FedEx Ground

dmac1

I got out in 2005. But the settlement numbers are actually pretty fair for most, especially for those who sold their routes after getting them for nothing. The settlement doesn't offer any punitive awards, which I think a jury trial for damages would be likely to award. The damages that most suffered as employees being designated as contractors comes down to being forced to pay the employers share of payroll taxes, the cost of uniforms, scanners, and being forced to buy insurance. It comes out to $12,000 per year. For someone who spent 10 years or more as a 'contractor' it adds up to a decent amount. As I stated, I was never upset with the pay- I got what I agreed to. Where I was wrong was in being treated like an employee, with extra-contractual demands being placed unilaterally upon me.

FedGT

I don't know if ours started that this last week or not but I know they did do it last Sunday cause my Tuesday was jacked up. If it is going on from now on it would have been nice to get a heads up about it.

I hadn't heard about HD, when did that announcement happen?

FedExer267

I have been hearing that for awhile that HD will become a Mon thru Sat operation.. Guess the contractors better start looking for PTers.. I have heard by next year did not know it was this summer.

dmac1

I don't know if ours started that this last week or not but I know they did do it last Sunday cause my Tuesday was jacked up. If it is going on from now on it would have been nice to get a heads up about it.

I hadn't heard about HD, when did that announcement happen?

That's a lot of overtime pay.

bacha29

I believe the permanent 6 day work week is due to 2 reasons. An effort to emulate the USPS and the never ending practice of overselling the service. They see Monday as unused capacity and they are going to exploit it to the fullest over and above contractor objections. Of course when it came to business planning and objectives contractors never had any say in the matter and never will. It was always adapt even if it meant putting more capital at risk or we'll get somebody else. For contractors it's a no win situation and every contractor will eventually reach the end of their tolerance for it.

Bounty

I believe the permanent 6 day work week is due to 2 reasons. An effort to emulate the USPS and the never ending practice of overselling the service. They see Monday as unused capacity and they are going to exploit it to the fullest over and above contractor objections. Of course when it came to business planning and objectives contractors never had any say in the matter and never will. It was always adapt even if it meant putting more capital at risk or we'll get somebody else. For contractors it's a no win situation and every contractor will eventually reach the end of their tolerance for it.
I'm sure it will be negotiable. Hahaha. I crack myself up sometimes.

Bounty

Or saying the same thing over and over and over and over, and thinking they are clever or even remotely funny
I say it over and over because it's true. Will you be able to negotiate it or will it be shoved down your throat?........ I think you know.

dmac1

Your expenses may be higher because volume won't go up by 20% right off the bat, so you'll be delivering about the same number of stops per week, but fewer per day. If your driver drives a 10k lb truck or less, overtime will apply if you can't rotate shifts. One advantage- the other days will have fewer stops, so if you pay by the hour, you might save a little, plus the extra van allowance- if they still have that. But you will be increasing maintenance costs by 20% by driving the route an extra day. 6 day weeks for long routes could be broken down into two shifts- 3 day workweek about 12 hours a day.

FedGT

Many ways to handle it. Best by far is biting the bullet and trading to own both ground and HD in same area. Dissipate HDs volume on Monday through a couple drivers and vice versa on Saturdays with ground.
Being all Ground I don't think about it too much, I am sure it will happen but will be pretty surprised if it does in the next couple years.

bacha29

It will come because the USPS delivers 6 days per week and I believe that the USPS has been old Fred's target all along. What ever new direction X takes it will be decided behind closed doors and no contractor will be present to have say in the matter. Whatever new operations plan it will be handed to the so called "entrepreneurs" to effect with revenues , latitude and protocols still controlled by X. As for IWBF's little dig about SWA contractors in 2015, I respond by asking IWBF this question. If you are as good as you think you are, why were you not there on Day 1 when your terminal when it first opened? It was all SWA when it opened and SWA's were the trailblazers who got operations going long before you arrived and no doubt they got along just fine without you.