FedEX buying back Ground Routes

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
With all due respect, MFE, you have made this claim over and over again ad nauseum and it is no closer to happening than the first day you spat out the words "Fedex Ground".

The claim that Express service are going over to Ground, or that Ground is a scam? Actually, the first is probably true, and the second is certainly true. I know you have a vested interest in defending it because you do quite well at it.

Admit it. The ISP's are a front for FedEx, OK? You get your cut in return for providing a degree of legitimacy for the operation. I don't fault you for seeing an opportunity to make money, but I definitely fault the corporation for scamming the taxpayer and the poor bastards that drive for Ground. Smith is doing the same thing that WalMart does, and that is to create a government-subsidized workforce that burdens our health and social welfare systems so he can have ultra-low cost labor. So sorry, but that is a scam of major proportion.

vantexan

Admit it. The ISP's are a front for FedEx, OK? You get your cut in return for providing a degree of legitimacy for the operation. I don't fault you for seeing an opportunity to make money, but I definitely fault the corporation for scamming the taxpayer and the poor bastards that drive for Ground. Smith is doing the same thing that WalMart does, and that is to create a government-subsidized workforce that burdens our health and social welfare systems so he can have ultra-low cost labor. So sorry, but that is a scam of major proportion.

Does anyone think FedEx for a minute would have ISP go betweens if they could manage the drivers directly and still keep them with low pay and no benefits? The only reason ISP contractors like BBSam have this "opportunity" is it satisfies the legal technicality. FedEx didn't devise a system to provide great opportunities for hard working entrepreneurs to get ahead. They devised a system that met the criteria set by the courts and would provide the maximum profit for the company. Good for you BBSam for identifying the opportunity and making the most of it. But you are only there because this is the facade that FedEx must maintain. Otherwise your choice would be to either become a manager or move on to greener pastures.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Does anyone think FedEx for a minute would have ISP go betweens if they could manage the drivers directly and still keep them with low pay and no benefits? The only reason ISP contractors like BBSam have this "opportunity" is it satisfies the legal technicality. FedEx didn't devise a system to provide great opportunities for hard working entrepreneurs to get ahead. They devised a system that met the criteria set by the courts and would provide the maximum profit for the company. Good for you BBSam for identifying the opportunity and making the most of it. But you are only there because this is the facade that FedEx must maintain. Otherwise your choice would be to either become a manager or move on to greener pastures.

Nicely stated, and exactly the truth.

bbsam

Staff member
The claim that Express service are going over to Ground, or that Ground is a scam? Actually, the first is probably true, and the second is certainly true. I know you have a vested interest in defending it because you do quite well at it.

the problem is that out of one side of your mouth you call it a scam and out of the other you claim the ISP model satisfies a "legal technicality" that you also claim will someday be found to be illegal. That is the line you have towed and the line that has fallen flat time and time again. Your disdain for the system neither makes it illegal nor does it do anything to move it any closer to making it illegal. So the claim that it is a scam falls flatter and flatter every time the system is found by the courts and AG's to satisfy legal challenges.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
the problem is that out of one side of your mouth you call it a scam and out of the other you claim the ISP model satisfies a "legal technicality" that you also claim will someday be found to be illegal. That is the line you have towed and the line that has fallen flat time and time again. Your disdain for the system neither makes it illegal nor does it do anything to move it any closer to making it illegal. So the claim that it is a scam falls flatter and flatter every time the system is found by the courts and AG's to satisfy legal challenges.

Legal, for now.

bbsam

Staff member
The only thing that is required is to work OT everyday. Without pay
Not always. Simple math says that if I pay $150/day with an average of 10 hours a day, that is either $15/hr straight time, or it is roughly $13/hr and two hours at time and a half.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

The government-subsidized workforce existed before FedEx was anything more than a passing thought. Those who make up the largest portion of that long-term workforce are, have been, and will be those who are poorly educated, or are single parents, or both. The former tend to lack the skill to generate a decent income. The latter have a greater portion of their income eaten up by the expenses of raising kids. Both of them combined is a shame.

And we are, of course, let to believe that it's the fault of FedEx and WalMart!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The government-subsidized workforce existed before FedEx was anything more than a passing thought. Those who make up the largest portion of that long-term workforce are, have been, and will be those who are poorly educated, or are single parents, or both. The former tend to lack the skill to generate a decent income. The latter have a greater portion of their income eaten up by the expenses of raising kids. Both of them combined is a shame.

And we are, of course, let to believe that it's the fault of FedEx and WalMart!

So you obviously condone substandard wages where hard working people should be bailed out by taxpayers so the bosses can live luxury?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So you obviously condone substandard wages where hard working people should be bailed out by taxpayers so the bosses can live luxury?

The market won't, and doesn't, support substandard wages. But since you brought it up....

More often than not, long-term poverty is a behavioral issue. The identified traits of the long-term poor tend to reinforce that. A job doesn't create poverty; a job doesn't pay poverty wages. A married woman with at least a high school education and no kids earning the same pay at WalMart as a single dropout mom with 2 kids is probably living a much easier life. The problem isn't with the rate of pay.

I see no reason to pay someone $20/hour to stock shelves. If you're benevolent and just wanna do it, go for it, but otherwise, no. That's insane.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The market won't, and doesn't, support substandard wages. But since you brought it up....

More often than not, long-term poverty is a behavioral issue. The identified traits of the long-term poor tend to reinforce that. A job doesn't create poverty; a job doesn't pay poverty wages. A married woman with at least a high school education and no kids earning the same pay at WalMart as a single dropout mom with 2 kids is probably living a much easier life. The problem isn't with the rate of pay.

I see no reason to pay someone $20/hour to stock shelves. If you're benevolent and just wanna do it, go for it, but otherwise, no. That's insane.

A lot of Ground drivers I see work just as hard as we do. No, they don't have to have the same time-management skills, but flat-rating their job or paying $12-$14 per hour with no benefits is just wrong.