Falsification multiple choice response.

oldngray

nowhere special
With savers the key point is any option other than residential when customer signs is tagged as a commercial stop with commit times.

10 point

With savers the key point is any option other than residential when customer signs is tagged as a commercial stop with commit times.
That was understood and the new sup who told us that we had four minutes to change (void) a late saver that the driver put as receiver instead of resi (on a signature delivery) acted like we all should have known that for some time already. Gee, it's not like next days are an important topic at ups.

But it's like getting the test first and the answers after it's graded. The company often gets an friend on communicating info to us (in a timely manner) that greatly affects our job

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Was that a corporate PCM or just a local one? I ask because we have a standing approved practice of calling the pickups to determine if we need to break to get them. On one of our routes we have 45 pickups and by calling, we can normally eliminate at least half of them a day.
So what happens when all 45 of them have something to go out and the dispatch has already been "adjusted" to reflect the fact that half of them normally don't ship? Who is responsible for calling them? And should the driver get "credit" for doing a pickup that he hasn't even been within a mile of?

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times per year I call my pickups. They are paying for daily service and they will get it without having to take the time to answer the phone. I will only call them under extreme weather conditions when getting up their driveway in the snow may not be possible.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So what happens when all 45 of them have something to go out and the dispatch has already been "adjusted" to reflect the fact that half of them normally don't ship? Who is responsible for calling them? And should the driver get "credit" for doing a pickup that he hasn't even been within a mile of?
I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times per year I call my pickups. They are paying for daily service and they will get it without having to take the time to answer the phone. I will only call them under extreme weather conditions when getting up their driveway in the snow may not be possible.

Not my rule, not being rogue, just following what is as much a rule as practice in our center. That's also the problem, dispatch is not adjusted when half don't ship nor is it if they all ship. The only benefit of calling is some of the later business stops usually don't get missed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not my rule, not being rogue, just following what is as much a rule as practice in our center. That's also the problem, dispatch is not adjusted when half don't ship nor is it if they all ship. The only benefit of calling is some of the later business stops usually don't get missed.

You are missing Sober's point. Your dispatch should be based on you physically going to each of the 45 pickup stops. By calling them (30 secs to 1 min each * 45 = 22.5 to 45 minutes wasted each day) you are actually hurting yourself as they are giving you more delivery work to compensate. You need to stop calling your pickups; yes, there will be an adjustment, and you may have missed businesses, but your dispatch will be adjusted and your pickup customers will get the service that they are paying for.

You are missing Sober's point. Your dispatch should be based on you physically going to each of the 45 pickup stops. By calling them (30 secs to 1 min each * 45 = 22.5 to 45 minutes wasted each day) you are actually hurting yourself as they are giving you more delivery work to compensate. You need to stop calling your pickups; yes, there will be an adjustment, and you may have missed businesses, but your dispatch will be adjusted and your pickup customers will get the service that they are paying for.

You also need to factor in miles to each also.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
You also need to factor in miles to each also.

Guys, I think we got sidetracked somewhere along the lines. I fully understand what each of you are saying and I agree, yet disagree on some things. We can agree to disagree and still have good dialogue about this subject. The route I'm speaking of is not my route. I was using it as an example in response to Upstate's comment regarding the pickup compliance PCM and sheeting at the location of said pickup.

Instead of asking the question if Dave's PCM was a corporate one or local one, I should have given the above example and SAID that there is no consistency within the company because at my center this practice is encouraged while at Upstate's, there is a PCM about it. You both have made two excellent points and sometimes it takes a second set of eyes to see things more clearly.

I have to admit, the calling does take some time and I totally brain farted the extra work and fewer miles theories to compensate for finishing the pickups quicker. Obviously, that's why it's an unwritten approved method at our center. Sounds like an additional driver spot being magically hidden. Too bad our steward wasn't as adamant about this as you two are.

Guys, I think we got sidetracked somewhere along the lines. I fully understand what each of you are saying and I agree, yet disagree on some things. We can agree to disagree and still have good dialogue about this subject. The route I'm speaking of is not my route. I was using it as an example in response to Upstate's comment regarding the pickup compliance PCM and sheeting at the location of said pickup.

Instead of asking the question if Dave's PCM was a corporate one or local one, I should have given the above example and SAID that there is no consistency within the company because at my center this practice is encouraged while at Upstate's, there is a PCM about it. You both have made two excellent points and sometimes it takes a second set of eyes to see things more clearly.

I have to admit, the calling does take some time and I totally brain farted the extra work and fewer miles theories to compensate for finishing the pickups quicker. Obviously, that's why it's an unwritten approved method at our center. Sounds like an additional driver spot being magically hidden. Too bad our steward wasn't as adamant about this as you two are.
Just do your job, the correct way. Problem solved! Everything Is black or white. No room for gray! even if gray is correct. WAD , do your job, collect paycheck,go home, repeat for decades!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Maybe that's where the problem lies, at our center, we are working as directed.
They cant direct you to use your personal phone to call pickups.

If your management wants to call all your pickups themselves that is their prerogative but you are under no obligation to use your own phone for that purpose.

oldngray

nowhere special
They cant direct you to use your personal phone to call pickups.

If your management wants to call all your pickups themselves that is their prerogative but you are under no obligation to use your own phone for that purpose.

I refused to use my personal phone for UPS business. I would send messages with DIAD. If UPS had wanted me to have a phone they would have given me one. When I got one of those stupid call center ASAP messages I would say I will call in 15 minutes because I need time to break off to get to a phone.