Fallout from the new contract?

Arizax2

It comes down to marketable skills. Management people who have those in-demand skills aren't scared.
Which is why it's important for folks to use the benfits that UPS offers with edcor and get a free degree. Nothing thing is garenteed. Especially with automation which is ramping up. Less workers means less management folks.

anonymous23456

Which is why it's important for folks to use the benfits that UPS offers with edcor and get a free degree. Nothing thing is garenteed. Especially with automation which is ramping up. Less workers means less management folks.
UPS tuition reimbursement is a joke! Management people need to spend their own money investing in themselves.

anonymous23456

Management folks who design the automation and fix the automation always have a job until the robots can fix themselves.

dudebro

If people remember what happened after the "97" strike, that was the first round of management buyouts

or forced retirement. If the company makes us walk.... it's going to be a blood bath.

Mark my words.
The first round of management buyouts was actually 1995. After the 1997 work stoppage, we went straight into the dot.com boom and hired management like crazy, because we hadn't focused on production through the "quality / win-win" era of the mid 90s and the company wanted to get back to production focus.

That said, I hope there's an agreement between UPS and the Teamsters by the end of the month because I don't think there's an economic boom waiting on the other side of 2023.

dudebro

One of the saddest things I've seen were management people that didn't give up.

They bought into the dream and were rewarded with threats and intimidation the rest of their career.

Literally.... had a few of them talk with me in confidence on their options and my advice.
You have a great point here - the mgmt people who put everything they have into the job and don't diversify their skills become 100% dependent on the company and very slowly wind up in a bad position.

You don't ever want all of your eggs in one basket.

anonymous23456

In the mean time, Amazon bought 5K Rivian EV.

Amazon-EDV11-980x654.jpg

textat3

Management will be become the new pt ups workforce, probably even the center manager will be broke up into 2 part time jobs, dispatch, pm dispatch. Would Save so much money.

dudebro

I think it was right after the 97 strike?
I remember it being 1995 - the same year UPS opened UPS stock purchases to all employees for the first time. I was 7 years in, All the drivers in my center (Newark NJ at the time) had big :censored2: eating grins and took pleasure in loudly addressing me with, "Good Morning, Partner!" all through dispatch that day. I remember the packet would have been completely illegal today because it was targeted to every management person reaching age 50 as of May 31 1995. Today that's age discrimination. There were some guys who were really upset because they missed the cutoff by a couple of days.

pkgdriver

I remember it being 1995 - the same year UPS opened UPS stock purchases to all employees for the first time. I was 7 years in, All the drivers in my center (Newark NJ at the time) had big :censored2: eating grins and took pleasure in loudly addressing me with, "Good Morning, Partner!" all through dispatch that day. I remember the packet would have been completely illegal today because it was targeted to every management person reaching age 50 as of May 31 1995. Today that's age discrimination. There were some guys who were really upset because they missed the cutoff by a couple of days.
Thats about the time I remember. An Account Executive and a LP took the offer in my center.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was part time in 97’ and remember some of the full time mgt were so pissed that the union workforce were given the opportunity to purchase stock…