice.

PT Car Washer

They are helping management out. So management doesn't care. I've filed grievances to get them paid for it. And they bold faced lied and said they weren't working. So my grievance was thrown in the trash.
Does not matter if management likes it or not. UPS is in violation of Federal labor laws by allowing employees to work with out being compensated.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I agree. Start the sort earlier, or the drivers later. But that ain't gonna happen. The drivers can get their cars wrapped up and leave the building much quicker than the pre-loader can get his set of 4 or 6 cars done.

It's an easy win.

For the Company, yes it is.

Have you ever heard the terms gross insubordination, failure to follow instructions, dishonesty, stealing time?

A driver, on the clock, refusing to work while the pre-loader wraps up his cars, is not a wussy, spineless, gutless driver. He is working as instructed and keeping his job to provide for him and his family.

If these drivers listened to you, stood there and did nothing, while the pre-loader finished his work, as you put it, they would be walked out the door and terminated. Great advice from a union rep.

Drivers wanting to keep their jobs is running rampant these days? Yes it is.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I didn't even suggest that.

But, not being a "qualified" pre-loader....

You would be afforded the opportunity to ask for a demonstration of the methods.

:biggrin:

There is zero chance if grieved that would get heard here. The BA would say it's their operation we can't tell them how to run it. If they want to pay a driver $35 an hour to load their truck that's their choice.

It depends on how you file the grievance.

Have you ever heard the terms gross insubordination, failure to follow instructions, dishonesty, stealing time?

A driver, on the clock, refusing to work while the pre-loader wraps up his cars, is not a wussy, spineless, gutless driver. He is working as instructed and keeping his job to provide for him and his family.

Mug;

You're reading way too much into what I posted.

If the company is forcing it, grieve it.

(unless, you are one of the aforementioned drivers)

Hate to tell you....

It doesn't happen in my Local.

Reason being, because of a case the company won years ago.

Based on the premise, an employee has a right to complete their work assignment.

(one of those cases where, "be careful of what you wish for")

Granted, there are exceptions.

For example.... Late Air.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mug;

Hate to tell you....

Based on the premise, an employee has a right to complete their work assignment.

-Bug-

I probably was reading more into it than there was. Far better explanation.

You wouldn't happen to have that case number, would you?

I'd be interested in reading it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't even suggest that.

But, not being a "qualified" pre-loader....

You would be afforded the opportunity to ask for a demonstration of the methods.

:biggrin:

It depends on how you file the grievance.

Mug;

Hate to tell you....

-Bug-

It's quite simple. If it is driver start time and the preload is not wrapped we get on the belt and help them wrap.

The rest of your drivel clearly illustrates why unions have a bad name.

22.34life

You say they're weak but here's my question for you, does the union even know this is going on? They can't read minds and if nobody says anything to them they don't know there's an issue. I'm tired of hearing people down talk the union for not doing anything because I ask them two questions: do you go to the union meetings? And did you tell a steward or the ba. If both answers are no then it's all on you not the union. Just remember one thing, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
While I agree that the local must know something is going on in order to stop it but all this "go to the meeting" crap is not the answer to everything.in my experience the meetings are more about the numbers in the local and that means all the locals company's not just ups.