Fans in the trucks, dust!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Mr brownstone, Another career at this stage of my life isn't probable especially in this town. UPS can certainly find another driver to replace anyone of us. Just look at the PT list and you'll see a bunch of eager young guys waiting for you to retire. I protect my hearing as well. The noise level is too high. Yes your body is going to break down from doing 200-220 stops a day even if you follow all the "methods". That why I bid the route I bid. So I"ll actually be healthy enough to enjoy retirement when that day comes. For you to truly appreciate the dust level, I suggest you run a rural route some time. Black crap comes out of your nose all day. Dust levels and the parts per million are federally mandated by OSHA. Good luck in having OSHA come out and measure them though. It was a complete joke when I called them. I have no doubt that the back of my truck exceeds to levels and the front isn't much better. It is also my belief that we are UNION members and union members should stay together to fight the good fight. If you have a problem then I have a problem. I have always had my fellow brothers back. I come from a UNION family so that's how I was raised. Maybe you don't have the same concerns as I do but you should fight the issue with me. Not belittle me and tell me to get another career.
He's right though. You run a rural route. That's what comes with a rural route. It's not some trade secret.

1Simplemann

Still doesn't make it healthy or right. You sound like the old coal miners. "Black Lung? That comes with job! You should be glad you have a job!" Contract clearly states in A 18 S 17 that the company will eliminate AMAP fumes dust and moisture. If I can ride down a dusty road in my personal rig and not get dusty then it's possible. Farmers plow fields all day long and don't get dusty. I'm not asking for miracles. Just some extra seals in the front and the back. Less then $50. I'd do it myself but they would say "I altered the vehicle" and fire me. They fired the other guy. Besides who says it has to come with a rural route? We have rural guys in F250 that come home clean every day. The whole reason I joined this sight was to raise awareness. Look it up. This is a real disease. It's called SILICOSIS = Lung Cancer. I do my best to not breath it. I wear my Buff all the time and wash out my truck daily (On the clock of course) Besides it's also kinda embarrassing to deliver dirty pkgs. No matter how well you brush them off they are still dirty.

watdaflock?

What do the Arabs do?
Wear shemaghs.

Give those UPSers (in dusty states) an option, you either get some free brown socks or a shemagh, not both. I'm sure some nutjob NRA member wouldn't shoot at a driver, either.

cddd7be7c54c0c1680c7ea8427a69e01.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
When I cover the rural routes in my center, I wear a dust mask. It does make a big difference in how much black snot I blow out at the end of the day.

Indecisi0n

If what you're saying is true how is a fan going to stop this? It's just going to suck in the dirt from the rear and throw it in your face.

jaker

trolling
I have a semi rural route and what I do is either close the driver door to help and the really big one is drive slow enough to not kick up dirt

I learn something on a ojs ride , they can't tell you how fast to drive on a dirt road so I drove it at 5mph

1Simplemann

If what you're saying is true how is a fan going to stop this? It's just going to suck in the dirt from the rear and throw it in your face.
Two different issues. fan is not going to solve dust problem. never said it would. To reduce dust in the cab, i run with the doors closed. fan would just help move the air around and help with heat. $24 at the local truck stop. Not sure what you mean by saying "if" what I'm saying true. As for the dust that still comes in. I wash out the truck daily and wear a buff. That's about the best i can do. I could drive slower. 5mph is little slow though. I have 75-100 miles of gravel a day. I'd get done a midnight.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Two different issues. fan is not going to solve dust problem. never said it would. To reduce dust in the cab, i run with the doors closed. fan would just help move the air around and help with heat. $24 at the local truck stop. Not sure what you mean by saying "if" what I'm saying true. As for the dust that still comes in. I wash out the truck daily and wear a buff. That's about the best i can do. I could drive slower. 5mph is little slow though. I have 75-100 miles of gravel a day. I'd get done a midnight.
Easy money and MIGHT get their attention

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i put my own fan in the truck and they removed it. then i put it back in and they removed it. then i put it back in and they left it alone. most other issues i would bring up to my mechanic and he would take care of it without going to the supe.

they had to supply me with masks and ear plugs and safety glasses when i put chains on. it is in the contract that they have to supply you with anything you need to do your job right and in a safe manner.

you can also bring up these concerns with OSHA and see if you have any recourse there but that could/probably cause more problems.
I'm sorry but even for you this is a huge load of BS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have a semi rural route and what I do is either close the driver door to help and the really big one is drive slow enough to not kick up dirt

I learn something on a ojs ride , they can't tell you how fast to drive on a dirt road so I drove it at 5mph
Back in my runner days I remeber covering for a guy and he told me. This truck doesn't go over 25 on gravel do you hear me?

I didn't really know what he meant at the time. It was a p47 sprinter. I did 55/60 on gravel lol. But going slow makes a huge difference.

jaker

trolling
Not your problem , you feel that safety is at risk so you drive 5mph

You come on here complaining but in reality just drive to where you don't kick up dust and your issue goes away

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
While I can't answer your question I would say that you may be best in another career.

While dust concerns you and rightfully so, UPS can probably find another driver that doesn't share the same concern and won't fight the issue.

I have a feeling that the noise level in some of the older trucks I drive as a cover driver a not good for my hearing but have not tested the actual decibel levels to know for sure.

I think the general nature of this job is unsafe not matter how you look at it. For example, I don't believe our knees and joints were designed to get on and of a truck 400+ times a day (I do routes that go out with 200 to 220 stops) . I know the risk and am dealing with it for now but know I will only last 10 or so years.

What a joke...