vantexan

One time my station literally lost a package.

A courier took the letter out of his bucket and sent it down the belt to B courier. Somewhere I between the package went missing, only scan on the package was a sip no van and no POD, how do you think the customer felt about that?
I've seen that happen too. But definitely not the norm.

vantexan

I understand all that, but they shouldn't be preaching to us about Customer Service Integrity on the front line when some stations are having late freight EVERY DAY. That starts at the top. These stupid motivational slogans they come up with are just so it appears they care. Obviously, FedEx is having serious manpower issues and they can't get the planes out on time. No way anyone can convince me that daily late freight is mechanical or weather related. Only occasionally.

BTW, I've been very fortunate with managers through the years. Only one or two jerks. My manager now is the best yet!
But like I said there are many variables as to why the freight is late. Weather and breakdowns are two major ones. My last station got freight from a ramp 90 miles away. The ramp had a brand new mgr and had a bunch of handlers quit. The local station started sending handlers over to help out until they got straightened out. And we were getting late freight because of it. The customers might not like it but there's never going to be a smooth running operation every day where everyone gets to clock in on time, no one is sick, no one is blown out, there's never late freight. It's the nature of the business. And all upper management can do with couriers is spout slogans because they're scared to death that too many will walk, especially at Peak. But they're probably reaming seniors and ops mgrs behind the scenes.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When that happens the company has no one to blame either. Even if a courier says yeah I sent that down the belt, if no one canned it technically that courier can't be held responsible for anything
Unless they want you gone. Then they can fire you for "failure to maintain security of package". Happened at my station to a guy.

vantexan

When that happens the company has no one to blame either. Even if a courier says yeah I sent that down the belt, if no one canned it technically that courier can't be held responsible for anything
It's similar to having a released pkg turn up missing and the mgr gets overzealous questioning the courier about it. Never mind that the courier had a thousand successfully released pkgs that month with no issues. When anything goes wrong many mgrs immediately assume it's a courier issue. Often it is, but not always.

Purplepackage

It's similar to having a released pkg turn up missing and the mgr gets overzealous questioning the courier about it. Never mind that the courier had a thousand successfully released pkgs that month with no issues. When anything goes wrong many mgrs immediately assume it's a courier issue. Often it is, but not always.

Certain routes I would cover always seemed to have "packages go missing"

Purplepackage

We do. Our district security guy gets his jollies from watching our footage. Guess he can't get his kicks anymore as a state cop, extorting sexual favors from women anymore.

Our security guy enjoys making himself look like an idiot. He would show up once every 6 months to tell us to keep our windows shut at all times in 100 degree weather/ tell us that the air vents on the side of a 700 needed to be closed for security purposes.

And of course the occasional employee interrogation

Oldfart

A courier took the letter out of his bucket and sent it down the belt to B courier. Somewhere I between the package went missing, only scan on the package was a sip no van and no POD, how do you think the customer felt about that?
Only once lost a package? Have seen meter labels curl up and make a letter stick to the underside of another package. Have seen packages slide inside another poorly taped box. Packages slide into conveyor motors. Customers sometimes use a SMALL envelope and slip a meter label on it and it just gets lost. They think they are saving money by using too small an envelope. A station handles thousands of packages every day, things happen. It sucks because that package is important to somebody.

HuckToohey

You are entering a world of pain.
I have NEVER missed a family function, recital, time with my wife and kids because of work. Sure, PEAK is PEAK. We (my family) allow for the 3-4 days I come home later. But, even then I'm home for dinner. I'm able to take my youngest to volleyball practice and, when she was swimming, the oldest to swim practice and her meets.

UPS hours are not even close to being the same as ours. I see the driver by my house delivering at 6:00, 7:00 and, sometimes even 8:00 at night. FedEx equivalent to UPS hours would be like doing a double everyday with a later start time. Ask UpstateNYUPSer what his hours are. Sure, the pay and benefits are better. But, it can't replace the time missed at home or with the kids.

P.S. My kids are now 16 + 18. So, if I had the opportunity, I might switch to UPS. But, I could NOT afford to start as a handler/loader for 2, 3, 10, whatever amount of years it takes to get a driver position.
You've been very fortunate. 3-4 days you come home late? During PEAK!? Try 6 weeks of PEAK, two years ago. And PEAK this year? It hasn't stopped yet! You must work in a very squared away station/district where the jet is never late and your staffed appropriately. That has only been the case once, when I worked at metro station in a big market. Where I am now, the jet is late from October through March almost daily. And I've worked where I've been out in the winter time until 9pm. You best never leave that station Bro!

!Retired!

We've had that happen more than once. Only once though, the package was so important (paychecks, I think) they went to look at the camera footage and it showed it made to the end by the CSA. I think they sent it out with a mid-day route. I used to have a medical bulk stop. A package was SIPPED for them. I had no VAN or POD on it. My, then, manager wanted me to sign an OLCC for the missing package. I told him, if I didn't have a VAN OR POD, how can he say it was ever on my truck? **Blank stare**...end of conversation.
I've had exactly 4 traces in 17 years of 'Where is the package you released?'. If it's not in plain view for the recipient but not from the street, I put comments in. 3 of the 4 times the package was right where the comments said. Don't the CSA's read the comments?
You've been very fortunate. 3-4 days you come home late? During PEAK!? Try 6 weeks of PEAK, two years ago. And PEAK this year? It hasn't stopped yet! You must work in a very squared away station/district where the jet is never late and your staffed appropriately. That has only been the case once, when I worked at metro station in a big market. Where I am now, the jet is late from October through March almost daily. And I've worked where I've been out in the winter time until 9pm. You best never leave that station Bro!
I didn't say we didn't have late freight. There were many times we didn't leave the building until 10:30-11:00 with double my normal stop count. Yes, my station now is very well run. When it's predicted heavy volume, we start early, if we can, they ask PM'ers to come in early (most are eager for the hours), add to that the temps and runners (very few of those), 20+ rental trucks, etc we do OK. We have days where our station volume is literally double and still somehow manage. Rolling freight IS an option, but it's a last resort....not a safety net. I don't plan on leaving, but my SM is planning to retire soon (5-7 years) and my manager has his eyes on his position. The 2 other stations within reasonable driving distance are not well run, so it's either move to another state or stay and pray nothing changes.

!Retired!

I had an interesting discussion with a newer manager at my station yesterday. (Hopefully he doesn't see this and I get fired. Lol). Our freight came in late...once again. He said, FO would go out with everything else. I told him that once again we are failing our customers and it's sad. He responds with (I :censored2: you not) Of course we are going to practice Customer Service Integrity by making sure businesses are delivered first as well as bulks. Wut??? How is it practicing Integrity by delivering resis late? I remember when it was imperative that EVERYTHING was delivered on time. He said, Do you think Jane Doe knows whether her Amazon box is delivered on time while she's at work? My response, Integrity is doing the right thing whether anyone is there to see it or not. Don't even talk to me about CSI when we're not practicing it. He actually sounded like he was reading from a script. Lol.
I have come to terms that if the company doesn't care, or at least appears not to care.....why should I? I'll just do what I'm told to do. The only saving grace is my P1 is USUALLY not in the same area as my P2, so I have to run 2 cycles, no matter how late we leave.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have come to terms that if the company doesn't care, or at least appears not to care.....why should I? I'll just do what I'm told to do. The only saving grace is my P1 is USUALLY not in the same area as my P2, so I have to run 2 cycles, no matter how late we leave.
I try to keep that mentality also, but sometimes the old me steps in and I can't keep my mouth shut. Lol. I'm fortunate that I can run P2 with my P1 as long as I don't have P1 lates. If not, I'd be out there all night.

dezguy

I try to keep that mentality also, but sometimes the old me steps in and I can't keep my mouth shut. Lol. I'm fortunate that I can run P2 with my P1 as long as I don't have P1 lates. If not, I'd be out there all night.
It's hard to break old habits. When we are forced out over dispatched, I have to constantly remind myself to not move quicker than I normally do.

Those who do are just rewarded with increased stop counts.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
If it's not in plain view for the recipient but not from the street, I put comments in. 3 of the 4 times the package was right where the comments said. Don't the CSA's read the comments?

I guess not... My last drivers follow up already had my comments in the Fast track tracing request:

IMG_20170116_094834.jpg

I'm gonna start messing with them and gonna use more "other" DR comments besides the typical FD release