Fed EX Working Hours

FedEx2000

I don't think there's an "Express" gene anymore than I think there's an "UPS" gene. Probably many Ground guys aren't going to work at Express due to background issues or maybe for some Express is too regimented. But if a guy is willing to work 60+ hrs for 40 hrs worth of pay, and does an honest job, he shouldn't have any problem doing Express routes. I've met some great Ground people and a couple of wacky ones. Really not fair to paint them all with the same brush because of the threat we perceive that division is to our future livelihood. They are just people taking what they can get and I doubt any of them would turn down better pay and benefits if it were offered.

No doubt many Ground drivers are hard working people that could easily handle working at Express, yet I can't help but wonder how many end up working 10+ hour days simply b/c they don't understand how to properly run the route in an efficient way....and neither does their contractor, or they wouldn't be doing so.

FedEx2000

BINGO. Being a DOT driver I get hit with surprise whiz quizzes whenever mgmt sees fit. The fact that they are random is a bunch of BS. Most of the ground guys I see on the road would be bailing at the first request for a sample.

Sorry to break it to you but they are random, we get an email notification to send whomever is selected.....being DOT isn't the only qualification, you must possess a CDL. That's why swings get picked all the time, they are almost the only ones who have their CDL anymore, unless a specific route requires it due to a large amount of DG/chance they might have to placard.

HomeDelivery

back on topic

to the OP, start looking for other contractors that will hire you with better pay if your original one isn't giving you what you deserve to run that route

HD is much easier than Ground
& Ground is easier than Express for what others have replied to already.

agree, split that route in 1/2 at least

I've went to multiple contractors in my 6 years, just because I like to explore my home area at the time. One of those contractors just finally made me an additional swing supplemental & the terminal was happy about that for a while since the setup of HD is differently from Ground or Express. (we get to pack our parcels in sequential order & have turn-by-turns along with a map printout)

Recently, i transferred to a HUB that was closer to home to reduce commute times and fuel... as a temp driver (getting paid by the hour/OT during peak).:surprised: by the amount of pay vs a contractor like yours is doing to you.
---------------------------------

I still keep an eye out on the job market; just keep on looking for a better job if you have the few hours on Monday after catching up with your rest:P

If other contractors see how good of a worker you are & your own isn't trying his best to retain you, jump ship to the other contractor! Just be straight with both of them so you don't burn any bridges when you want to go back.

If my family status didn't change, I'd still be working there Full time... because it's easy, fun, like the hard work & variety of places that I get to explore in my state. (Maybe I'll go back to being a Saturday-only delivery driver and relieve some of them occasionally until next peak season arrives)

bbsam

Staff member
No doubt many Ground drivers are hard working people that could easily handle working at Express, yet I can't help but wonder how many end up working 10+ hour days simply b/c they don't understand how to properly run the route in an efficient way....and neither does their contractor, or they wouldn't be doing so.

LOL. Yeah. That's it. We just never thought of route efficiencies. We pretty much grab the first package we see in the morning and that's our first stop. Of all the contractors we have and all the years experience, still we're helpless morons and lucky to be able to hold a map right side up let alone read one.:happy-very:

HomeDelivery

with HD, when I come in before I touch my pile of boxes... i goto the office to print out the map summary of my deliveries for the day.

If they make me go around in a spiral lollipop pattern, I immediately tell the manager to re-sequence my packages immediately! and make it so I can load the van more efficiently.

from Express drivers' lingo "straight line" is their term, i believe

Ground has to go in a spiral pattern to make those pickups

but I like to hit a zone of an area & move on to the next, not returning back to my 1st stop in a big loop

saves me time & saves the contractor's fuel cost

(why HD > Ground in this case)

FedEx2000

LOL. Yeah. That's it. We just never thought of route efficiencies. We pretty much grab the first package we see in the morning and that's our first stop. Of all the contractors we have and all the years experience, still we're helpless morons and lucky to be able to hold a map right side up let alone read one.:happy-very:

bbsam, I think you took offense where none was meant...that was not directed at you personally. That being said, why are there so many Ground drivers that have to run a 14 hour day just to finish, in your opinion?

bbsam

Staff member
No offense taken. I think there are drivers running 14 hours because the company in the last several year has been ridiculous in not approving new routes/contracts. They would use what are called "supplementals", basically contractors hiring drivers to run a route but only being paid about 70% of an actual contracted route. When that happens the contractor has much less capital to spend on vehicle, insurance, driver, etc. I literally had to stop running a supplemental several years ago to finally get the company to make it into a route. Of course that was the route that handles all the Hon office furniture accounts in the area and the company decided to spend an extra 30 grand to keep a multi-million dollar shipper. Not exactly rocket science on their part, but they are very tight with money. ISP should change that significantly. Alot more input about routes, shippers, customer needs and contractor needs to provide service.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
bbsam, I think you took offense where none was meant...that was not directed at you personally. That being said, why are there so many Ground drivers that have to run a 14 hour day just to finish, in your opinion?

How about the incentive of getting 14 hrs of work out of someone who is only paid for 8 hrs of straight time/salary? Nah, that couldn't possibly be it. Give me a break.

bbsam

Staff member
The number doesn't matter, unless it's over 8, At that point, labor is free. There's the incentive to work people well over 8 hours..just as planned.

It is what it is. What it is not is an hourly job. If you want to break it down to make yourself feel better about it, you are free to do so. 700 per week. Call it $10/hour x 40 hours per week = $400. $15/hour x 20 hours over-time = $300.

FedExer267

I am new to this forum and I a driver who works for a contractor at FHD Anniston, AL for two years now and well our terminal has been going through some negative changes; one is that three drivers have quit since the beginning of the year and I do the longest route of the terminal in mileage; it takes me over 70 miles and 1 ½ to 2 hours of driving to get to my first stop; I do a 15 mile wide rural area with very small towns (Western DeKalb County, AL) and the I drive 30 miles and about a 45 minute drive (narrow mountain steep roads) to get to a large town with a 20 mile wide area (Guntersville, AL) with a huge lake (Lake Guntersville) and narrow mountain roads to contend with.

Well the problem is this takes a very long time to complete and it is tiresome; on Saturday I arrived at the terminal at 7:00 am and left around 9:00 am and did not come back to the terminal till around 11:00 pm; a 16 hour day with no breaks. And this has been going on for a long time now. I have lost business to UPS because I cannot get to the place in time and the area (DeKalb County) is too small for a Fed Ex Ground truck to service.

To get to the point I receive a little more than $400 a week to work 13-16 hours a day (a few times working as late as 1:00 am)with no breaks and I have had customers, government officials, police officers, and even other UPS and Fed Ex drivers who have said you are getting screwed. Some Government officials and customers and even the doctor that does our DOT physicals have contacted officials regarding going over our hours of service and have even been suspended the two days before Christmas because I did not have enough hours left. With being diagnosed with high blood pressure and given my chances of finding another job (I have a hard time finding a job since 2005 when the economy was good and filled out 30+ applications to find my first job); what is the best thing I should do and has any other Fed Ex drivers experienced similar problems.
There are DOT Rules and regulations for a reason if you are working over 14 a day and 70 a week I would call the DOT and report my boss. If you are driving back to the building and you get in a wreck because you are sleepy and you are over 14 thats your job that is in jeopardy. Its nothing personal against your boss but you need to cover your butt. I would also get a copy of my paperwork just to make sure they are not manually changing the hours.
400 a week for over 70 hours is ridiculous thats 5.71 a hour well below minimum wage. Minimum wage is what 8 a hour which means at 50 hours a week you should be of the clock if you go pass 50 then you are entitled to OT because you are being paid well under minimum wage. Call DOT cover your butt and call the labor board. Don't get taken advantage of.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is what it is. What it is not is an hourly job. If you want to break it down to make yourself feel better about it, you are free to do so. 700 per week. Call it $10/hour x 40 hours per week = $400. $15/hour x 20 hours over-time = $300.

Scam. $6.66 per hour X 60 hours per week =$400. No OT=Total Scam.

bbsam

Staff member
Scam. $6.66 per hour X 60 hours per week =$400. No OT=Total Scam.

Are you pulling numbers out of your back-side? You know it is possible for one contractor to run a decent business and another to run a scam, but you insist the entire system is a scam. Whatever reason could you have for that?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you pulling numbers out of your back-side? You know it is possible for one contractor to run a decent business and another to run a scam, but you insist the entire system is a scam. Whatever reason could you have for that?

What I'm saying is that the overall Ground scheme is predicated upon the ability to extract free labor out of drivers, as in the case of someone who works for a salary of $400 per week and puts in 60 hours. That equals just over $6.66 per hour. No OT. Wow, what a deal...for you and FedEx. Even if you bump that to $600 salary per week, that's only $10 per hour with no OT, PLUS no benefits cost. That, my friend, is one tremendous bargain, even if the guy speaks Spanish and gets off 7 or 8 stops per hour. IMO, that's a total scam. You pay more, so it's less of a scam, but still not on the level.

Yep, I could sure support my family in total style on either $400 or $600 per week...if I lived in Botswana. What a joke. Fred and you get "free" labor, the drivers gets peanuts, and we (the taxpayer) pay the difference because the driver qualifies for public assistance in one form or another. Maybe Governor Walker of Wisconsin should concentrate his efforts upon FedEx Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
What I'm saying is that the overall Ground scheme is predicated upon the ability to extract free labor out of drivers, as in the case of someone who works for a salary of $400 per week and puts in 60 hours. That equals just over $6.66 per hour. No OT. Wow, what a deal...for you and FedEx. Even if you bump that to $600 salary per week, that's only $10 per hour with no OT, PLUS no benefits cost. That, my friend, is one tremendous bargain, even if the guy speaks Spanish and gets off 7 or 8 stops per hour. IMO, that's a total scam. You pay more, so it's less of a scam, but still not on the level.

Yep, I could sure support my family in total style on either $400 or $600 per week...if I lived in Botswana. What a joke. Fred and you get "free" labor, the drivers gets peanuts, and we (the taxpayer) pay the difference because the driver qualifies for public assistance in one form or another. Maybe Governor Walker of Wisconsin should concentrate his efforts upon FedEx Ground.

You might want to step into the 21st century here pretty soon. The way the potitics of this crazy world is going, it may end up being a pretty sweet deal.

LTFedExer

Were you this vocal about those drivers when they were still called RPS? I'm sure the money hasn't changed much.

purp_man

Hello. Ive been lurking for a bit and decided to jump in so here goes...

Ive been a driver at ground for just over 4 years. It is a job, not a career, yet i take pride in it because its my job.

I work about 10 hrs a day. Generally, i get in between 7 and 8 and my final stop is transmitted between 5 and 6. I deliver between 120 and 140 stops a day, w/ 200 to 300 pieces delivered and 100 to 200 picked up. I take home, after sam, between 1300 and 1400 every two weeks. I am not buying homes and boats and that new grand cherokee is a stretch monetarily but i'm not broke.

Do i feel taken advantage of by fedex? surely

Do i enjoy being outside shlepping boxes 5 days a week? most days i honestly do.

The way air drivers talk about their ground counterparts on these forums is ridiculous. I get along w/ all the driver on my route. ups to express, even the safety yellow dhl guy. Do they talk behind my back, i couldnt care less. I think most of the bitterness from air drivers towards groundies is that im the fedex guy to customers now. You come in w/ your envelope and they ask "where is the normal guy?" I'm sorry youre a courier fossil and dont get the respect you deserve since we've been coming around stealing all your volume. Mr. fedex are you really knocking out 25 stops an hour? Doubt it. Even if they are just envelopes your delivering the dodge sprinter you whip doesnt move thaat fast. Oh you drive a half empty at dispatch p1000, my mistake, i must be thinking of the pm p/u couriers, all three of them.

To the topic of this thread. My advice my friend is to look for a new contractor to work for. Ask around the terminal. Find out who is the contractor who has had drivers working for them long term, chances are there is a reason why. They prolly run an upstanding business and treat there employees like employees not disposable money makers. Best of luck and hang in there.