Integrating FedEx Express into Ground

bacha29

Omg. Sounds like a 24/7 s*it show. And so attractive to job seekers.
Right now it's impossible to project what the final product will look like given that right now it would appear that no two terminals will be alike with a workforce comprised of this amalgamated mess of transient Ground grunts and ex Express drivers believing that finding themselves working for Ground contractors for scraps, peanuts and roadkill is just a temporary situation and they will soon return to life as it once was.

MAKAVELI

Apparently it's a fiasco, i think at some in their experiment they will realize they proposed another impossible and just close up shop

They are working 14 hr days with 2 separate scanning devices.
I doubt this will be sustainable, especially because Pakistani Raj does not want to pay overtime.
I think at some point they won't have a choice but to increase wages and hire more drivers. The alternative is to just close up shop.

Aquaman

Right now it's impossible to project what the final product will look like given that right now it would appear that no two terminals will be alike with a workforce comprised of this amalgamated mess of transient Ground grunts and ex Express drivers believing that finding themselves working for Ground contractors for scraps, peanuts and roadkill is just a temporary situation and they will soon return to life as it once was.
Whatever the end result is, I agree it’s not going to be a smooth, integrated operation like they’re hoping for. They can follow through with their plan, and I’ll follow through with mine. Do as little as possible and rob the company of my paycheck every week. I’ll do that for as long as the place is open. Then they can pay me a fat severance check to go drive elsewhere.

MassWineGuy

If and when push comes to shove, I’m holding out to get fired. My unemployment compensation will be more than the severance.

From what my manager understands, ours will remain an Express “legacy” station, probably for a couple of years or more. No Ground. I believe him. He’s not lied to me yet. But tomorrow is another day.

Ours is a very large market, so they’d be very stupid to mess with it too soon.

El Morado Diablo

It's amazing to me how FedEx determines the path of a package from point A to point B. I had a customer ask me today about a package that was picked up by Express in the same town as our station. He was confused by the routing the package was taking so he asked me about it. Here's what happened:

Express picks up package. Destination is 45 miles away. Package flown 150 miles to ramp. Package is then put on a trailer for a 365 mile ride to the nearest Ground hub. Package is then put on a trailer for a 305 mile ride to the Ground station in the same town it was shipped from (about 12 miles from the Express station).

This package could have stayed in the Express network and traveled about 50 miles. Instead it traveled about 850 miles by plane & truck/van. I would guess this is an extreme example but how is that saving the company money?

Hax

It's amazing to me how FedEx determines the path of a package from point A to point B. I had a customer ask me today about a package that was picked up by Express in the same town as our station. He was confused by the routing the package was taking so he asked me about it. Here's what happened:

Express picks up package. Destination is 45 miles away. Package flown 150 miles to ramp. Package is then put on a trailer for a 365 mile ride to the nearest Ground hub. Package is then put on a trailer for a 305 mile ride to the Ground station in the same town it was shipped from (about 12 miles from the Express station).

This package could have stayed in the Express network and traveled about 50 miles. Instead it traveled about 850 miles by plane & truck/van. I would guess this is an extreme example but how is that saving the company money?
I've had that happen at least twice but they were able to catch it. The high school ordered a few large boxes from a local manufacturing place 3 miles away. I picked it up one day, delivered it the next.

However, I've also dealt with your example where something is picked up from the same town it's delivered to and the ship date is almost a week apart from when I dropped it off so it probably traveled a ton of unnecessary miles.

Nolimitz

you guys dont have a local station identifier? Ours was "88" rather than MEMH or OAK. All 88's were pulled at the pm sort for local delivery the next day or two.

El Morado Diablo

you guys dont have a local station identifier? Ours was "88" rather than MEMH or OAK. All 88's were pulled at the pm sort for local delivery the next day or two.

You could bleed off the local packages but that wouldn't get them to the local Ground station. They sweep our counter every day but we don't give them any packages from our sort operation.

Artee

We do the same. We hold our local market freight from all 3 stations and an RTD picks up the cans and takes them to the ramp. They don't send that stuff down to the hub. It probably depends on the market and if they have a ramp. If no ramp the packages end up taking a drive. We are probably doing 4 positions a night of local bleed off. If some of these places only have a dozen packages for the same town the next day it costs more for someone to shuttle them over to Ground than have them take a trip around the state.

yadig

We send rtd’s to Memphis everyday with 4 empty cans and they bring 1 empty can back. What ya think dano?

zeev

This will be FedEx s undoing switching packages between Ground and Express while still keeping both systems which drains both of resources and Fast Freddy has taken money out of the company with an accelerated stock repurchase program so the chance of going full employee is probably gone. Fred like any good executive is looking to drain all the money out of the company and ride off into the sunset.

Aquaman

This will be FedEx s undoing switching packages between Ground and Express while still keeping both systems which drains both of resources and Fast Freddy has taken money out of the company with an accelerated stock repurchase program so the chance of going full employee is probably gone. Fred like any good executive is looking to drain all the money out of the company and ride off into the sunset.
One this is for certain, this plan of theirs does not involve keeping Express around in its current form. That saves them no money. Which is the entire reason for all this.

FedupExpress

FedEx is retarded that's why, another reason why they are going out of business.
One this is for certain, this plan of theirs does not involve keeping Express around in its current form. That saves them no money. Which is the entire reason for all this.

I see them hiring a lot of people off the street right now even though there is a "hiring freeze". I am glad Saturday was my last day...

Harrison

FedEx could go the Amazon route where they own the trucks and the contractor just provides the labor or something like that.
That’s a good thought but, FedEx wants to decrease as much liability on themselves as possible. Owning the trucks will create an extra expense.